VRS complaints (2013+ model)

So i have had my VRS for over a year and i have a few annoying niggles with it, im pretty sure its fine mechanically but thought i would share these, my car has a TMC box now but it was no different before, perhaps worse even!:

Throttle mapping

In town the response can be a bit OTT sometimes, i press the peddle lightly and get way more than i asked for resulting in some heart attack moments in traffic and once a serious under-steer pulling out of a petrol station almost catapulting me into a parked car (traction control was off).

Then on the motorway it does the exact opposite, full throttle and 70% throttle seem to deliver the exact same power..... bit naff when you are briskly driving and then want that bit more and there is none!.

Power delivery

Its inconsistent, sometimes when going WOT it pushes you into the seat like a 200bhp car should, then sometimes it just doesn't and makes more noise then power.

Almost like the fueling isn't quite right, this is random and usually only happens when i go from 50-70% to WOT, or if i am traveling at speed already.

If i launch from almost standstill it will pull and pull no problem.

If engine is coldish (not up to temp) and i give it some beans it cuts the power or rather holds the revs as if its protecting the engine... really weird and only when cold and since installing the TMC box (standard settings).

So yeah that's my faults.

Is this just me or possibly i have an issue with my car?

Oh and 11k and not a drop of oil has been used, i check all the time :D

Edited by dandanfings

Is this all happening in 'D', ?

Are you using 99 ron petrol?

If you leave TC on and it spins the wheels it cuts power to the engine.

Do you understand when you have Supercharger to 2,000 rpm, then Super & Turbo possible to 3,500 & then Turbo?

Maybe worth getting the TMC box off and the latest Map onto the ECU and see how it is.

?

Its the Ebay TMC box you have i remember from the thread on that, is that right?

I would think the Tuning Box has lots to do with the odd way it performs.

george

Oh and 11k and not a drop of oil has been used, i check all the time :D

Oh how I envy you!!! :-p

In all seriousness I have not heard of your issues before. It's sounds more like a DSG characteristic. Have you driven auto's/DSG boxes before?

When hitting the kick down switch (when applying full throttle and beyond) can cause the engine to produce a lot more noise and then a fair delay of around 1.5 seconds (seems like an age when you have a TDI blandsmobile trying to undertake!) before the gear is swapped and you take off.

There can be a delay when already rolling and then applying throttle, I just learnt how the DSG works and altered my driving style accordingly.

I have been fortunate enough to own 2 DSG vehicles.

golf gti mk6 with DSG 6 (wonderful gearbox faultless)

Skoda Yeti with DSG 7

Yeti had the same box, i found the 1.2tsi in that car drove better and did what i needed it to when i wanted, this one doesnt.

I fully understand my engine, i have driven the very first model in a MK5 golf and later version in a scirocco and i found that they all drove better, again with DSG7 gearbox (MK5 had the wonderful DSG6)

I use Tesco 99 octane fuel and always turn off traction control unless conditions are very wet or doing high speed driving on a motorway.

Edited by dandanfings

Ohh to give another example of my car.

I was at about 3000rpm and had the foot to the floor WOT but without hitting the kick down switch, car was moving through the revs and holding the gear and then suddenly changed up!.

Really frustrated me as it wasn't as if i was too late to put my foot down, the ECU had plenty of time to decide to hold the gear  :wall:

? Is this in 'D' or in 'S', ?

nothing much wrong with the gearbox changing up at 3,000 rpm if in 'D' is there?

If you were not dropping gears to get a shift on.

2,400-2,500 rpm in 7th is over 70 mph normally.

You can take a vRS with less power than yours to 100 mph in 4th.

You have a different engine with different engine management if it is a 1.4 TSI CTHE.

TC off was maybe the reason for almost hitting a parked car, rather than understeer.

Yours is the first CTHE i have heard with a Tuning box fitted.

If it was misbehaving before fitting the box,

its hardly likely to be better with it fitted.

Your box is not helping matters with the ECU, probably very much the cause of the issues.

• Like 1

I use mine to tech learners to drive, and none of them have every had an issue with throttle response (i.e. gentle progress , no sudden issues, linea responses.. no sudden flying away....)

soiundls like there is something wrong. people have had the pedal box replaced before, its all fly by wire.... maybe get it to the dealers, and have them check the pedal box.

• Like 1

We've had two vRS and I've found both of them to be very sensitive on the early part of the throttle travel. Wife is fine with it though but takes me awhile to get used to it again if I haven't driven it for a few days.

Full throttle at 75% throttle travel is normal on these. The pedal/throttle isn't linear by design. Useful so as to avoid hitting the kick down switch when requesting max throttle.

Sounds like you give your car abit of a hard life -tmc box, booting it from cold, driving mainly with TC off. Goes to show "drive it like you stole it" is the best plan for avoiding oil use!

• Like 1

We've had two vRS and I've found both of them to be very sensitive on the early part of the throttle travel. Wife is fine with it though but takes me awhile to get used to it again if I haven't driven it for a few days.

Full throttle at 75% throttle travel is normal on these. The pedal/throttle isn't linear by design. Useful so as to avoid hitting the kick down switch when requesting max throttle.

Sounds like you give your car abit of a hard life -tmc box, booting it from cold, driving mainly with TC off. Goes to show "drive it like you stole it" is the best plan for avoiding oil use!

Lives in London so short trips.... which would usually cause high oil usage in most cars how ironic huh!.

I am hoping that a proper remap by APR or REVO solves the behaviour, i do think its my high expectations from coming from a MK6 golf, that car is perfect in everyway.

• Like 1

I would give a remap by REVO a miss on a 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

Have you found anyone willing to do the Remap on a CTHE?

Have you tried the car without the Tuning box recently to see how it behaves?

How long have you had it fitted for.?

Short runs should not cause high oil use in them since the revised engine and management.

I would give a remap by REVO a miss on a 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

Have you found anyone willing to do the Remap on a CTHE?

Have you tried the car without the Tuning box recently to see how it behaves?

How long have you had it fitted for.?

Short runs should not cause high oil use in them since the revised engine and management.

I heard something negative about revo in the past, cant seem to find it?.

I was told by another tuner that their maps leave alot to be desired but then again revo cracked the ECU before they did....

Reluctant to remove tuning box as it was a pig to install as have to remove the turbo inlet pipe to access the plug!.

But i did 10k without a tune and it was the exact same.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/210335-installing-tmc-tuning-box-mk2-fabia-vrs-tsi-guide

You are reading different threads from me then on REVO,  but some Posts & threads were removed, because of

REVO & actions being taken by members, lack of REVO action as well possibly..

I have run a REVO Stage 1 map, i would recommend against it.

You need to find someone that can do your CTHE ECU anyway, 

there is a thread in the Performance section were Evan@APR thinks it is no problem,

so maybe have a word with a APR Dealer.

http://goapr.co.uk

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/210335-installing-tmc-tuning-box-mk2-fabia-vrs-tsi-guide

You are reading different threads from me then on REVO,  but some Posts & threads were removed, because of

REVO & actions being taken by members, lack of REVO action as well possibly..

I have run a REVO Stage 1 map, i would recommend against it.

You need to find someone that can do your CTHE ECU anyway, 

there is a thread in the Performance section were Evan@APR thinks it is no problem,

so maybe have a word with a APR Dealer.

http://goapr.co.uk

APR tried to map my car at the beginning of 2013 but were unable to and i believe it was evan (american chap) who was based at milton keynes at the time said he would sort me out a map once they cracked the ECU.

fast forward to present and APR are no longer based in milton keynes and awesome gti tried to get hold of him and he claims to have no recollection of the events :s

Reluctant to remove tuning box as it was a pig to install as have to remove the turbo inlet pipe to access the plug!.

But i did 10k without a tune and it was the exact same.

Really ? its 3 torx bolts and a bit of wiggling ?

• Like 1

DSG should not be changing up at 3000rpm with Wide Open Throttle even if kickdown switched is not pressed. Something not right there if it's doing that.

Lee

No idea how you get one to 3,000 rpm with the throttle to the floor with Turbo & Supercharger coming in on demand,

its going to shift up at 4,200 or so, or redline depending on how its being driven.

unless you have a Ebay/South American  version TMC Tuning box wired up and much confusion happening. 

Thats were something is not right.