Fabia vRS MK2- BREATHER FIX- YES OR NO for High Oil Consumption

High OIL CONSUMPTION mK2 BREATHER FIX  

17 members have voted

1. 1. DID IT FIX YOURS

• DID IT FIX YOUR
    • DID IT NOT FIX

What difference did members experience between test1 consumption rate and test 2 post breather mod consumption rate?

What difference did members experience between test1 consumption rate and test 2 post breather mod consumption rate?

Breather Mod on my original engine more than halved the amount it used according to the dealers, but it was still more than 500ml/1000km

• Like 1

breather mod fitter yesterday. going to test mine over 620 miles (1000km) and if it uses more than half a litre i'm strait back to the garage.

Note that it will consume more oil in stop start, around town driving and short runs, i.e. many peoples normal commute to work. If you were to do the 620 miles in two or three long distance runs using the car's performance, you will use significantly less oil.

• Like 2

The poll really needs a third choice.

Once I had the breather mod done my oil consumption improved but didn't go away.

Note that it will consume more oil in stop start, around town driving and short runs, i.e. many peoples normal commute to work. If you were to do the 620 miles in two or three long distance runs using the car's performance, you will use significantly less oil.

We drove to Scarborough and back( 140 miles round trip)........ The week the pipe was fitted and it used over half a litre.

They checked this at the dealership and immediately ordered a new engine

• Like 1

After the breather mod made a improvement I decided not to push for a new motor for 2 reason. 1- I could have gotten a rebuilt engine that was worse then my old one and 2- If I ended up with a CTHE then I would still be waiting for a tune to become available.

We drove to Scarborough and back( 140 miles round trip)........ The week the pipe was fitted and it used over half a litre.

They checked this at the dealership and immediately ordered a new engine

I'm going on my own experience and that of several others on the forum concerning the influence of driving style on oil consumption. In my case the oil consumption test that was carried out before engine replacement was a marginal fail by Skoda's terms. The breather mod had made no improvement. You must have had a particularly bad engine if it used 0.5L in 140 miles (!) but I'm not sure I'm reading that right. Did you drive it like you stole it? :)

I'm going on my own experience and that of several others on the forum concerning the influence of driving style on oil consumption. In my case the oil consumption test that was carried out before engine replacement was a marginal fail by Skoda's terms. The breather mod had made no improvement. You must have had a particularly bad engine if it used 0.5L in 140 miles (!) but I'm not sure I'm reading that right. Did you drive it like you stole it? :)

No...Wife drove...It was her car

whats a CHTE engine? 

The CHTE replaced the earlier CAVE engine in approx. October 2012 new cars. Introduced a number of internal changes to reduce / remove the high oil consumption issues(?) amongst other improvements.

These changes are also the basis for the recon replacement units now used.

• Like 1

they fit new pipes basically, 1 out of 10 cases work. Skoda are certain they have fixed my oil consumption. i'm testing my car myself as we speak, will update you all when i have drove 620 miles 

• Like 1

they fit new pipes basically, 1 out of 10 cases work. Skoda are certain they have fixed my oil consumption. i'm testing my car myself as we speak, will update you all when i have drove 620 miles 

Check out the old thread I resurrected today. Mirror image 18 months on!

Car originally was using 0.9 litre every 621 mile. Had breather mod installed. The breather mod originally dropped mine down to 0.3 litre every 621 mile according to dealer test. I soon noticed it was using more and had it re tested which it used a litre and half in 900 mile. Had new engine last month.

• Like 1

It did improve our cars oil consumption, it took from to just under the amount of oil usage needed to get a new engine. We were on about a litre every 1000 miles.

Since then though I have swapped the car and it is out there in the secondhand market waiting for a new owner.

• Like 1

That's it then, they fit a few new pipes???  No wonder it doesn't work.

A mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer and a Microsoft software engineer were driving through the desert when their car broke down.

The mechanical engineer said "It seems to be a problem with the fuel injection system, why don't we open the bonnet and I'll take a look at it." To which the electrical engineer replied, "No I think it's just a loose ground wire, I'll get out and take a look."

Finally the Microsoft software engineer jumps in. "No, no, no. Just close all the windows, everyone get out, walk clockwise round the car three times, wait five minutes, get back in, and then reopen the windows and everything will work fine."

It is not just, 'fit a few new pipes'.  it is 'pipes and breather valve',

& the Dealership should download the latest Skoda/VWG ECU update.

this is on the 'CAVE' 1.4 TSI Dualcharger engine from June 2010 - until late Summer 2012.  

Not on the 'CTHE' Engines built in the last quarter of 2012-on,

which should have the Pipes & Valve already as well as a different MAP on a Different ECU.

george

Hi goneoffski thanks for that. Sorry to be dense but what is the significance of the two photos?

The Revo Technik 1.4TSI Twincharger Known Engine Issues document doesn't make any mention of any breather fix so far as I can see.

Am I missing the point here?

Just realised, my car is more recent than 2012 so it isn't important anyhow :blush:

Edited by vxh26