Changing DSG shift habits?

Is it correct that you can influence the shift habits of D mode in DSG if you drive around manually for a few hundred miles?

D shifts far too early for my liking making the car feel sluggish, but S mode is too rev happy as well.

We have found with our car that gear change is swift enough but usually because of throttle stabbing, so not feathering the throttle, I have not noticed the gearbox learning although some say they have with there cars.

For me the gearbox definitely adapts in the same way the engine does when you improve airflow.

Things like going up inclines and how long the car holds gear is directly related to how you drive and changes. This for me is very noticable.

However I don't know how the calculation is made and how the DSG adapts exactly, on the road a weeks driving seems enough to impact.

For me the gearbox definitely adapts in the same way the engine does when you improve airflow.

Things like going up inclines and how long the car holds gear is directly related to how you drive and changes. This for me is very noticable.

However I don't know how the calculation is made and how the DSG adapts exactly, on the road a weeks driving seems enough to impact.

DSG have a inclinometer in the box but I am not sure it has a learn mode for paddles/tiptronic as it would assume you are in D or S most of the time.  Sensors wear and decay and have to work with the engine management unit and human input and those inputs sometime confuse and confound the box.  

Overall a great box though needs more ratios, at least one possibly 3.

I was referring to Drive mode learning, made no claim as to how, manual seems unlikely. My guess would have been tracking how throttle is applied, regularity aggression etc possibly holding gear longer if you boot it a lot in drive.

My car 'seems' to want to hold gears more if I have engaged in some brisk progress. Most notable uphill where the hold can seem excessive.

All interesting info though

I was referring to Drive mode learning, made no claim as to how, manual seems unlikely. My guess would have been tracking how throttle is applied, regularity aggression etc possibly holding gear longer if you boot it a lot in drive.

My car 'seems' to want to hold gears more if I have engaged in some brisk progress. Most notable uphill where the hold can seem excessive.

All interesting info though

Whilst the engine has good torque from low down with the supercharger best power start at around 4K revs ie 160 hp and is declining by 6k when seen on a dyno measuring back wheel hp rather than what we are told where the engine peaks ie 6.2K so keeping the engine in this range is key to best performance which is best done with paddles/tiptronic.  Drive mode seems too conservative ie keeps the revs low for economy and should be called cruise mode IMO.

Sport mode is too far the other way keeping the revs at the upper end of the 4-6K rev band and does not feel to give best acceleration so I find it best to change to manual/paddles/tiptronic and keep it in this range. Pain manual of dog legged from Drive rather than sport, wrong choice by VAG IMO.  Whilst I have heard that the DSGs do learn driver behavior it does appear adapt to the driver particularly to amount of throttle depressed and when to change but it always seem to end up as above ie too conservative in Drive and too revvy in Sport so still move to manual/paddles/tiptronic when 10/10 ths driving.

8 or 10 gears in the VRS version of the Rapid Spaceback/Coupe when it hopefully comes to replacing the Fabia 2 VRS. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Teebs, as the guys are really saying, all modern auto's detect your driving style and adjust the gear changes accordingly. Even my 3 year old tiptronic 1.6 16v learns from my driving styles ie: if I'm being aggressive with the throttle it runs a more aggressive gear change map more in line with what I want and further adapts it to suit exactly what I want. If I drive economically, it changes up more quickly and doesn't drop down to lower gears so easily without me being firm with the throttle.

Someone had some Rapid alloys up for sale on here.

Didn't have funds to add them to the collection but whilst ogling them I noticed that the top spec model looked to be sporting 312mm's or at least 288mm's

I personally think Skoda have some 'plans' for the Rapid