Inlet manifold leak - A new one?

After 3 years of completely trouble free service, on Friday, I had my "Control system for exhaust warning light" coming on, actually the first warning light ever to come up. No power loss or strange feeling, although I didn't really want to push it hard with the light on!

I called Skoda assistance and they said we better tow you to the nearest dealership (30KM away) as we can't tell by telephone how serious it could be. It was Friday evening so I told them better come Monday morning as the car would just sit at the dealers for the whole weekend and I'd like to be near when it would be in. So I thought, why not do a VCDS scan while waiting for Monday? I did and the fault coming up was:

4050 - Leak in Air Intake System 
          P2279 00 [237] - Lower Limit Exceeded
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 44555 km
                    Date: 2035.14.22
                    Time: 14:14:30

Hmmm, I had recenlty installed an ITG induction kit so thought hey, I think I have a suspect. Went out only to see the spring collars slightly out of place and thought this must be it! Reconnected them, cleared the fault and on Monday, off I went. After 20KM, warning light comes on again, thought ok, it's not the induction kit so better head to Skoda. Surprisingly enough, they suggested reconnecting the stock filter in order to investigate further, instead of just sending me away and denying all work.

Today I get a call and apparently the inlet manifold is to blame and a replacement part has been ordered (Luckily covered by gurantee extension I had purchased.) Where exactly, or which piece or tube or seal has failed I couldn't understand from the phone in french terminology, I just understood inlet manifold. Although, the manifold itself would be weird to have failed I believe it must be some other related piece. Am I right in believing this is a rather rare/unheard of failure for these engines and I am just on a streak of bad luck lately (dampers still under repair)? They said the repair would normally cost around 500 eur all inlusive if I was to pay. Extension was 750 plus some other advantages so it has just paid off I think.

On 'gtyler' s vRS the garage said the found a Cracked Turbo pipe and replaced it i believe.

That is the car waiting for a new ECU now.

'MartynVRS'  had a burst pipe replaced i think,

maybe they could say themselfs.

george

Hmm, don't know if that was similar, I haven't yet understood which part was the one that failed and how exactly. Good thing it happened now I'm still on stock map though to be honest, I've been put off with the late events.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got the car back yesterday. Apparently there was a leak in the induction system. They tried changing the seals but that didn't cure it so after further investigation they discovered that one of the plastic pipes had deformed, probably due to excessive heat and couldn't seal properly, hence a replacement was ordered. Asking if they had seen that before he said, no, it's the first time we encounter something like that in this engine. His guess was there could be a manufacturing defect which only worsened in time, other than that no apparent explanation for such a failure....

Car is fine now, I was much surprised to open the bonnet and find they had even mounted back my ITG kit (!) in place of the stock one I provided for them in order to search for the problem but can't say I'm too happy after a first-ever failure of this type on this car (at least from what I've read on the internet). Good thing is the entire repair and parts are accompanied by 2 year Skoda warranty so should relax for the time being. But what about my remap plans.... Hmm...

• Like 1

Good.

In the UK,

the Warranty Replacement parts do not have a 2 year Warranty on them.

When replaced under the Manufacturers Warranty.

(Just the remainder of the period of the Manufacturers Warranty covers it.)

'Skoda Replacement parts' Purchased, have a 2 Year Warranty.

& where a Cars Extended Warranty Company pays for parts,

they have a 2 Year Warranty on them.

Like those that have Engines Replaced and the car was over 3 years old, and had an Extended Warranty.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

page 6

Actually mine was covered due to a 3 year warranty extension I had purchased with the car, which is offered by the French Skoda importer so maybe that's why.

Also, it was not the plastic pipes through which the air arrives at the manifold, it was the actual manifold from what it seems, I just had a look on the repair papers, part no. 03C129709BA, all right...

post-76656-0-00134600-1400154354_thumb.png

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

In detail:

03C129717A Joint (x4) = 19,12

03C129717B Joint = 4,89

03C129709BA Manifold = 169,54

Removing and installing 1.1 hour x 81 = 89,10

Diagnostic check 0.5 hour x 81 = 40,50

325,13 + VAT = 390,16 Euros

• Like 1

Can't say I've read it down to the latest word but when explained to me some years ago, they said I wouldn't be covered only if the aftermarket part was directly related to the fault. Now I would think this would be a case like that. A leak in the air intake system and an aftermarket air kit present, how easier it could be to deny warranty work by linking the two? But luckily it wasn't the case. They saw the kit but the problem was further down the intake system, they replaced the faulty part and even put the aftermarket kit back in...  :o

Now if a future ecu remap could be blamed for that same fault re-occuring I don't know but at the end, it makes sense to only offer warranty on stock parts doesn't it? It would sound crazy to say go ahead remap your cars to whatever you want, we are here to cover any damage...

The UK 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty' with Car Care Plan, says in Warranty conditions..

14. MODIFICATIONS TO THE VEHICLE.

" If you would like the vehicle to be modified in any way, 

you should obtain prior approval and the work should 

be carried out by a retailer participating in the SKODA

Approved Extended Warranty Programme.

In the event that a modification, which was not approved 

by us, contributes to a fault,

we reserve the right to reject any claim you may wish to

make in relation to the fault."

So any engine failure might have them having the ECU inspected,

It usually does.

• 1 month later...

Ok, it is barely 2 months after the issue and yesterday the "Control system for exhaust" warning light came on again, I can't believe this cr@p. If it was indeed the intake manifold that was replaced last time, how could it have broken down again so soon? At first I thought it was the ITG intake to blame as the VCDS scan read again:

"1 Fault Found:

4050 - Leak in Air Intake System 
          P2279 00 [237] - Lower Limit Exceeded
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 46150 km
                    Date: 2037.14.28
                    Time: 12:18:55

Readiness: 0010 0101"

So I removed it, put stock intake in , cleared the fault only for it to re-appear after a while. Apparently the error comes on just after the car starts and from the VCDS log it seems it doesn't re-occure while driving. An error during the system check maybe? Hate to drive all the way to the dealers again...

If you have VCDS then just log it. There's VCDS sub-forum here for all the guidance on how to do it. I do not know if that code registers only once or is monitored continously. I asked for fuel trims as this can tell you if your engine is getting unmetered air - in such case fuel trims are positive above 10% all the time or depending on how big the leak is maxed out all the time. Is your MAP pressure OK?

It could be leaking injector as well which might show fuel pressure to low.

How ia your fuel consumption?

Now I've booked it in for Thrusday but could have a look before I go. Fuel consumption seemed a bit higher than usual this morning but can't be sure it wasn't down to the trip conditions...

Haven't checked after I left from them the last time and seemingly all was fine but will ask this time. To be honest, I shouldn't be asking them to do an update if needed should I? If Skoda has issued an update for my ECU they should have just gone ahead and apply it without asking me. And especially after connecting the car to the diagnostics bench they should have seen if one was out.

What bugs me though is that it's not a fault I've heard again for our cars and seeing it appearing for a second time in 2 months is rather worrying. Funny that only last week I was discussing the details of a custom stage 1 map with a reputable tuner in Greece plus an IC upgrade but after this incident I am thinking whether it would be better to sell up.

Typical stuff in the engine bay looks ok but I don't plan to start spraying around a relatively new car still under warranty to check for leaks myself, I expect the Skoda garage to find the fault on Thursday when the car is booked to go in. Until then probably I won't have much to report back...

newbie69 - do you have a BOV adapter fitted? This bought up the same fault code you mentioned above. 

Sorry for your car troubles - It could be as simple as an incorrectly seated seal/hose but i hope you get it sorted.