Lack of development VRS - Rant

As the title says, just nothing out there for the 1.4tsi........... now i know people will start saying 'well duh the engines blow up' but really and truly that's only a percentage of owners.

The 2.0tsi EA888 actually seizes when you pull close to a G in a left hand corner due to oil starvation on one of the cylinders, this effects EVERY single car with that engine and look at the amount of parts for that!.

The little 1.4tsi has so much potential, the crank, rods and pistons are actually pretty damn strong and people in Greece often have hybrid turbos/big turbos running 270bhp-350bhp without issue.

The only bolt on turbo on the market here is a poorly designed LOBA that requires unreasonably high boost in order to make more power and has oil seal issues with a decat pipe... its a joke.

The biggest wind up for me is the super charger, why hasn't anyone tried to manipulate that?.

Could you imagine the amount of low end torque it would kick out with another 12% reduction in pulley size, would be hilarious!. 

• Different pulleys
  • Change the RPM clutch disengagement so it spins a little longer to add midrange
  • Bigger supercharger 

Then there's our 7-DSG, there are a few company's in Greece and Australia that raise the torque limit and offer better software but again nothing for us over here.

Dont even get me started with APR/REVO and their 'coming soon' CTHE remap.......... its been almost 18 months now! 

Yeah you can see i am wound up, seems the tuners think that the bigger market is the 2.0tsi engine vehicles, but really i disagree, its because there are no decent parts for our 1.4tsi.

Hows the saying go.... Build it and they will come...

At this point in time 2014, its too little too late and i look at my little VRS and feel like its a wasted car :(

Edited by dandanfings

Sorry I disagree, the Loba isn't the only option. Turbo dynamics and Garrett both offer big turbo or hybrid options. The loba is weak because it is simply a Hybrid of the stock turbo which has inherent weaknesses carried over to the LOBA.

I know UK tuners like Autograph in the Northwest who can offer DSG remapping.

Adding more supercharger torque will give huge issues with traction, low down torque is already more than an uprated Chassis will comfortably put down, the time is better spent on turbo end as far as most people I talk to would suggest.

By my thinking 230/40bhp should be safe and simple to achieve with the right funds, any more and you risk the wrath of the engine demons. The engine demons in a nutshell are why tuners are reluctant to develop for this car. APR gave a manful attempt to drop a stage 3 kit on us but the car struggled at that state of tune, ultimately these companies need to make money so an excessively high cost to stage 3 will put buyers off. But if budget is no problem then you can probably crack 300bhp.

Sorry I disagree, the Loba isn't the only option. Turbo dynamics and Garrett both offer big turbo or hybrid options. The loba is weak because it is simply a Hybrid of the stock turbo which has inherent weaknesses carried over to the LOBA.

I know UK tuners like Autograph in the Northwest who can offer DSG remapping.

Adding more supercharger torque will give huge issues with traction, low down torque is already more than an uprated Chassis will comfortably put down, the time is better spent on turbo end as far as most people I talk to would suggest.

By my thinking 230/40bhp should be safe and simple to achieve with the right funds, any more and you risk the wrath of the engine demons. The engine demons in a nutshell are why tuners are reluctant to develop for this car. APR gave a manful attempt to drop a stage 3 kit on us but the car struggled at that state of tune, ultimately these companies need to make money so an excessively high cost to stage 3 will put buyers off. But if budget is no problem then you can probably crack 300bhp.

Any FWD has issues with traction.

I have never seen any other turbo options i take it you refer to a hybrid upgrade, well thats not really of any use since there is no software to support it.

There is no true stage 3 offering, what are these engine demons you refer to?.

As for the DSG remap by autograph, nothing is mentioned for the 7 speed.

I speed up for corners, I'm not a horse power junkie, it all about the balance for me, the engine and box combo is very good so chassis and brakes is what a stock vrs lacks in my opinion and there are upgrades a plenty out there to sort the chassis, brake upgrade kits are a bit thin on the ground but engine wise companies are not going to invest into upgrades that are expensive to develop with a small potential customer base and then with the uncertainty of the engine problems landing in there lap when it was an original manufacturing problem in the first instance it to much of a risk from a business point of view to offer stage 2 and 3 with any confidence.

• Like 3

I agree with most of that post wrighty.

On the brakes though, anything for Mk4 golf platform will bolt straight on so actually one of the areas with most options. You have frugal 312mm options right up to Porsche Calipers or Tarox six pots and everything inbetween.

• Like 1

I agree with most of that post wrighty.

On the brakes though, anything for Mk4 golf platform will bolt straight on so actually one of the areas with most options. You have frugal 312mm options right up to Porsche Calipers or Tarox six pots and everything inbetween.

Yeah well I do have a pair of Brembo 4 pots off a Leon curpra R in a state of rebuild as we speak, problem is work has picked and had no time to play since striping them a month ago.

There's a place in Leeds that can map the 7 speed DSG that a guy told me about I can't remember the name of the place but as soon as I find the email with the link I'll post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk