Brakes

CitigoSport2013

hey fellow citigoers! :)

my citigo sport is 1 year and 4 months old nearly and im starting to notice some dodginess in my brakes, surely they cant be ready for new pads or discs at 18k miles???? its not as if ive been ragging it silly either anyone ekse have a similar aged car or noticed a sort of grinding sensation in the pedal/noise under braking especially at full lock?

Mines fine, but only done 11k in 22 months.

Pop the front wheels off and take a look at disc and pad wear, pay particular attention to the parts you can't see, the rear if all looks good front view of pad/disc.

I'm not sure how these things wear, new car/model and all that but I would expect at least 25k out of a set of pads/discs, but that's dependant on how you drive/brake of course.

I would hazard a guess without looking that it may be thr pads, however ive just jetwashed the arches and alloys and believe there has been a slight improvement. that been said if I drive along with the window down I can hear what sounds like the brakes catching or something, the sound speeds up as my speed goes up.....I think I may have a brake issue lol I have had the front wheel off and in my opinion they dont look too bad but I am no expert haha

Mines 14 months old and 13K now and my brakes aren't as good. The pads are fine and the discs have no wear edges either.

Sometimes a brake dust build up can cause all sorts of things. As said mine gets a good power wash of the arches and calipers and is good for a while.

Perhaps some dirt is trapped? I'm not an expert mind you, maybe get a look in-between the pad and disk with a flashlight? Or jack up the wheels and try some accelerating and braking and get a friend to take a look and see if anythings wrong? (If that's safe to do of course)

markyg thats exactly what mine is like at 18k I dont understand it, ive jetwashed the arches and calipers today and there is marginal improvement as in it doesnt feel as bad through the pedal under braking but im still concerned, im going to emley show in the morning and then taking it to a friends to jack it up and have a proper look see, thank you for the suggestions guys youve all been very helpful and its nice to know mine isnt the only one this happens to, perhaps a design flaw of some sort?

There are multiple reasons why the efficiency may have gone down. It could be that you are more accustomed to the car. It could also be the rear drum shoes have worn a little and not clicked over to the next self adjustment point? Its too early to think of a design flaw. I would imagine that the components are in use in hundreds of thousands of cars. If you are that woried I would get a brake efficiency report/investigation. if it is then wildly out you can then get the garage to do something about it.

My only thought would be, these days the brakes are untouched at the first service, well they are on the Citigo.

It would be a good idea to strip and up clean the pads/discs and lubricate the slider pins anually.

I service the brakes every year on my other car, and that only covers 2k miles a year at the most.

Of course you could have grit or something that has trapped and embedded itself into the pads. Lots of roads this summer around us have had the gritting treatment, a cheap skate way of resurfacing. I had a Nissan Primera and dreaded driving down newly gritted roads, it was prone for getting stuff stuck between disc and pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seem fine @ 12.7k. All stop start and heavy braking.

Though from the amount of brake dust on the alloys I'd say the pads are soft wearing.

I'd guess after the Action day in September they may need to be looked at.

After a year and about 16000 km mine is giving out the same sort of sound that you're descriping. Also, the amount of break dust on my front alloys is redeciuless :-|

Anyway, I had the garage look at it when I had the first service done and they found nothing wrong. Thinking about taking it back there for another look :-\

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk

Edited by HenrietteK

I'd imagine its the type of use they get, mostly stop start driving, lots of wear. For me I travel over 80 spend bumps a day so I use the brakes a lot.

Just clocked over 13k no noises or brake issues as I said above, I don't think I will get 60k+ out of them like I did in the fabia

For me 16,000 miles on them, they have a score mark and are slightly warped (no idea how ive done that, but its been my driving at some stage) but no noises at all.

any idea on the cost of new pads n discs?

Skoda told me some excuse about them not being due so would need to come from the factory at £106.64 (inc VAT) for 2x New discs and then £51.17 (inc Vat) for a box of Brake pads.

For me 16,000 miles on them, they have a score mark and are slightly warped (no idea how ive done that, but its been my driving at some stage) but no noises at all.

any idea on the cost of new pads n discs?

Skoda told me some excuse about them not being due so would need to come from the factory at £106.64 (inc VAT) for 2x New discs and then £51.17 (inc Vat) for a box of Brake pads.

I'd imagine £50 tops from ECP :)
  • Like 1

To be honest, I'd do them yourself, chances are the dealership will never know!

ECP is the cheapest and if you are a freedom member you should get a discount.........though only when they do not have a sale, which I think currently there is!

ECP is the cheapest and if you are a freedom member you should get a discount.........though only when they do not have a sale, which I think currently there is!

Up to 50% off, I've just serviced a mates Zafira for £42 all in

any ideas on the ECP Discount code?

Don't use it you'll get more off with their standard summer sale, iirc it's one discount or the other

quite right, i checked it and it said that it wasnt valid, im guessing due to the 50% summer sale.

• Like 2