Have I been ripped off by dealer?

Hi Everyone :)

I was looking at part exchanging my VRS (only have it 5 months) but the most I can seem to get offered for it is £10,000.

I brought the car for £20,500!! Only done around 7,000 miles in it.

When looking a the price breakdown of my car they have charged me £450 for delivery charge, my car was a dealership showroom model and I picked it up myself...

They also charged me £33 for car mats when they distinctly said they would chuck them in for free (probably my fault for trusting them and not noticing).

But for them to sell me a car for £20,000 and then in 5 months tell me its only worth £10,000 I feel like Iv'e been stitched up a right kipper!

I can post up the price breakdown if any one is interested but just thought Id see if there was anything I could do, even about the delivery charge?

I went to see Peter Cooper VW today and they seemed to think I had been done over.

Cheers

£20,000 for a Fabia ???

A lot of Fabia mk2 VRS cars were bought VAT free, so were far cheaper.

I was looking at around £14,000 - £15,000 when I was interested and that was new.

Plus you've obviously added a fair amount of spec which is mostly lost come part exchange time.

Obviously you were happy with the price when you bought it, as you did buy.

But I'd suggest you paid too much for it and the extras.

So a double whammy come trade in time.

Trade in offer of £10,000 seems a bit tight though.

I thought you'd get maybe £11,000 - £11,500.

You'd be better off keeping it and spreading the depreciation over a longer period.

I guess you could buy new again and get the cliff edge price drop again...

Buying new and selling within the first year is financial suicide!

• Like 4

I have always understood that as a guideline, you lose a third of the value of a new car the moment you take delivery?  Added to that, with the vRS's record of unreliability it doesn't seem that surprising that they don't hold their value.

Why are you selling it after only five months and 7,000 miles - have you had problems with it?

That price seems more like it, Richard. I did a quick free valuation on Parkers (only lets you go up to 2012 though) and that came back at £10,915 from a franchised dealer for a 62 plate with 20K miles, so 11 - 11.5 sounds more near the mark.

Was that Sparshatts at Botley? Try Winchester Skoda :)

How come you paid £20,500 for your vRS when they start at just over 17k. Is it fully loaded? If so that will be part of the problem as by and large FF options add no value to the car when you trade it in. I'd look elsewhere TBH as 10k seems to be taking the pee. Good luck.

Sadly they do seem to have got you when you paid too much to start with, But thats life i am afraid.

& now the £10,000 offer is just silly, but thats an offer, and if they do not really want your car, maybe thats all they will offer.

Best see what the best you can get elsewhere is.

Sometimes because thats the price they ask, it does not mean it is the price that you should pay.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/303633-out-with-the-old-vrs-and-in-with-the-new

• Like 1

Vehicle:

Skoda Fabia 5dr Hat 1.4 TSI 180ps VRS DSG: £14,120

Options

3spk MFSW rd Tel+Sm L Pk (Not even quite sure what this is) : £262

Rear park sensor: £233

Black Roof: £312

Air Con w Climate Control : £233

Gigaro Alloy Wheels: £95

Metallic Paint: £412

Tel Prep GSMII Bluth (Bluetooth Kit) : £200

Total options cost: £1749

Accessories:

Mats: £33 (should have been free!)

Pre-Tax Items: 

Delivery: £425

AutoGlym: £399

Total Pre-Tax Items: £757

Sub Total: £16,661

Post Tax Items:

RFL (what ever that is): £195

Gap insurance: £399 (for 3 years)

Total post tax items: £594

Total; £20,588 (£3,332 VAT) 

LESSON LEARNT! :) 

Vehicle:

Skoda Fabia 5dr Hat 1.4 TSI 180ps VRS DSG: £14,120

Options

3spk MFSW rd Tel+Sm L Pk (Not even quite sure what this is) : £262

Rear park sensor: £233

Black Roof: £312

Air Con w Climate Control : £233

Gigaro Alloy Wheels: £95

Metallic Paint: £412

Tel Prep GSMII Bluth (Bluetooth Kit) : £200

Total options cost: £1749

Accessories:

Mats: £33 (should have been free!)

Pre-Tax Items: 

Delivery: £425

AutoGlym: £399

Total Pre-Tax Items: £757

Sub Total: £16,661

Post Tax Items:

RFL (what ever that is): £195

Gap insurance: £399 (for 3 years)

Total post tax items: £594

Total; £20,588 (£3,332 VAT) 

LESSON LEARNT! :)

So basically you paid full list price (with no haggling) plus every possible extra charge they could squeeze on?

Plus bought the car a bit after the VAT free deal which would have reduced the cost by over £3,500.

Good grief.

I am almost lost for a words. :peek:

A bit of time on this forum and some research would have meant you could have saved a fortune on it. :(

When they sold you that car the profit they made was a LOT.

• Like 1

What's done is done. Just sit back and enjoy what you've paid for, it's still a cracking wee new motor. Get your moneys worth! 

The evil voice in my head asks if you have gap insurance and a match, but you don't want to listen to that tool! 

• Like 2

What's done is done. Just sit back and enjoy what you've paid for, it's still a cracking wee new motor. Get your moneys worth! 

Looks like that's my only option :)

Like I said, lesson learnt (all be an expensive one).

I love driving the VRS so I'm not disappointed in any means that I have to keep it.

Next time I go to buy a car ill be sure to run it through with you guys ;) 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

JVickery92,

was yours using too much oil, has it had an Oil Consumption test ?

I thought it was using too much oil as it used about 1 litre every 500 miles but when I took it to them to do the test they said it had past, only just, but still enough for them to want me to pay for the test... 

It hasn't been too bad recently though.

They like to take the Pith at your Dealership, 

That car should have been rejected, i had no idea it was so new!!!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294829-oil-consumption-test-cost

It might still need rejected, so new and faulty.

No wonder they do not want it back and are offering so low on it.

YOUR OIL CONSUMPTION TEST WAS THE ONE WHERE THE TECHNICIAN DID NOT KNOW THE WEIGHT OF 1 LITRE OF OIL,

OR 3.6 LITRES OF OIL, AND THAT TEST WAS INVALID.

HE HAD IT AS 1 LITRE OF ENGINE OIL WEIGHS 1000 GRAMS, INSTEAD OF 857 GRAMS.

PS, 

AutoGlym & GAP Insurance really can not be counted in as the price paid for a car,

£800 of something that for some is of no value.

The Autoglym was a big Profit to the Dealer or Salesperson, or both.

Good Commission on selling the GAP Insurance as well.

• Like 2

Jeez this is a shocker. The dealer has been shafting you from every which way. Shafted from the front with no discount, shafted from behind with a low trade in and to add insult to injury charged you for the mats and the oil test!

£10k is a crazy low trade offer. I've just traded in my 3 yr old vrs hatch and got £8500 for it....

Really feel for you on this one.

Did you get 0% APR when you bought it and did you pump in any deposit up front?

Just out of interest would you mind sharing just what your monthlies are?

I'd definitely try and shop around for a higher trade in offer but you may just be stuck with it:-(

• Like 1

Hi,

I pay £384 a month, there was a one month payment put down as a deposit and yes it is on the 0% finance deal. Definitely feel like they took advantage of my young age and ripped me off as much as they could!!

Edited by JVickery92

Hi,

I pay £384 a month, there was a one month payment put down as a deposit and yes it is on the 0% finance deal. Definitely feel like they took advantage of my young age and ripped me off as much as they could!!

Ouch. That's a fair bit more than I pay for my bmw 120d M-sport (similar deposit) :-(

To be honest mate I'd sit tight and try to trade it in after 12 months. If a dealer is keen to sell another car they might me able to absorb some of your negative equity in a deal.

Definitely try out a few dealers tho to see what offers you can get (preferably at end of month).

Good luck with it!

The 0% is your saving grace as the settlement figure to get out if the car will be dropping each month the same as the monthly payment. In this respect your high monthlies will work in your favour! :-)

• Like 1

Never buy the Life shine or Autoglym from the dealer as well as the GAP.

You can get the Autoglym pack on bay of E for as little as £30 and the Gap you can get if you google Gap insurance that will work out around £100.

It never hurts to ask for advice, I was once had over when I was younger I promise you it's never happened again 25 cars later ;) You live and learn ;)

YOUR OIL CONSUMPTION TEST WAS THE ONE WHERE THE TECHNICIAN DID NOT KNOW THE WEIGHT OF 1 LITRE OF OIL,

OR 3.6 LITRES OF OIL, AND THAT TEST WAS INVALID.

HE HAD IT AS 1 LITRE OF ENGINE OIL WEIGHS 1000 GRAMS, INSTEAD OF 857 GRAMS.

That was me I think 

Check on webuyanycar - I sold a Fabia TSi to them at similar age and got very good money out of it.

With the 0% finance there is much less scope for haggling, if that makes you feel any better, just that selling so soon you're getting none of the value of that as it were.