wading depth

jobby

4x4 response training says no more than centre of hub deep, but preferably much less.

The problem is buoyancy, all monocoque constructed vehicles will float quite easily, side currents and loss of traction are more of a concern than air ingress into the engine.

Most differentials are vented to air, to avoid over pressurisation, when the oil temperature gets up.

A submerged diff will cool rapidly and draw water in, which will turn the oil to mayonnaise!

I am not sure, but I doubt, if Yeti diffs have extended breathers.

Vehicles adapted to ford deep water have a number of modifications, beyond an extended air intake.

In our sun soaked country not a problem we come across regularly but how deep can a yeti go into water and drive out?

I presume that was irony? :huh:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I would think this is about as deep as you would want to go...... :happy:

Yeti-72.jpg

I've waded mine in at that depth over here and in Austria a couple of times now with zero issues. It's as much about being sensible and smooth and creating the bow wave in front of the vehicle. Just watch out for other gung- ho types in the same bit of water! For reference, the air intake is located at the highest point of the top main grill, to the right (our passenger side).
  • Like 2

The important factor can be that you think you know how deep you can wade, you enter the water and proceed,

then another driver coming in the opposite direction does not give your wading depth any thought and just trundles or powers

through the water drowning your car with their bow wave..

george

EDIT,

sorry the above post was saying the same as me as i typed.

The important factor can be that you think you know how deep you can wade, you enter the water and proceed,

then another driver coming in the opposite direction does not give your wading depth any thought and just trundles or powers

through the water drowning your car with their bow wave..

george

EDIT,

sorry the above post was saying the same as me as i typed.

Yes nearly lost an Astra van in those circumstances, just about making headway through a section of flooded road when a big Japanese 4x4 powered through the other way; bow wave went over the roof and the engine almost died on me :S

About the only time I've tried getting a vehicle through such a situation and I didn't like it. The vans 1.7 TDI engine only made headway in first and you could really feel the force of the water resisting the vehicles movement. Therefore I now tend to turn round and try find another route.

TP

Thanks for all the replies guys .I think what I was relly asking is where isbthe air in take . During winter I regularly have to wade through a flooded river to get to work usually about 9 inches deep

The official limit is to the bottom of the door sill, however I have certainly been in (carefully) up to nearly the top of the sill, just below the door. However I would say that it probably isn't a good idea to do it too often, and to do it PROPERLY!! Slow in and then gradually build up speed to build a bow wave in front of the car, ensuring that you do not go too fast to make a breaking wave.

And as I always advise, and as is taught by 4x4 Response.......................

IF IN DOUBT, DONT!!

• Like 2