Pulled over for having DRLs on

bobnaldo

Aaaaggggghhhhhh, just been pulled over on the m62 for having my DRL's on.

The officer wasn't impressed with the fact I couldn't turn my "fog" lights off without removing the fuse cover.

I wasn't impressed with having been pulled over with my 1 year old in the back and then having to rejoin the motorway in bad visibility, so I guess we were even.

Just frustrating being pulled over for their lack of car knowledge. I wouldn't mind but I'm a mid 30's geeky accountant with a 1 year old on board, hardly a menace to society.

Anyway rant over.

Edited by bobnaldo
  • Like 4

Shouldn't of pulled the fuse if you did then he will expect them all to be done.

Did you ask him to switch the lights on and off so he saw it for himself? If anything pop into the station and express your "knowledge" on the matter.

He did not say 'pull fuse',  just remove fuse cover.  

ie to switch off DRL's from coming on at their brightness when sidelights are not on..

Turning the sidelights or sidelights and headlights are enough to show anyone what the light units are on a vRS.

No, no need to disable them to suit the Orificer,

but it is worth showing him what Skoda did as standard.

• Like 1

Yeah I just removed the cover to show him the switch, didn't touch the fuses. He ended up saying it's not worth it and stormed off.

I'll drop into the police station to question if it's worth pulling someone over with a child on board because they're using a safety feature of their car.

• Like 2

You should have gone round to the back of the car and shown him that the rear lights are not illuminated, therefore how can these be fog lights.

I hope the rozzer also pulled over a few Volvo's as they have the same lights too.

A prime example of EU legislation for DRL's not being communicated to the authorities who are supposed to be in the know.

Take your hand book and go to the Police station and ask to speak with the officer who stopped you and educate him.

• Like 2

Since purchasing my Octavia vRS FL I have been waiting to be pulled over for 'fog lights on', but hasn't happened yet.  As my car is black I have left them to come on automatically with the ignition although they can be easily switched off via Maxi-dot.

He pulled in front of me with a sign in the back saying turn off fog lights, obviously I couldn't, so it was awkward for a bit.

Then he went into the middle lane and made me undertake him, which was more awkward. Once behind me, it was full flashing lights.

I find I choose to go on to side lights sometimes to dim my DLRs and reduce the risk of getting pulled, not ideal.

Being pulled and then breathalysed is not a pleasant experience even if innocent, he let me keep the breathalyser pipe as a souvenir nice mis-informed rosser.    

Getting a bit popular is the Fuzz pulling people over for DRL's.

I'm surprised at LED's being mistaken for DRL's though, as they seem quite common. Less so when standard halogen's are used as I could see them being less obvious.

Have you seen a set on?  They are LED's and they are DRL's/Sidelight units.

Do you mean mistaken as Fogs?

Fabia mk2 vRS DRL's are by far the easiest to mistake as Fog, Spot or driving lights. They are the Same as the Volvo ones and ones on a model of new Porsche.

Not that common to see a vRS in some areas, since there are only 2,600 distributed around the UK.

Many without the daft DRL's operating.

The Sidelights are bad enough, and really bright enough to be mistaken by many as DRL's.

They do dim.

That pictures above are sidelights with half of the lenses masked over.

'Parking Lights' are a Sidelight on front and rear.  'One side' is a parking light, a pair of sidelights are not.

In the case of a vRS, that is the LED Sidelight to the front.

Rear Parking Light is one sidelight and one side of the number plate.

Put your indicator stalk down and leave the car parked.

So. Every car/van iv driven with fogs, you can only have them on when the sidelights of main beams are on. Im not sure this is the case for all cars?

But if it is, its pretty obvious the vrs lights are drls, as there wont be any sidelights on. Seems simple to me?

Fog lights should go out with Main Beam. and be on with Dipped Beam and Sidelights, but some cars do have Fogs that stay on with Full beam on.

It is not Pretty Obvious that they are DRL's, as the past 3 threads on Police Officers Stopping vRS might indicate.

Or they are less knowledgable than the general public,

which is odd for a Full Time Traffic Officer, that must get out on the Public Highway quite often.

One would hope anyway.

They do dim.

That pictures above are sidelights with half of the lenses masked over.

'Parking Lights' are a Sidelight on front and rear.  'One side' is a parking light, a pair of sidelights are not.

In the case of a vRS, that is the LED Sidelight to the front.

Rear Parking Light is one sidelight and one side of the number plate.

Put your indicator stalk down and leave the car parked.

Sorry I miss informed you George, I meant sidelights/headlights. Arn't the DRL's supposed to dim or go out when these are on. Some Fords or Mercs seem to be on full brightness all the time.