Sam's Mk2 Blue VRS Estate

mrburdon123

Took the motor to Dynotech in Ripley just to see if all was hunky doory.

DSC_0524_zps8xzx5ek8.jpg

Was expecting to see something just over the 180bhp mark but was a little deflated when I got the readings

176.8bhp

That was on cold morning two weeks after its service too

:(

• Like 1

Nice one for setting me straight guys.

I now need ideas what I can do, other than a remap, to push it up a little. Any suggestions?

Also need to sort rattles out! The cold seems to have pulled them out the woodwork. Did a longish drive over the weekend and they wound me up something chronic!

Hi mrburdon123, nice job getting it on the Dyno did you get a map, what was your torque?, I totally agree with the comments above, a lot of people forget that the car is 180 Pfederstarken not HP so it's bang on.  What fuel are you running out of interest?

On RON99 and with an ITG intake my car gave 184bhp, so assuming all Dyno's are equal (which they aren't) the ITG might be worth 7bhp and a few torques.  When considering the ITG though a lot of people will be put off by the meagre top end gains compared to the cost but there will be good midrange too and also it should let the engine hold the power a bit longer at the top.

2797034ec912bd62092674d1d3210178_zps41e4

Sparkly, just lookin at your graph, should the torque axis read in Nm not ftlb?

Also, it looks like your getting max torque down at 2000rpm which is 1000 before I get there?

Or am I missing something? (looking at what seems to be your std map btw)

Edited by mrburdon123

Nope that is the ft lbs as the dyno read it - it has been suggested that the APR rollers read a bit high on torque, but yes my car is well up on stock.

Torque comes in earlier than on your graph seemingly too yup and on the road I can say the bum dyno agrees with the rollers, although it didn't read like that on the Dyno the map actually makes it feel even earlier now.

How much of this is the ITG I can't say as I didn't dyno my car before I fitted the intake, I definitely think this engine like the Maxogen intake, lots of air.

Plus my car is a nice and loose 40k+ miles model ;) that might help

here is another graph, we did several runs on each map of the car for the tech at Awesome to get used to feeding in the power with the DSG and not hitting kickdown.

85f4b1b78b08c66d67662154be0cf296_zps9f19

the extra hump of torque between 2k and 3k rpm rather than the dip experienced on the stock map makes a very big difference to performance and feel

then holding circa 50 ft-lbs more between 3k and 4k.

Your car does seem to peak late on BHP though which is good, meaning you can use a lot of the rev range. It almost looks like we have distinct stock maps.

• Like 1

Dyno seems to me fine too, nothing wrong with your car. Take into account that some dynos are more strict than others plus humidity and temperature factors play a significant role.

Numbers don't mean nothing at the end of the day - do you really think you can feel the difference of 3 or 4 hp less than others?

• Like 1

Sorry sparkly, just curious then how you've managed around 60ftlb more torque then mine with roughly the same bhp and standard map.

Mine - 176.8bhp with 183ftlb\248Nm

Yours - 183bhp with 241ftlb/326Nm

Do you get my thoughts?

And no I know I wouldn't expect to notice a few bhp.

• Like 1

Sorry sparkly, just curious then how you've managed around 60ftlb more torque then mine with roughly the same bhp and standard map.

Mine - 176.8bhp with 183ftlb\248Nm

Yours - 183bhp with 241ftlb/326Nm

Do you get my thoughts?

And no I know I wouldn't expect to notice a few bhp.

Good luck ;) - don't hate the player, hate the game :happy:

No seriously, I think my car will have some gains on torque from the intake, the engine is good and loose and run in, always gets vPower, oil changed regularly and the rest will be down to the Dyno. vRSy has commented to me previously that Awesomes rollers read high on torque.  It is unlikely that we have that much of a difference on a stock map.

Will have to get my car on some dyno dynamics rollers at some point to see what the differential is.

In all honesty, apart from boasting rights and signature top trumps, I have never given the graph or numbers a second thought, main reason for insisting on a before and after Dyno was to see the gains and where, not peak stats on either.

• Like 1

Im just saying as looking at other stock dynotech read outs all are stating similar figures as I achieved, yours being miles higher.

Not trying to steal anyone's thunder but it's like someone saying iv got 176.8kw but they actually have 176.8bhp.

"241" is remarkably close to what the book states as stock torque in Nm and not ftlb.

If the itg gives 60ftlb more torque than I want it! But I can't help but doubt that putting a itg intake on will give you the huge increase in torque but leave the bhp relatively unchanged. Your call tho sparkly. Doesn't take away the fact that's we both have a smooth(touch wood) running motors.

MrBurdon, you could go TMC box... this is my old car with TMC no other mods, near as damn it 200bhp....

img0837xr.jpg

was quite good as it changes up at 7k, and gave 199 bhp from 5 k, and drops to 5k when changing up soooo 200bhp all the time on full chat :)

• Like 1

Im just saying as looking at other stock dynotech read outs all are stating similar figures as I achieved, yours being miles higher.

Not trying to steal anyone's thunder but it's like someone saying iv got 176.8kw but they actually have 176.8bhp.

"241" is remarkably close to what the book states as stock torque in Nm and not ftlb.

If the itg gives 60ftlb more torque than I want it! But I can't help but doubt that putting a itg intake on will give you the huge increase in torque but leave the bhp relatively unchanged. Your call tho sparkly. Doesn't take away the fact that's we both have a smooth(touch wood) running motors.

Bud, relax, you entirely misread my posting, I was saying I will have gains but nothing that justifies such a big difference unless these engines do vary wildly from factory. My stock map looks a bit different to yours. But my main point is that the biggest part of the difference comes down to the Dyno lottery, I repeat Awesomes rollers read high on torque but are generally thought to be reliable on bhp.

Not some schoolboy error replacing nm with lbs-ft just that the dyno reads high and please give me some credit I don't think for a second an intake gives any gains much on stock, I bought it to not be restrictive after remapping.

Forgive me mate, was on a bit of a torque hype yesterday coz me brother's just picked up a zetec so 1.6tdci. Loving the diesel pull!

I'd like to come down to one of the brisky meets to put a face to the names on here and look at some sweat ass skodas.

Regarding oil consumption etc on the vrs, it seams a drop in The ocean compared to oil problems with certain tdci used in their range. Blocked oil feed pipe killing turbo after turbo then the engine. Just looking at mods to prevent this from happening to his!

SHARKRIDER, iv used a tuning box before on the Leon I had, loved it. Just can't bring myself to put one on the vrs due to warranty. :(

why would a garage ring your insurance company ?  besides which , due to data protection it would be illegal for the insurance company to declare such things to a third party ;)

Edited by sharkrider