Possible oil issue...

I've just checked my oil...I've got some concerns. Drove about 15 miles and got the temp up to 90 degree odd. Left the car for ten mins and checked my oil. Only the orange ball seems to have oil on, no oil on metal stick whatsoever.

I'm ****ting it at mo as you can imagine. I've had no oil light come on at all. I checked oil couple months back and it was fine. I haven't checked the oil cold yet so going to check it in the morning. Doesn't sound good does it? :-(

I think I've done 3000 miles roughly since car was bought. Had a service when I got it and was definitely full when I checked on purchase. I've just checked it again and it's gone up a little from what I can see. Still low though according to dipstick.

I contacted skoda before I bought the car and they confirmed that no oil issues were ever reported so I'm not too worried. Knew that it would use some oil. I need to get my mileage bang on and work out the figures properly. It takes 3.7 litres if I am correct? To be save I'm just going to stick some in tomorrow. Worried about over filling though so might just whack couple of litres in. Which oil would you recommend mate?

Just top it up and drive it, our car used quite a bit but did not present any further issues, breezed an MOT and drove well. Personally I wouldn't worry too much, just monitor it and enjoy your VRS.

• Like 1

yeah, dont put 2 litres in! from off the bottom of the dipstick 1 litre will fill it up to the top ;)

as phill said , try half a litre...... If the oil warning light ever come on (amber) then 1 litre is sufficient to fill it back up...

I've stopped checking when its anywhere near warm or "up to temperature". I think it's nonsense tbh. Used to check mine that way and was convinced i had an oil problem and was topping up all tjme.

Now though, i go for the leave it overnight and check in the morning method. Way more accurate. Not bought any oil in over 4 months now, and only done tiny tiny top ups, no where near like i was doing before.  

Not saying either method is accurate mind, just the second one works for me.

• Like 4

At the end of the day, I know the manual says check at operating temp, but how can checking cold oil not be a more consistent way. All the oil will be in the sump, so if you know where the level of 3.6 litres sits on the dipstick at cold then that is your guideline. Warm temp checking is just so inconsistent. 

Just keep a regular eye on it OP and top up as needed, most of these do lose some oil in normal use, some far more than others admittedly. It can also happen suddenly, after months of consistent healthy levels.

• Like 4

I find warm check wildly different.... you can find no oil at all , but a reasurring half full at cold, lol....

I would advise never fill up more than half a litre , unless the warning light has come on, then stick a litre in :)

• Like 4

I recommend you get it in for a consumption test if you dont think its right. Thatll sort your peace of mind out. But castrol edge is the stuff you want. Well thats what I use anyway. Thats what I used before I had engine replaced too.

• Like 1

Yes!

Do as everyone has said and only top up in half litre increments, driving the car inbetween and checking as per the method you find the most consistent.

Put in the same spec oil (and brand if possible) as what is already in there.

Lastly a lot of us with non-oil using engines have had the same panic as you, best advice is to calm down and not panic until there is a real reason to.  This forum is awful for oil hysteria, yes some poor owners have serious issues, but there is still I believe a lot of overfilling and other behaviour being driven by fear of a bad engine.

My car has virtually used nothing in the last 10k miles including a track day, however that is apart for a month over Christmas when it ran itself down to the oil light going on.  This hasn't repeated and was most likely due to the type of driving and weather.  So even a sporadic drop in oil doesn't mean an issue.  I just topped up and assumed all was well, and it was.  Car drives great.

I find my car likes to go out for a good blast at least once a week, really get the engine worked out, seems to help oil use.

Hopefully this hasn't already been covered as I have seen new post alerts as I typed this.

• Like 3

Where is the level now, when cold on the dipstick?

If low add 0.5 litre.

Then wait and see when warning light appears then put in 0.5 -1.0 litre as a top up.

Then when warning light appears top up again with same amount as previous.

Then continue until next warning light appears. Calc consumption level. If level is as advised by George or higher then get the car booked in for testing with the dealer.

I would also raise the case via Skoda UK Customer Services  website contact e-mail. This will generate on return your cars Case No. for building the history record and get Skoda Customer Services driving the dealer to take actions ,if they haven't done already.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Hi guys. Just checked oil cold and it's still low, the same as when I tested it hot yesterday so I need to put some oil in today! Any recommendations?

Depends on your servicing schedule as to the spec, but in short Castrol Edge 5W30 if on variable, Castrol Edge 5W40 if on fixed.  Spec is listed in the handbook.

From straw polls over the previous couple of years, if you put too much in over the 3.6 litres (although George runs his at 3.7), it only burns it off.  At which point, the owner adds more because it's used some, repeat until bottle is empty and at which point they find they've burnt 5 litres between services.   I know some disapprove of the "wait until the light comes on" approach, but I add half a litre when it comes on - don't even look at the dipstick nowadays.  That will generally get me about 2/3rds the mileage again since the last time it was serviced/topped up.

Engines really don't like too much oil and WILL get rid of it themselves...whether or not you like it! 

Edited by philhoward
  • Like 1

All brilliant advice above!

My car uses 500ml per 1000 miles so compared to Sparklys car above you could class it as an oil user. I certainly do!

It's not all doom and gloom though!

My car has always had the same oil usage since I've had it. I'm now on 29000 trouble free miles. I've never gone down the oil consumption test and warranty claim route as I my car runs great and has not caused me any troubles.

Issues start when people get obsessed with their oil level. Over fill and cause engine problems by doing so. Then proceed to write horror stories on here causing more people to obsess over their oil level.

My advice is;

Stick to your oil dipping technique, hot or cold, always make it consistent.

Measure out the oil you top up and never add more than 500ml at once. I too up slowly measuring as I go leaving time for the oil to travel down the fill pip into the reservoir.

Most importantly: don't worry about it.

• Like 1

i wouldnt be too fussy about which oil you use, so long as its vw specific itll do the job

im using more than 3.6 ltrs between services so ive just bought Wilco's own fully synthetic 5/30, think it was £22 for 5 ltrs

previous to this i was buying shell helix from the dealer at £11 per ltr but once i had 8 empty bottles i decided enough was enough and ive just filled 5 of those from this big container and carry 1 around with me all the time. the important thing is its vw spec, my oil temps etc are just the same 88-92c

I would highly recommend you at least determine whether your car has variable service or fixed service interval VW spec oil in it!!!

If it was me though I would also want to use the same oil as last service change so as to take out another potential variable to diagnose if the car does have an oil issue.

If I didn't know what was in, I would have the oil dropped and refill it with a good quality correct grade oil and take things from there.

• Like 2

you cant always know this though, at first i was being sold castrol and then before the next service they changed to shell helix so i was buying this, so even the dealer was selling me different oils between services i questioned this to be told as long as its the correct vw spec it doesnt matter at all

i dont think adding a different brand oil is any worse than adding fresh oil to old polluted oil of the same brand, just stick to the correct spec. there isnt a court in the world that would let them use this as an excuse to refuse a warranty issue

• Like 1

Hi guys. Thanks for all the advice. I'd be lost without you guys. This morning it was just below the c marking according to fabia owners manual. Literally just touching the first metal part of the dipstick. Stated that I must put oil in immediately.

I've bought some castrol edge (this is what dealers said was it in) and I've put in around 750ml. I did what some of you recommended. small amounts then let it settle then a little more. I'd say I put in around 250ml at a time. I stopped at 750ml because I didn't want to push it.

I gave it half an hour and then checked again. At the mo, according to the dipstick, it's sitting just over half way, so still not full according to stick. I've not had any oil warning lights at all previous to this. Which is slightly concerning if the manual is telling me to feed it oil immediately and I've not had any warning haha

Keith, Car is still under official skoda warranty until October this year. 3 years old then. I'll take your advice and will send them an email just to inform them. Suppose I've got nothing to lose :-)

I love the car to bits and I know that I will have to feed it oil at some point, being a performance car. I've had no issues with the car whatsoever but I think by me reading this oil posts, It may have made me panic you're right haha.

Unrelated but whilst I was messing about with the car earlier, I noticed a orange sticker with a date and a number on engine. Any ideas what that would be guys?