A Couple of VAG Recalls

mac11irl

I dont know if these have been posted already, but given a VAG recall is rare - usually pretending its a characteristic of the vehicle...

Its probably only a matter of time before these filter across other VAG models / Marques -

A4 Airbag controllers-

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/audi-ireland-recalling-2740-cars-in-ireland-over-safety-concern-30690676.html

Polo 1.2 TDI fuel filter cases cracking

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/volkswagen-set-to-recall-1256-polo-tdi-vehicles-in-ireland-30690643.html

• Like 1

Some 'Citigo' had proper VOSA Recalls on Airbag Sensors since they are Safety Critical.

&

I do not think there are any Skoda in the UK with 1.2 TDI engines.  (EDIT< Sorry my bad, there are.)

but if the Fabia has these same,

then Skoda might never get around to acknowledging any issues,.

In the UK where VW / Skoda can convince VOSA / DfT, that Faults in Manufacturing are not 'Safety Critical

& a Service Campaign or 'Secret Service Campaign is enough,

then that is what they get away with..

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

Sssshhhh, do not tell everyone, VW has a great reliability reputation,

'Which' Owners Surveys says so.

http://dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls

*No VW Polo 1.2TDI 2010-2014 Recall in the UK.*

PS

I will post this in the Fabia MK2 Section incase any members ave this same 1.2 TDI engine.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am bumping this, and because i am aware that various 'Service Campaign' items that are on VW's / Skoda in the UK are not 

be done at Dealers & Owners are unaware of them.

Skoda UK really need to have a 'VIN Checker' on the Skoda UK Website, them maybe Briskoda Forum could have it Pinned.

Also a Briskoda Recall & Service Campaign Section where any outstanding could be Posted & Listed would be a useful service to members,

and just others that read this forum.

UK official Recalls appear here, or should where the system works,  and you should here from the Manufacturer when they get the Registered Keepers contact details from the DVLA.

http://dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls

finding VW / Skoda / Seat / Audi Service Campaign Information is hit or miss, even when you ask a Skoda Dealer Service Desk or 

Skoda UK Customer Services.

• Like 1

I can't help but thinking some of the responsibility must lie with VOSA (or DVSA or whatever they are now known as), I could be wrong but I get the impression they just don't have the balls (or the powers, or perhaps the desire) to be more strict with the manufacturers.

The DoT in the US are a force to be reckoned with, it doesn't seem to stop the manufacturers selling cars over there.

VOSA need to grow a pair.

• Like 2

Oh my god! Silver101, if ive reported 2 of your posts in 2 of my threads im really really sorry!!!!!!

Touchscreen on new phone keeps picking up my tap on the "back to....." as being on the report button!!!!!!!

Mods, sorry ignlre this report and one on venga thread nothing more than me being a muppet with fat thumbs...

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 2

Looked at the VOSA site - R/2014/143

FUEL MAY LEAK Description : On affected vehicles, the fuel filter may crack around inlet connection. This will allow fuel to leak which may cause a smell within the vehicle interior and possibly contaminate the road environment. This may affect the handling of the vehicle and of other traffic.. Remedial Action : Check type of filter fitted. If not of improved type then replace with improved filter. Vehicle Id : TMB***5J*B3006005 to TMB***5J*F5017672
TMB***5J*B3006005 to TMB***5J*F5017672
  • Like 1

If you want to feel really bad about everything, google the eu rapex site and do some looking. Its lists every recall of every pdoduct that ekther breaches regs, or has had a problem reported across the eu... mental.

• Like 2

The Volkswagen Group want to dominate the world in Car / Vehicle manufacturing.

Surely honesty would go a long way,

so they do not just need VIN Checkers on Websites to say contact a Dealer.

A Website covering the Manufacturers / Brands they control with a easily searchable form to show all their Products subject to Recalls 

or Service Campaigns in all World Regions.

With the likes of the World Wide Recall on the DQ200 DSG, which does not include recalling in Mainland Europe or UK 

they could at least do like Skoda NZ does and include the Information on Websites.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

They do plenty of Good News Stories, Sales Records Tumble etc, so surely they can admit to Faults in Design, Manufacturing, Parts Quality Control, or Service Schedules / Guideline issues.

If the percentage of Lemons they build is so low. 'Honesty is the best policy'.

Road Users Safety should come first.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

*Treat them like mushrooms,

only react proactively where a countries government or laws will squeeze us were it hurts,

in the pocket.*

That is unlikely to be in the UK where the Motoring Magazines worry to much about advertising income.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting bit on Watchdog today ( might have been an old one recycled) about VAG 2.0TFSI engines and oil consumption. Someone in states tool VAG to court and now VAG have taken responsibility for repair. Latest in UK is that VAG will consider each case on it's merits ,based on service history.

What you tend to find is if you release every detail of every recall to the public you create wide spread panic and damage the reputation of the brand.

Having worked for dealers most of my career i know how the recall system works.

Most recalls that are carried out are very minor,; a couple of software upgrades or part replacements that tend to be more of a preventative measure than the cure to a current issue.

With the exception of the recent fuel filter and DSG recalls where customers were actually informed via letter you tend to find they are only informed of work after its been carried out I.E in conjunction with a service.

The DQ200 DSG is a Service Campaign in the UK & Mainland Europe with only Registered Keepers on the Skoda,VW, Seat, Audi 

computer or dealers computers / books being contacted.

Not even all of them.

Same with the Heated Seat Elements.

So not a Recall, not cars REcalled, just a Manufacturer / Dealership calling some Registered Keepers.

Recalls should not require a Owner to be visiting a Main Dealership to have a Service before they find out.

Open Market in the EU, and the VWG are just taking the pith.

Cars on forecourts being offered for sale as Approved Used Cars do not always get 'Serviced' before being sold,

or have the TPI Service Campaign items identified and the Field Actions carried out.

Lax Employees sometimes, and sometimes its just a lack of care about Customer Services, and the Reputation of the Manufacturers are suffering.

This is a Skoda New Zealand Service Campaign, which has vehicles Recalled Properly,

and no Secret Service Campaign, it right there on the Web Site.

Skoda UK could follow this example.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

The difference with NZ and the UK is there are only 321 to do the Service Campaign on in NZ.

In the UK Skoda have still not contacted all Registered Keepers because they have no VOSA Recall so 

not received Registered Keeper Details from the DVLA.

They persuaded the DfT / VOSA that they would do a 'Manufacturers Recall.

So a Few Motoring Magazine Adverts and the General Media and job would be part done.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I've just come of the phone with vw customer services , I've replaced my ac compressor and a few other bits that require a change due to ac failure , I told him that they are aware of the issue with the ac compressors and egr failures but he said if you have not had the vehicle serviced with a stamp basically your stuffed ! But I asked wtf has the service stamp got to do with **** parts like the ac and egr and politely told him to do one !

The vw group are very laxed when it comes to recalls or as you've rightly reffered to them as "service campaigns" unless they are a serious safety issue.

They flag up every time you log onto elsapro and are highlighted with a triangular warning sign.

RRG who i work for are 100% on the mark with these campaigns. They are checked on every vehicle that has a work order created and work is carried out swiftly with little inconvenience to the customer, even sales cars are checked as soon as they are brought on to stock.

The dealer i worked at previously (different vw group brand) never checked for them or carried them out. I think the only time they did was when the customer received a letter or they could make decent money out of them.