12k miles and DSG clutch pack failure?

Well our TSI DSG was at the dealers a few weeks ago and on the job card was Software update and wiring loom. Haven't got round to questioning that and then this week we've had clutch judder and very occasional lack of drive when pulling away.

Dealer thinks it's the clutch pack that has gone but the cars done only 12k miles and it was fine before the software update.

I'm wondering now if they've done the mineral oil swap and messed something up.

I'm on hols at the moment so my Dad's took the car in.

Done over 100k miles on three different wet clutch dsg boxes without an issue.

Lee

• Like 1

This is grim news Lee. Sorry to hear of your plight, let's hope it turns out to be that they c*cked up the software update and it's no more than a simple adjustment.

I am still bricking it  about mine going in for the oil change later this month. Just hope I'm doing the right thing.

No doubt you will keep us informed and that it hasn't spoiled your holiday too much.

Harry.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that 'logiclee',

you had best check the ECU Update was actually done if the change from Synthetic Oil to Mineral was done.

(Another member had the DSG Oil Changed and was 'wrongly' told no Update to the ECU was Required)

Horkin.

It is a 'Service Campaign',

they advise you that you should have the Field Action done.  That is them Changing the Oil & the ECU Update.

If you choose not to have it done,

They ask you to Sign a declaration to say you have been Advised of the change to the Manufacturers Service Guidelines & Service Schedule.

It is your choice to have it done or not,

if not it would appear you are on your own.

IMO,

THE ADVISE SHOULD INCLUDE AN EXPLANATION IN WRITING FROM THE MANUFACTURER WHY YOU MIGHT BE BEST TO HAVE THE WORK DONE.

But Skoda & VW are well known for not committing to things in writing or Explanations to Customers.

So basically if you still are under Manufacturers Warranty, or an Extended Warranty and if there are faults with the DSG in the Future Skoda/VW or the Warranty Company might not cover you unless you allowed some Dealership Workshop to Change the Oil & do a ECU Update.

** NO PLACE HAVE I READ THAT IF YOU HAVE IT DONE AND ANYTHING GOES WRONG WHEN THE DSG IS OUT OF WARRANTY 
OR IF THE DEALER MESSES UP, ARE SKODA GOING TO SORT IT OUT.**

Strange thing is,

VW Extended Warranties to 100,000 miles in other Countries, & World Regions,

yet in the UK there is no mention of Extended Warranties on your DSG if it is over 3 years old & has the 'Field Action' of this Service Campaign Carried out.

Or if Owners just need to hope there is 'Good Will Gestures from Skoda'.

Only thing is, Skoda & Dealerships have different ideas on, In Warranty & Out of Warranty.

george

• Like 2

Cheers George and sorry if I'm jumping in on your thread Lee by my comments.

My car is out of warranty and is serviced outside of the dealership so I will just go ahead and have it done, in fact it's booked in 23rd July. I wouldn't like to refuse the 'campaign' and then something go wrong and star arguing who stands the cost.

Harry

• Like 1

Well a bit more news.

Dad's been running my Passat and the Fabia while I've been away.

A couple of weeks ago he had an engine management light on the Fabia but the car continued to drive normally.

Took it into Skoda the next day and they reset the light and did the DSG Oil swap and software update.

A week later and he starts getting clutch judder in 1st and the occasional slow take up of drive.

Dealers confirmed it requires a new clutch pack and a few more parts as part of the replacing clutch pack kit.

Lee

• Like 1

Fair enough on the DSG, if thats all and it is not a Mechatronic Control Unit required,

the problem that has them doing the  'Service Campaign' on the DSG was 'Loss of Drive or Interruption to power'.

So what was their diagnosis on the 'EPC' light (Electronic Power Control) or the 'Control for Exhaust Management' light coming on, 'No fault codes registered'.  

Any action taken other than resetting the Light?

Any misfires or the likes?

As I was away I'm a bit in the dark. My Dad says he didn't notice anything different other than the light coming on and until I actually see him tomorrow I'm not exactly sure which light.

He's in his mid 70's and didn't ask for a reason for the light, they just told him they'd done a reset and changed the oil in the gearbox as part of a campaign.

I'm a bit confused as on the job card they gave him it states, Software Update and wiring loom as well as the other work? When I get the paperwork off him I'll have more of an idea.

Just a little concerning that a clutch pack has gone at 12k miles and just after they have carried out some work.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

What was the Wiring loom replacement,  was this the other Service Campaign item.  ?

I have read on this forum of 2 Citigo that required Looms for the Cooling fan and an ECU update with that, 

and one car required a new ECU. 

If only Skoda the Manufacturer were open on what cars require with Service Campaign Notices & had a VIN Checker on UK Skoda Websites.

• 1 year later...

Bump for a new member with DSG Issues,  Clutch Packs or some other fault.

this is just one of several threads on the forum on DQ200 Twin Dry Clutch 7 Speed DSG over the past 5 years.

A search will find you more.

& there are pinned threads in the General Chat Section of Briskoda.