fabia vrs twincharger remapping

Hi all you fellow vrs oweners i have a 13 plate 1,4 vrs and i am  now thinking of remapping  the car to stage one carn't make up my mind on weather to go for a remap or a tuning box .Any advice would be grateful also let me know of any horror stories you have had after tuning the car the tuners i have been looking at are Revo and Jabbasport for remap and TMC for the tuning box.

Edited by redtop170

Can I recommend that you add APR to the list of remap options to consider. I haven't had mine on long enough to report fairly on the reliability etc, performance is noticeably improved.

I made my decision based on reading every thread going on the subject, both on here and on seat cupra.net, I can only urge you to do the same, one set of answers to this thread will not likely tell the whole story. This is a highly strung little engine and remapping isn't something you want to get wrong. Are you happy to have no engine warranty also?

The TMC box is a shortcut to good power gains and can be resold, forum members have run these in combo with a CAI and run close to 210bhp, take a look at VRS-Powered's build thread and Apmaman. My personal thought is that of the two the TMC is the option most likely to give engine issues as it's a less refined solution compared to a map. But that's just an educated guess I'm no mechanic.

On my car I am also supporting the map upgrade with a CAI and soon hopefully an intercooler to try to protect the engine, the benefit being that these will also make the step to stage 2 easier.

Also with the car only being a 13 plate, how long have you had it? Have you put any handling mods in place, for me these give far more enjoyment than adding power and are necessary if you want to keep the added grunt enjoyable and on the road. I'm already wanting bigger brakes. And I think most would agree a non mapped car with a nicely upgraded chassis will be far quicker on road or track than a stock car remapped.

Lots to think about :)

• Like 2

TMC is reliable, removable, and undetectable, if you remap your new car, it will be better than the box, for sure, maybe a little more power and a cleaner curve, but the garage will detect if and you'll loose you warrenty on related parts...

Also, watch them at service , they plug the car into their online systems , and if the map isn't the current update , it will be written over with the correct map unless you ask them not to ;)

• Like 3

Thanks sparkly my car done about 4700 miles i have already done a few track days  my car came with the eighbach springs  help quite a lot not as good as coilovers but will  do for now   have also considerd APR i have read quite a lot of information on remapping  trying to find out if members have had problems with inlet temperatures blown turbos etc if i  go to stage 2 will upgrade intercooler and exhaust for miltek turbo back also you are right upgrading the susention and fitting anti roll bars would make a bigger diference than the extra 20 to 25 bhp

Best check that APR, REVO, etc are prepared to do there-map on ECU of a CTHE.

With the 2013 car you will be invalidating the Warranty with Skoda on your Engine.

george

invalidating the warranty does worry me a little  that's why i was considering the TMC tuning box APR are willing to do the remap spoke to awesome gti last week

invalidating the warranty does worry me a little  that's why i was considering the TMC tuning box APR are willing to do the remap spoke to awesome gti last week

If you are worried about warranty, and insurance for that matter unless you declare all mods (which I only hope people do) then you shouldn't do either. APR map switch ability won't hide a map, TMC is possibly undetectable but if you bugger the engine you will then effectively have to commit fraud to claim on warranty, as above. I'm no mechanic so I can't even say if TMC would leave a trace on the ECU.

At 4,700 miles the engine is probably still loosening up, might not be the best time

I paid Awesome GTI a visit only a week ago and I am overdue to right them a glowing review, I and my car were very well looked after and I left a very happy customer.

I guess ultimately I would suggest not risking anything you aren't comfortable fixing out of your own pocket, all else is a gamble.

• Like 1

Thanks sparkly my car done about 4700 miles i have already done a few track days my car came with the eighbach springs help quite a lot not as good as coilovers but will do for now have also considerd APR i have read quite a lot of information on remapping trying to find out if members have had problems with inlet temperatures blown turbos etc if i go to stage 2 will upgrade intercooler and exhaust for miltek turbo back also you are right upgrading the susention and fitting anti roll bars would make a bigger diference than the extra 20 to 25 bhp

The Eibachs will helps handling, a RARB will really top the package off nicely dialling out even more roll. My guess is at the worst then you are only invalidating suspension warranty and a set of lovely B8 Dampers allround would be the same cost as a remap and probably be more enjoyable.

My comment on intake and intercooler was they are probably not a bad idea at stage 1, albeit not stated as necessary.

Stage 1 is around 30bhp gained and a huge whack of torque.

Stage 2 around 15-20bhp further.

To my mind stage 1 is a decent step up in stress on the engine, and chances are you won't be adding the map to aid low down torque for econocruising on the motorway at 65mph........although it helps here too :)

• Like 1

As sparkly says RARB is a huge improvement to handling, I have eibachs and RARB and will be spending all day tomorow going around oulton park ;)

Don't think a turbo has ever blown on this engine that I know of..... Misfires are the most common problem when tuning the engine....

Only one Turbo gone i have heard of and that was an extreme case of a totally gubbed engine.

So not really a concern.

No need for a Stage 1 CTHE to give problems, but you just need to be aware that its going to be your own concern and you can not expect Skoda to cover the cost of engine work, and maybe not even the Gearbox.

george

Only one Turbo gone i have heard of and that was an extreme case of a totally gubbed engine.

So not really a concern.

No need for a Stage 1 CTHE to give problems, but you just need to be aware that its going to be your own concern and you can not expect Skoda to cover the cost of engine work, and maybe not even the Gearbox.

george

I know that if the turbo went or i had gear box problems i would not expect skoda to cover the cost i have had a turbo go before after a remap cost me a arm and a leg :sweat:

Its not the Turbo you would need to worry about, because that is not very expensive or involved,

it would be an Engine Rebuild, Pistons, Rings and Bearings. but if your engine is behaving, and you are watching the plugs

and you have a good running engine, then that is just the chance you take.

Using cars for Motorsport Events invalidate Warranties anyway, (other than Marshalling etc)

ie So Track Days,

so when asked to sign a declaration that you never took part in any,

then you want to be sure you have no Pictures or Forum Posts showing you did.

Or you might just receive a bill for Warranty work that was done on your vehicle.

(far fetched but has happened.)

A DSG Upgrade to go with Stage 2.

http://www.hp.net.au/index.php/products/dq200

george

Do not what ever you do go with revo. They stg2 mapped my car, blew the arse out of the turbo amongst other stuff and I ended up with about 3k worth of repairs to do. Then would accept no responsibility and wouldnt even ralk to me on the phone.

hey reddtop, nice to meet you at the weekend, just for information following our conversation about cars , what you have had before ect ect , you have had some faster stuff than the fabia, but thoughout the whole track day, the power of my car (standard) was at least equal to if not faster than most of the stuff out there in a straight line... after experiancing that whole day , engine mods are LAST on my list , and will come when the car is over 3 years old and out of warrenty anyway......

• 3 weeks later...