XDS , Brake and Steering assist

Sparkly

I just turned everything to 11:)

Steering assist was set to 4 light vehicule and I switched to number 2 GTI/RS no idea why it wasn't on this, it feels much much better.

XDS is being trialled at 2 (max) same as brake assist. Haven't had much chance to really give the xDS a workout so may downgrade if it seems mechanically unsympathetic to the car when pushed. Braking feels more responsive.

I definitely think the car should at least come from factory with these steering and braking parameters set, the extra weight has a premium feel and for me adds a little sharpness to the car, quicker response to input.

I think having the XDS on mine turned up to the max might have contributed to the failed power steering with the way it tugs the brakes to curb understeer. Probably magnified by runnering bigger brakes.

I turned the brake assist of completely. I want the brakes to work dependant on how much I press them not how much the car thinks it needs. Haf it on max Rockingham once and it irritated the hell out of me.

• Like 1

Hi Sy, when researching the codes for doing this I saw an identical post from you, going to be careful with the XDS. As above I haven't really pushed it yet to see how it responds.

The steering weight on the Polo GTI Setting is really nice and for me a big improvement, the braking on my driving today gave a nice feel but that is just in day to day driving, I can fully appreciate on track it might not be what you want. For interest my car when we looked on vagcom was set to no braking assist, no XDS or lowest setting and steering at number 4 light vehicle and very light compared to the setting labeled GTI/RS which I assume is how the Polo GTi comes and maybe the vRS should.

The most obvious thing with the Polo is the 215/40 17 tyres, put them on the vRS then there is a little difference.

Then the Polo has the battery in the boot and no spare wheel.

And the Polo is  still slightly heavier than a vRS with Weights on and spare wheel,

but the Polo is balanced quite well..

Sy had the light battery and the wider tyres as well as the suspension mods, no idea about weights on or off,

maybe he drove a Polo GTI and can comment and compare on the Steering assistance.

I had set for less assistance with 205's on, then went back to factory setting with 215 Bridgestones on.

george

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/cars/audi-a1-review-50006391

Always worth having a drive in an Audi Twincharger, it is a weird driver/steerer.

What is the location for the steering and brakes in VCDS?  The brakes on my 2013 VRS don't feel very responsive at all compared to my Octy.