vRS Oil Consuption test and Dealers saying you must pay.

Ootohere

I thought it worth mentioning that (according to what my dealer have said) if your car fails a consumption test then all future tests are free of charge.

Therefore for anyone who has bought 2nd hand it is worth a call to Skoda UK to find out whether it has had one before... Long shot but worthwhile. I suspect Skoda will pay anyway if you contact them directly like I did before going to the dealer.

• Like 2

Mine will be under going a consumption test when it goes in for its first 10k service - over 6 litres been put in so far, not even a single word mentioned about a cost, dealer even offered to set up the test when I innocently mentioned my concerns over the amount it has used.

• Like 1

Just got a call from the dealer and my car is ready for pick up.  He said the test is within the specifications and he mentioned something about it's used 0.45 litres against 0.84 kg/l which is confusing me (easy to do!).  To that end they want me to pay £157 for the 9 litres of oil and one hours labour.  I then called Skoda UK and they are going to get back to me hopefully soon but they said I might have to pay the money and then get refunded.  I really need to get the test paperwork so George can analyse it for me.

??? Where are they getting 9 litres of oil supplied from.

They took out your old oil & filter, disposed of it !!

put in a new Filter and oil, 3.6 litres used,

run it to get to full heat, and check level,, drained again & weighed and put back in. SEALED THE FILLER.

You drove, 690 miles,

they removed the Oil, did they dispose of that, 690 miles covered near new oil?? So they weighed it when taken out.

Then they put in 3.6 litres of new oil.

So it should be, 3.6 litres of new oil plus a 0.5 top up,

or 7.2 litres of new oil and 1 or 2 new filter,, 2 oil fill changes, so 2 new Drain Plugs  ??? where do they get 9 litres of oil from?.

So you drove 690 miles and near 0.5 litres of oil used,    well near enough if 0.45 litres was used.

where Skoda/VAG say an engine might use 0.5 litres for 1000 km,  (621 Miles.)

It is a Fail,

by any stretch of the imagination, it might not be the whole 0.5 litres drunk, in 621 miles (1000 km)

but that figure is one they give for every engine, 3, 4, 6 & 8 cylinder, petrol or diesel. Just made up by them.

So 0.45 litres of oil used and that is for only 690 miles, ON THIS OCCASION.

Are they saying that it would be OK to drink 10 times 0.45 litres over 6,900 miles. ie 4.5 Litres. 

Have 3.6 litres in after a service,

and before the next 9400 mile service possibly put in more than 6 litres of oil to keep topping up..

Tell Skoda UK that figure is unacceptable,

they know the problem with the engines.

Question the Dealer or Skoda UK about 0.84 kg/l of oil used.

1 Litre of oil weighs 857 grams, and 0.5 litres is 428.5 grams.

& i can not be bothered to work out what 0.45 of a litre weighs.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294829-oil-consumption-test-cost

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

• Like 2

My car is a cthe and has used 5 litres in just under 10k miles, technically that is within the acceptable limit. To be fair I can live with it and it doesn't bother me too much.

The one thing I have noticed is that the consumption of oil isn't linear in any way. I normally check the oil level every 700-800 miles and the amount required to fill it to the correct level can vary greatly, sometimes 250ml, others 750ml.

My dealer did not ask for a fee for the consumption test. I received free oil (they reinbursed me for all the oil I purchased) from the moment I first raised concern over high consumption. They washed my car every time it went in and always provide a courtesy car. The dealership was fantastic throughout. They undertook the oil breather modification without needing an oil consumption test. The consumption test was carried out prior to engine replacement.

• Like 3

Paid for my test today and the results are here (#845):

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252759-fabia-vrs-oil-fix/page-29

austenw90 - I bought my car in Aug 13.

Did you pay on credit card? Possible back up to getting money back if Skoda UK don't sort this.

As a known issue they should cover the cost on all vRS oil consumption tests IMO for peace of mind (or not) for their "valued" customers.

You need an Explanation of what type of test they are doing,

because that tallies with no others.

There might be a little oil in the sump, but there should not be much..

They are supposed to remove the Oil Filter & Drain.

New Filter and new oil.

3.6 Litres @ 857 Grams is 3085.2 grams.

Then do the 621 miles, or as you did, 621 plus 10%,  then remove Oil & Filter & weigh.

It used to be,

New Oil and Filter,  bring to heat, Drop Oil, & Weigh.

do the Driving Test, drop oil and weigh.

Maybe their figure is the first dropped oil & then the second weigh after 690 miles.

But weight at the start of test really should be the 3.6 litres weight.

Then whats Drained weigh, show that difference.

Then the final weight. after the mileage driven.

Can you just photograph the Invoice/Report and see if you can post?

Lets see how theirs compare with the other 2 that are in the link in post #6.

• Like 1

This saga will continue beyond the last Fabia vRS MK2 LEAVES THE SHOWROOM IN THE UK.

It appears to me that you, sk4gw, are the only person in the UK that give help and consistent information relating to the lovely/fun but trouble car.

VAG/ Skoda UK have had no consistent   process , dealership plan or method to handle it's "much valued" Customer issues, pertaining to this thread issue and the overall engine repair /replacement programme.

I thank you for the support you have given to all Briskoda members , that have  suffered  and no doubt other casual readers who have read your detailed replies .

Cheers.

Keith

• Like 3

EDIT< posting while you did, cheers.

Zom414,

I can only suggest you pursue this now with Skoda UK.

Question the procedure carried out, their competence to carry the test out and get an accurate test result.

Find out why you are being asked to pay when clearly they are putting you and other customers to wasted time, and now expense

while they are fully aware of the short comings of the engine.

Your car is Low Mileage and under Warranty, so i would drive it and enjoy its performance,

& monitor how much oil you need to put in.

If the consumption increases, they will have to take action and compensate you for the Oil used,

and the test charge.

& an Email the same as 'austenw90',  sent to 

ALASDAIR STEWART,

BRAND DIRECTOR SKODA UK. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just started the process  off  e-mail to dealer and Contact Skoda UK CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Regarding THE INCREASE in consumption of my Partner's May 2011 model, having cover 41000 miles with boarder line consumption rate up until now.

However, since the 35000 mile service undertaken by her Dealership, it has shown signs of a marked increase in consumption, to 1 litre in last 477 mile covered very recently.

So here we go again.

Dealer has just responded to my e-mail of today. Book car in ,however if consumption test is within limits of the manual then Customer will have to pay.

As you can imagine I have responded on her behalf, out lining  the very well reported history.

George I will check out whether CAVE or CTHE plant. Unless you can put a date on the change.

I brought my vrs in the end of November and booked it in for a oil test in the beginning of January the test was free but had to buy the oil which only 1 ltr and was about £8. In the end the car was using to much oil, so the nice lady behind the counter got my car in to take al load of pictures as the breather pipe is on back order from skoda with no due date. Straight for a new engine now booked in for the 19th of this month and there getting my a courtesy car all for free happy days.

• Like 1

They asked me to pay, and they were really consistent.

In the end I rang Skoda customer services who said they would pay for it this time but if I wanted to take the test again and it failed then I would have to pay.

Seems a bit silly that a customer feels that their car is broken is then asked to pay to carry out any tests, especially if said car is only 2 months old (like mine was!)...

• Like 1

CAVE engine until after mid 2012,  CTHE arrived about before the last quarter 2012, September-October or so.

When collecting a new car or a car that has been serviced,

you really need to check it has not been overfilled with oil.

Do a cold dip and see the oil is not at the top orange marker.

& do a proper Hot dip.

Over filling is often the reason people are then aware of oil being used.

The engine needs 3.6 litres putting in, not more.

• Like 2

Some need a toke after passing an Oil Consumption test were the result is only 0.3 Litres used per 621 miles. estimated from the car being driving only 186 miles.

Usually thats just the Test result,

later the proper test shows the Engine is not within acceptable tolerances.

Skoda/VAG quality control of engine building and parts was wanting as they well know.

Some at Skoda just blow smoke out their ar5e.

There must be quite a few on drugs, and plenty at Skoda/VAG that never studied maths of Mechanical Engineering.

• Like 1

its Gordon lamb's in Chesterfield buddy.

I got mine from the derby Gordon Lamb. I live in Blackpool thougj so far too far to travel back there. Yours is the kind of result I need though! Mine isnt looking good. My local dealer is being brill so far though. Although the extra issue I had at the weekend has put a bit of a spanner in the works. Maybe I need to confer with gonephising or sk4gw about my latest issue regarding oil consumption test.