Fabia vrs mk2 oil consumption software upgrade

cbennett

Hi everyone,

I'm currently going through the motions with the dealership and skoda to solve the issue of high oil consumption ...as many of you have done also looking through the threads. I've completed the oil consumption checks to prove there is an issue and consequently had the breather pipe mod fitted and was given the go ahead for an engine replacement last week (currently a CAVE). My car went in this week and I was given a phone call to tell me my car hasn't had its engine replaced as skoda wanted the dealership to upgrade the "electronic software" of the car before changing the engine to check if that improves the consumption. Also the limit for oil consumption is 0.5L per 1000km. What figures have people had, because the breather pipe made my consumption a lot worse.

Has anyone else had this software upgrade? As looking through the forum I can't see it mentioned....by the looks of it most people have the breather pipe fitted but I can't see anything about software upgrades.

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi everyone,

I'm currently going through the motions with the dealership and skoda to solve the issue of high oil consumption ...as many of you have done also looking through the threads. I've completed the oil consumption checks to prove there is an issue and consequently had the breather pipe mod fitted and was given the go ahead for an engine replacement last week (currently a CAVE). My car went in this week and I was given a phone call to tell me my car hasn't had its engine replaced as skoda wanted the dealership to upgrade the "electronic software" of the car before changing the engine to check if that improves the consumption. Also the limit for oil consumption is 0.5L per 1000km. What figures have people had, because the breather pipe made my consumption a lot worse.

Has anyone else had this software upgrade? As looking through the forum I can't see it mentioned....by the looks of it most people have the breather pipe fitted but I can't see anything about software upgrades.

Many thanks,

Chris

I think they often do these things without telling the owner during the services (which is why it is important to get done by a Skoda dealer rather than third party I think).

At sometimes the Fabia VRS seems to use a litre every few thousand and at other times only a litre or so in 5 to 10 thousands, cannot work it out.

I know my car feels much better after the service with new plugs and perhaps the software has been tweaked to stop the engine being trashed when cold (more wear and oil burning occurs in first two minutes than following two hours).  ECU will not hold huge amount more code and you cannot put in more sensors so changes must be simple, it is not like the new Octy 3 which has many times more processing and memory size.

Garage or SUK should tell you what is the latest version for your CAV engine but the problem with oil consumption is clearly mechanical in nature it appears rather than electronic and pushing for a new engine should be everyones goal who has the problem.    

Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that you are being messed about by Skoda. In my case I went from breather modification to engine replacement without any fuss. The ECU update should have been done at the same time as the oil breather. I noticed some very subtle differences in how the car ran after the ECU update. However the major point here is that the breather modification has not worked in the majority of cases. It made my oil consumption worse. There have been at least 20 reported cases (UK only) on this forum of the oil breather modification not resolving the problem. I've only seen one positive report. It's a similar case with VW Polo GTI's. I'm surprised the oil breather is still being offered as a fix.

Skoda want happy customers. We are not happy when we have to keep taking our car back to the dealer. Talk directly to Skoda customer services and insist that you are taken to the next stage rather than being messed about. Usually a further oil consumption test is required following the breather mod before the engine is replaced. Fortunately I got away with just one oil consumption test throughout the whole process.

The handbook limit for oil consumption is 0.5 L per 1000 km. For the oil consumption test it is done on the basis of measured weight loss.

• 3 months later...

Hi. I have a 2013 fabia vrs and it has burnt through about 3 litres of oil in the 3000 miles with no abuse of the throttle. I was concerned about this having read some other complaints but now that I've seen this thread I'm thinking it's more serious? There doesn't seem to be any ill effect in performance so far but it's pretty hard on the wallet going through so much. Any advice on how to start the process with skoda?

• Like 1

Hi. I have a 2013 fabia vrs and it has burnt through about 3 litres of oil in the 3000 miles with no abuse of the throttle. I was concerned about this having read some other complaints but now that I've seen this thread I'm thinking it's more serious? There doesn't seem to be any ill effect in performance so far but it's pretty hard on the wallet going through so much. Any advice on how to start the process with skoda?

There lies your problem. Start abusing the throttle regularly and it will most likely burn less oil :-)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Be sure you know how to check the Oil & do not Overfill.

Do the Hot check,

Then know where that is on a Cold Check.

Have 3.6 litres of oil in the engine.

SKODA/VAG Say.

& this is for for every type of engine from 3 cylinder petrol or diesel to V8's.

They have said it for many years now.

"It is normal for the engine to consume oil.

The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5l/1000 km depending on your driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle.

The oil consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5000 km."

This is obviously rubbish and unacceptable,

But they publish that.

So,

Keep a record of the Oil Used,

Call and Email Skoda UK and Register your Concern.

Then get the Vehicle Booked in to a Dealership for Checks if thats what is required.

Get a Courtesy car and do not accept your car back untill of Merchantable Quality.

ie

Not an Oil User.

But first see how it is on 98 or 99  RON Petrol and some enthusiastic driving now that it is Run In.

all the best.

George

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread.

I was putting together the Twincharger Oil Use threads from 2010/11 until now.

Going to put all the links in one post.

I gave up,

after finding more than 15 threads all basically about the same thing.

Skoda not dealing with the problem properly, 

and getting all UK Dealerships aware of the various issues that car arise on the cars from June 2010- October 2012.

(& some CTHE Engines, Late 2012-now.)

• 11 months later...

Bumped for a member being asked to pay.

Now 5 years since VW / Seat then Skoda found out there were issues with the 1.4 TSI 132 kw CAVE Engines which they discontinued 

in 2012 & they Produced and uprated engine and Software (Engine Management.)

Skoda UK & the Brand Director Alasdair Stewart should be ashamed at who paying customers are treated with engines that VW Built 

& Skoda fitted.