Broken rear coil spring !

FenlandPete

Been out this morning investigating a metallic clang from the rear OS wheel area that has been annoying us over the last week or so - jacked up that corner and removed the wheel to discover part of the coil spring broken off (the bottom bit this wraps round the rubber bush inside the spring pan), and rattling around in the spring pan. Just outside 3 year warranty as well !!

Anyone else had this problem, and what is cost implication ??

Presumably it is not safe to drive for any distance with car in this condition -we were planning to head off to Wales this weekend, and local garage is closed up until New Year.

Happy Xmas !!

Pete

I seem to remember this fault being raised previously (and not just on Skoda's), but can't recall the thread. 

How about trying a motor factors to see if they have a non skoda one in stock, then get a local tyre fitting place to fit for you - just to get you to Wales.

How about trying a motor factors to see if they have a non skoda one in stock, then get a local tyre fitting place to fit for you - just to get you Wales.

Why get them to do it - not done one on a yeti but with the state of the roads done a few on faux halls and fiats - jack corner up, remove wheel, pull hub towards floor, remove broken spring, put new spring in, refit wheel! Simples!

Getting the right spring from the motor factors however .........

I seem to remember this fault being raised previously (and not just on Skoda's), but can't recall the thread.

You're probably thinking of this one.  Quite an entertaining little thread in its way...

This article by the AA is probably just as informative, and quicker to read.

• Like 1

If your fenland roads are like my fenland roads, I'm not too surprised!

I'm sure they are - anywhere on the black fen is likely to be problematic. Most cross-country routes from eg Ely to P'boro are worse than I've ever known them (but hopefully they'll keep the Ramsey Forty Foot road vaguely up to snuff - that could be seriously dangerous if the drainside edge really starts to crumble - but presumably the raised banks are clay and not fen soil). But I suspect that the Lincs silt fen is probably a little better.

Yes- we live in Ramsey St. Mary's, so we are familiar with the roads you are talking about - we regularly travel to Peterborough via Pondersbridge, and to Newmarket via Chatteris, Ely etc. Other cars we have owned have suffered on these roads - we have had cracked springs and worn suspension arms sometimes after only 30,000 miles or so (our Yeti only has 28,000 on the clock). According to our village garage, no car is immune - they are used to replacing these parts on BMW, Audis etc., sometimes after only 20,000 miles if the cars are driven hard (which these German makes usually are, in my opinion).

I have phoned round a few motor factors and Skoda dealers in East Anglia - no one has a spare spring in stock, and will probably only be able to get it in later in the week, after the New Year's day holiday. So, I think we are off to Wales in the back-up car (a trusty old Rover 75) whilst Yeti sits on the drive at home. Our local garage will order the spring this week, and fit it when we get back next weekend.

Thanks for the feedback

Pete

Same breakage used to be very common on BMWs from the Mid-90's on.  Bottom coil would break off a rear spring, reducing the ride height by about 1cm.  Quite often, the owner didn't notice till the next MOT..... 

There are usually many subtle variations of spring fitted to cars, depending on model/engine/transmission & equipment/options fitted (which affects the axle weight).

They are usually identified by a series of coloured paint dots on the spring, which can be looked up on the dealer parts computer.

If you buy one from a motor factor, you are very unlikely to get the correct spring rate for your particular car.

I'd advise buying the correct variant from a Skoda dealer.

PS - prodata, you have a message :)