skoda fabia rough start

Hi Guys

I have noticed when starting my wifes fabia that the engine rattles a bit.

Sounds like an older type car or V8 after you turn the key.

The enigine seems to shake slightly but noticeable ( running unround).

The outside temperature is about 24 degrees celcius so not cold at all.

It turns to normal after a minute or two but I found it still strange being a brandnew car (6month).

Any of you guys experienced the same? Surely can't be normal, right?

2012 Fabia RS 135kw.

Welcome to the Forum.

Is it running 98 or 99 RON Fuel? As recommended.

If this continues then probably best have the Dealership run it on the Diagnostics and check,

just incase of Spark Plug or Coil Problems.

EDIT, 

Surprisingly 24*oC here as well today and no rough idling.

george

I'll be honest my car runs the same had vpower nitro, tesco momentum, and sainsburys super unleaded no difference to high idle.I just presumed running a tmc box with cold engine over fuelling was the reason?I've had mine at my work in Skoda Dundee no faults just a standard over fuel I recon:rolleyes:

thanks mate, interesting

I'll be honest my car runs the same had vpower nitro, tesco momentum, and sainsburys super unleaded no difference to high idle.I just presumed running a tmc box with cold engine over fuelling was the reason?I've had mine at my work in Skoda Dundee no faults just a standard over fuel I recon:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Forum.

Is it running 98 or 99 RON Fuel? As recommended.

If this continues then probably best have the Dealership run it on the Diagnostics and check,

just incase of Spark Plug or Coil Problems.

EDIT, 

Surprisingly 24*oC here as well today and no rough idling.

george

Cheers Mate

We definately run only the good stuff 98ron.

There is no 99 available in Oz (I think).

Mine does that too. But I'm pretty sure it is normal if we're talking about the same thing.

When I start the engine it revs to just above 1k revs. It sits there for a while and can sometimes feel a little rough, then it gradually falls to normal idle (just below 1k revs). It has always done this and I don't drive it until it settles.

I have not had any issues with my car in c.13k miles. Always been run on premium unleaded (usually Tescos Momentum).

It is only normal if they all do that, or most do.

They do not all do that only some might, so only normal for ones that run rough or rattles a bit. Many are smooth.

Some 2010/11 CAVE engines might need a ECU Update if they never had one already.

Plugged in at 24 month/20,000 mile 'Inspection Service' and checked and possibly Update done if required.

george

Problem is if I take it to the dealer they will,say it's normal and nothing will be done.

I'm not so worried however can't workout why a new car in hot wetaher would behave like this after starting the engine.

I would feel better if somebody could actually explain why?

My vrs done this and this one. Dealer tech told me it was because the oil filter is on the top of the engine directly above the oil pump and some of the oil drains back to the sump. So its like starting your car after an oil change

It is normal. Mine does this too. It's rough for about 30 seconds at ~1.100 rpm and then settles to ~800. I think it is the cold start, but it's called 'cold' due to cold engine and not due to amboent temperature.

A Skoda tech told me that this occurs more often during summer time because the car tries to raise catalyst's temperature and oil pressure. He also told me than there might be an instant (c.a. 2 seconds) rattle that is not from cam chain, but because the engine is drained from oil. If he lied to me then I lie to you too.

As i said its normal on the ones that are obvious in doing it.

Many and that will be the majority, start and run without roughness, and that is normal.

So its down to what owners are prepared to accept as normal.

Conditions and temperatures can and will effect vehicles.

But normal is most often petrol cars that start and run and do not have you thinking, this is noisy. can something be wrong,  

That is not how they were designed to be.

Technicians do often seem to suffer from Loss of their Senses, Hearing seems to go first when at work.

Seldom do they accept the Normal Behaviour from their cars that they think Customers should accept.

If you want to see how quick the Oil in an Engine gets up to the oil filter.

Dip the Oil Cold, then do the 'Jabozuma Oil check'.

Turn the key start the engine & stop right away.

Dip the Oil, the difference on the dipstick from cold un-started & now is the oil already up in the filter.

We have the correct viscosity of oil in for the conditions we use the cars in and Cold & Hot starts and quick lubrication.

We have Thermostats that keep the coolant in the block until the engine at temperature.

24*oC is a good starting temp.

*This morning mine started after a * 4 degree cold/frost BOING', just a start up and run normal, not noisy.* That is normal.

Started the same as 6-7 days ago when it was 24*oC, sounded the same.

george

Just seen this thread...

My observations are that the car will idle high (1100rpm) for something like 30 seconds to a minute - I haven't timed it to be sure exactly how much. It also seems to sound "rattly", but this may be more due to the exhaust (and mine has the central resonator/muffler removed so that could be the reason). Like the others I will wait until the revs drop before setting off. A couple of times I've had the car choke slightly when driving away without a short warm-up, whether from misfire or some sort of fuel starvation, I'm not sure. It might have been slightly bad fuel, however.

It may well depend on what you are calling "rough". Me, I'm not sure what is normal as neither of my last two cars (a Focus 2L petrol and a Falcon 4L) had a super- and turbo-charged small motor.

EDIT: Another observation just occurred to me. The water temperature in the 1.4 TSI also seems to take ages to warm up, at least according to the gauges. The Focus would hit 90 degrees within a kilometre; the Fabia sometimes takes three kilometres. It seems this motor just takes a while to hit its straps. Even in summer the oil temperature takes at least fifteen minutes to hit 90, which seems to be its normal running temperature.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 2

If you actually put on an accurate way of checking the coolant temp, its not as that gauge on the cars dashboard shows.

Not like Zero then actually just at around 90*oC Coolant Temp.

Staying at showing around 90*oC Coolant while the oil temp is well in the 100's and rising.

& the Oil Temp getting to 50*oC in my case in about 5-10 miles and then to 88*oc between 15-20 miles in a day of the ambient of around 15*oC, (92 used to be my normal running temp showing in summer here, but its back down to 88*oC due to good oil in again.)

But the cars Oil Temp Indication is not that accurate either, to the real temp of the oil, just a day to day comparison really.

Just a loose approximation of things.

(The fans/coollers are always working to get the Oil and the Coolant at around 90*oC for economy and performance and efficient running. Oil is the coolant as well as the lubrication.)

When starting a cold engine the thermostat basically stays closed to get the engine to the temperature (Coolant to temp.)

where it opens and allows the coolant around the whole system.

Twinchargers and modern cars/engines with Catalytic Converters etc do need to work different from the olden days and basic engines. (like no manual chokes any more for one thing, to regulate the Air Fuel mixture, but then that has been for a few decades now.)

We might run similar Coolant, Oil & in similar Temperatures sometimes.

Your car is upside down in Oz, so maybe the gauges are more accurate with you.

george

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Any news on this? (sorry to resurrect old thread).

I'm experiencing the same "issue" - right after starting the engine from cold (11C here), the revs run around 1100 before dropping down to 800 after around 30s. 

Also, how does it normally take to start? I cannot say it takes too long from cold, but it does seem longer compared to my 1.4TSI 125hp, which is on almost instantly. The Fabia takes I would estimate around 1s until it starts.

(Running on 98RON in Fabia and 95ron in the other car)

Edited by zard

Starting on higher revs and then dropping is OK,

but that should not feel or sound rough.

(i take it your not touching the throttle)

Sound like it is not running right,

through this post and others, some accept rough starting.

11*oC is a decent days weather here, and the car should start right on the key even at Minus 11*oC.

You have had a ECU Up date, had the fuel pump changed, got new spark plugs, so it must be something else.

Sorry but not a clue what it is.

Not particularly cold, Good Fuel, Good Air Filter, Good plugs, possibly a sensor.

Best ask a Technician what they think, or try another Twincharger and see if it feels rough as well.

?? Have you looked at the Air Filter, to see if it is clean, or has it been replaced?

george

Thanks!

I'm just thinking whether I may be over-cautious after the recent problems. It always starts at the first turn of the key, it just takes slightly longer compared to the other car. This is only when cold - when warmed up, it is also almost instant.

I personally would not worry too much about the increased revs - they drop down soon and it's just probably part of the normal process. I will record couple of cold starts and post them here later for you guys to see if it takes too long or if it's normal.

Thanks!

That is a good idea.

It is -1*oC here, been near freezing most of the day and my cars not moved for 12 hours.

Went to the car, just got in, turned the key and it starts as the key turns, the RPM is straight to 1,100 and sits steady, engine smooth a not noisy.

That was no lights on, no A/C and the fan at 1 on demist.

(if i reversed the Fan would speed up and the Air Intake would close.)

Just how they should be, a quiet smooth engine.

I know it sounds silly but often a partly blocked fuel filter can present strange symptoms. With them only costing around £15 from eurocarparts or carparts4less, delivered free, its worth a check and it cannot do any harm anyway to change it if you have any dirt in it, have mis-fuelled or have covered a few miles.  Assuming the filter is similar to the diesel Fabia, it is very simple to change and very easy to access in the engine bay. At least you will eliminate a potential fault AND know you are getting a good, clean flow of juice to help things run smoothly.

• Like 1

Please let us know where these Inline Fuel Filters are on the Twincharger once you find them.

george

EDIT.

mrgf.

Please accept my apology 26/01/2016.

We found the Inline filters after a few started having issues and required to replace the filters that were not 

on the Service Schedule / Guidelines.  Now many Dealerships are replacing them at 40,000 miles.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

zard, exactly as you described.

I did a cold start there,  2.5*oC outside,  car starts on the turn of the key, and goes to 1,100 rpm, but i had to wait 1 minute and it slowly and smoothly dropped to 800 rpm.

so, Stopped the engine, restarted, straight to 1,100 rpm and 1 minute it was down to 800 rpm.

Just did my first recording - I do not know if I was getting crazy yesterday evening or if it was like this. Will keep recording more cold starts and share them later, here is the first (after approx 12 hours sitting outside).

More info:

- battery is approaching 4 years of life but in December they did a battery stress test (part of Czech MOT) and it was ok

- the lights were on - they switch on automatically with ignition as DRL (got a little button next to fuses to switch the feature off)

- AC off, fan switched off

- the revs went down from 1100 to 800 in around 45s

Edited by zard