So much for German engineering

61 plate with 29k on the clock done under warranty , same engine in the skoda so start lifting the engine cover girls and checking around the seal/ injectors should be your first check point as this is the lowest point so should pool there if anywhere also look behind the engine for run off

• Like 1

46hr hanging round in the corner of the workshop while they procrastinate or work on more interesting things, 2hr doing the job at the last minute after you've phoned up to find out if it's ready.

• Like 4

The last time I had a leaky rocker cover gasket, my response was to tighten the loose nut myself. I think I spent about as long finding the right size socket as tightening the nut!

Takes anything between 8 hrs and 24 hrs too cure ? Depending on ambient temp ?and better being over cautious than the alternative , so then hopefully it will cure the issue as for tightening the nuts I'm not sure if its the main rocker cover or the plastic part which combines the oil filler neck and thankfully I've got warranty until October so they will service it once more before I do

Aren't they all supposed to be tightened down in the correct pattern, to the correct torque?

I wouldnt touch it myself. If you strip a thread or something silly, itll take them 30 seconds to blame it on you, then itll cost you hundreds to get it sorted.

• Like 1

Aren't they all supposed to be tightened down in the correct pattern, to the correct torque?

I wouldnt touch it myself. If you strip a thread or something silly, itll take them 30 seconds to blame it on you, then itll cost you hundreds to get it sorted.

My knowledge of modern engines Is limited, but I think that's restricted to the head studs. I don't think there'd be any pressure behind the rocker cover so wouldn't need to be as exact.

Huh? I was talking about the rocker cover, which is there to stop oil spray from the valve gear, not the cylinder head or the manifolds.

• Like 1

Its important not to over tighten rocker cover or you knacker the gasket and end up with oil sprayed out. A little over finger tight should suffice and its still a bloody 10 minute job! Unless of course vw are aware of a specific defect....

• Like 2

Its important not to over tighten rocker cover or you knacker the gasket and end up with oil sprayed out. A little over finger tight should suffice and its still a bloody 10 minute job! Unless of course vw are aware of a specific defect....

I think from the way the service engineer was saying " a known issue " apparently they have to put some sealer and that needs to cure for at least 8hrs therefore leaving it longer than this is preferred so more of a 24 hr job really before turning the engine over and them inspection of said job

Just thought the pressure in a cr engine is higher than a pd engine ? Must be dreaming

stick to gardening, Seb :D

The CR actually uses a lower pressure in the rails/ pipes that supply the injectors. The PD injectors had their own individual pump and ran at a higher pressure.

stick to gardening, Seb :D

The CR actually uses a lower pressure in the rails/ pipes that supply the injectors. The PD injectors had their own individual pump and ran at a higher pressure.

Not quite sure what you mean? The high pressure fuel pump delivers a higher pressure than the PD tandem pump does. Break off pressure on a PD or CR injector were comparable from what I remember from the Diesel engine training I had.

Not quite sure what you mean? The high pressure fuel pump delivers a higher pressure than the PD tandem pump does. Break off pressure on a PD or CR injector were comparable from what I remember from the Diesel engine training I had.

I'll stick to Gardening, Tech1e :D

I always thought that the PD injected at a higher pressure than the CR. You live n learn :)

• Like 1

I think from the way the service engineer was saying " a known issue " apparently they have to put some sealer and that needs to cure for at least 8hrs therefore leaving it longer than this is preferred so more of a 24 hr job really before turning the engine over and them inspection of said job

Never heard of this being an issue with a rocker cover before, so back to the subject line then!

Cylinder head distortion due to overheat ? That would be classic VW.  Think No 1 cylinder head gasket early marques VW Golf.

Rather than take the head-off and skim the rocker mating surface flat, they squeeze some "hard" silicone sealant onto the uneven bits and then bed the gasket into that ?

That would be a bodge.

Nick

• Like 1