Monte Tech - Steering Creak

TBH I was wondering the same thing. I came to the conclusion that as it seems to be a known issue they just assume it's the track rod ends and go ahead and replace them, if that does not sort the creak then that is Skodas issue and further investigation is required.

Incidentally, after a false start last time my car is going in tomorrow, confirmed warranty job. Can I just check that a full alignment must be carried out after the replacement or is it done at the garages discretion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TBH I was wondering the same thing. I came to the conclusion that as it seems to be a known issue they just assume it's the track rod ends and go ahead and replace them, if that does not sort the creak then that is Skodas issue and further investigation is required.

Mine has a slight groan, like rubber and plastic contacting. I just can't see my dealer entertaining changing them for me as I'm not their favourite customer, they would be telling me there's no way of checking unless they pierce them and if it's not faulty I'll be left with a nice bill .....

It's a known fault so they should be able to diagnose it by ear. Is there another Skoda dealer you could go to?

Unfortunately no, well, it's about 10 miles but it involves an hour long boat trip at cost of around £50 !!

It's going for MOT next month so I'm going to mention it then, does anyone know if there's a code that relates to this that I can quote please?

That's a slow boat!

While I'm there tomorrow I will see if they will give me the TP number.

Yep it is painfully slow, does give you time to stuff a full English down your neck though!!

Thank you very much for offering to find out the TP number, much appreciated :-)

I asked for the TP number but the service girl said she wasn't allowed to give out the information, sorry. I've asked for a copy of the invoice so you never know it might show on there as the invoice goes to Skoda for warranty work.

All done, steering as quiet as a mouse now.

Can anyone explain the alignment info to me please? Is the 'final' looking ok? How far out if at all was the 'initial'?

IMG_0104_zpsg2w756rt.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I asked for the TP number but the service girl said she wasn't allowed to give out the information, sorry. I've asked for a copy of the invoice so you never know it might show on there as the invoice goes to Skoda for warranty work.

Thank you for asking, I am due to speak to Skoda CS in a couple of weeks so I'll ask them about it and see what they say. Hopefully she'll find out about it and give the info to my dealer before they do the MOT.

Many thanks for asking :-)

• Like 1

If the Local Skoda Dealer Service Reception Desk staff will not tell you if there is a TPI concerning the steering for your vehicle,

then call Skoda UK CS and get a CS Manager to get back onto you.

Your Engine has been out and replaced, and any issues with steering from that are covered by the Dealerships Guarantee / Warranty on work.

& any Manufacturing Issues and Steering Failings are a Warranty Issue.

Best not put off to MOT time, have anything checked before that.

• Like 1

Best not put off to MOT time, have anything checked before that.

I had a local garage/friend do an MOT check for me today and he said everything is in excellent condition but confirmed he couldn't check track rods without breaking into the rubbers. I've booked the official MOT for 3 weeks before it's due to expire to allow time for anything that needs doing to be done, hopefully there will be nothing other than the track rod checks :-) 

May 2014 Monte Carlo 1.6tdi 14k miles - creaking steering on right hand full lock.

David Ian Skoda Morecambe replaced both steering arms, re-aligned wheels,

without question under warranty.

Not an uncommon problem, but definitely important to get the creaking, (which is caused by water

getting into the steering arm rubbers covering the ball joints), sorted.

Skoda have updated the replacement steering arms in an effort to stop this problem re-occurring.

It will be interesting to see if the updated steering arms solve the problem.

Of interest, maybe, so far this has been the first warranty claim necessary.

Keith

Edited by keithw
  • Like 1

Excuse my ignorance, are steering arms the same as track rod ends? Mine were replaced last week and the creak has gone.

This was my first (and last) warranty job too.

I'm still hoping someone can explain the alignment diagram to me haha

Excuse my ignorance, are steering arms the same as track rod ends? Mine were replaced last week and the creak has gone.

This was my first (and last) warranty job too.

I'm still hoping someone can explain the alignment diagram to me haha

I cant explain exactly the pic you posted. Other than i think its set off a straight laser line off the backs, and the angles are how muvh off centre the fronts are. I think. (Prepares for a 'no youre talking ****, comment haha)

What i will say though, is i had my new tyres on at about 15k. Mine were a little out too, i got them to adjust it free cos of other issues i had getting the tyres.

Now i avoid pot holes like the plague, the cars got good size tyre walls (195 55 r15's) and its never been driven up a curb, ever. The guy at the tyre shop agreed that its likely to of come from the factory slightly misaligned, as hes had nearly new cars in that have also been out.

So if youre thinking its your driving thats taken it out abit, it just might not be! Aha

Cheers. I tend to avoid curbs too. Pot holes round here are not easy to avoid round here sometimes.

I don't blame my driving (much) the before and after was after the track rod ends were replaced.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think my car might have developed the same issue. I can only (badly) describe it as a creaking door type sound only heard when either stationary or slow maneuver turning the wheel anticlockwise. 63plate Monte Tech Estate 18k on the clock. Although if i've been for a drive then park up the sound is less noticeable. 

Any ideas yet on the TPI No?

Hi

Just had my Monti Tech in for creaking steering. Same symptoms as everyone else. 63 Reg, 15000 miles.

Rack removed & fitted new track rods. All 4 wheels aligned & road tested (their words). Carried out under warranty without quibble.

I think my car might have developed the same issue. I can only (badly) describe it as a creaking door type sound only heard when either stationary or slow maneuver turning the wheel anticlockwise. 63plate Monte Tech Estate 18k on the clock. Although if i've been for a drive then park up the sound is less noticeable.

Any ideas yet on the TPI No?

Skoda say they are not allowed to give out a TP number and there is nothing on my job sheet that would help, sorry

I cant be certain, but I think I have the same problem. 

Going in to see the dealers this week. Will update 

I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid now! Mine is quite a faint sound on my vRS, it was more obvious on my old Monte. But now it's coming to the end of warranty I want to make sure it's investigated anyway.

Will be interesting to see how you get on, is yours only a faint sound which is making you unsure?

If you ever have concerns about a car and components like Steering and Ball Joints or anything and there is a TPI. (technical Parts Information) issued by a Manufacturer,  & if a Skoda Service desk person goes all Skoda Secret Service on you, 'Need to know basis', then just Email the Skoda UK Customer Services, tell them you have concerns and ask if your vehicle might have the parts the TPI concerns.

Ask what the issue is and what actions or checks the 'Franchised Dealership Technicians' are supposed to carry out, 

for the sake of you, your passengers and other road users safety.

If you ask they should tell, & they should be honest and open, and if they lie, then you have that response from them.

No idea why Service Reception Staff and Service Managers think they are the keepers of Secrets when the Customer getting Customer Service is what keeps them in a job.

Corporate Responsibility goes from the Top to the Bottom and some are so far up their own bottoms with the secrets on the computer that they forget that.

• Like 1

Just got back from the dealers.

I spoke to them regarding the steering creek. And if it is the same creek as spoken about above...

They didn't seemed surprised and even said its a known problem.

Cars in for its 40k service and to investigate the problem

• Like 1

Where are you hearing the squeaking? Does it round like it's coming from the actual steering wheel or from the wheels?

Mine happens on slow speed movement.

Also on full lock then moving the wheel back to center.

Sounds like from the steering wheel.

Having jacked the car up. The track rods do knock on steering movement.