Xenons etc don't need headlight washers anymore

Why I be never. The Mercedes E-class does NOT have headlight washers on the Xenon versions anymore since they've now decided its only needed on cars that produce more than 2000 lumens and that the wash with light shining through it causes more of a distraction than the one or two bugs on the glass... which the water never got rid of anyway!

Now I wonder how many lumens the Škoda Xenon systems produce and if we need the washer systems?

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/mercedes-e-klasse-ohne-scheinwerferreiniger-4417054.html

And the Google translation:

Now the facelift offers Daimler in the Mecedes E-class headlight cleaning system to no more. According to recent studies, wiping water residue can dazzle oncoming traffic - which is supposed to prevent the wash. Prescribed the shower lamp is only from a brightness of 2000 lumens. Daimler's headlights do not reach this value.

Scheinwerfer-Mercedes-E-Klasse-474x316-e

Yep, the Rapid with xenon also doesn't come with washers as is under 2000 lumen.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/news/2013-07-04-rapid

Ah... so no levelling either! As someone that tows a caravan I'd prever to have the automatic levelling to be honest.

It is not the UK site, so might not meet the regulations for here

I've just looked on the UK skoda site and there is no option for Xenons on the Rapid

Ah that perhaps explains why! In the UK the legislation still requires the washers...  so I wonder what Mercedes is doing on the E-class then?

Edit:  Only option seems to be LED headlights:

Headlamps – LED Intelligent Light System

High-performance headlamps, including Active Light System, cornering light function and Adaptive High Beam Assist

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/e-class/_w212/facts/equipment_accessories/optional_equipment.0011.html

Just through a curveball question, does the mot not say that, and I paraphrase, "if fitted..... must work";

By that I'm asking the question that if your car has xenons, and is fitted with headlight self-levelling and wash system, the. Those must work?

I think so.

I remmeber an instance a while back where an older car that didn't require a rear fog light had an aftermarket one fitted by the owner that didn't work.

It failed the MOT because it didn't work even though the car didn't require a rear fog light to pass an MOT.