Road Test & Reviews on the All New 3rd Generation Fabia, due in 2015

Better than a Polo.....Or A1. Apparently. I would have thought the back seat squabs would lift up so you got a flatter boot, like the Mk2 folding the seat backs down.

Contract HIre = Not Enamoured

AutoCar = Its OK- Starting to become expensive

Auto Express = Its OK- Inflated price tag 

HonestJohn = Liked the car.

CarMagazine = Its OK

So overall not going to win any new converts, will probably keep current customers if they can afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice in that colour combo, I might be biased though and I like the diamond pattern on the seat covers but don't like the fixed headrests, a bit too CityGo for me.

Everything seems well put together, not a giant leap up from mine in terms of style but it's basically a Polo underneath so no surprises there. I prefer function over form anyway, I hate fuss for fussy sake like the 208 or the button scattered Fiesta interiors.

The proof will be in the pudding when they're finally in the showrooms and you can have a drive of one and see what margins the salespeople have in terms of haggling/price paid.

I'd settle for a 1.2TSI 110 SE estate if the figures add up and it drives OK.

• Like 2

Just spec,d up a new SEL with usefull extras spare wheel privacy glass reversing sensers sport seats, comes in at just under £18.000

I only payed £7-8 hundred pounds more for my Blackline octy.

They are becoming to expensive,I could understand it if the engine range was on a par with vw audi or even the Rapid with its 1400cc offering but it ain't so it's no bargain anymore, I would look at a twelve month old polo 120 hp or a Audi A1 120 or 185bhp.

If you spec,d up the new Fabia to a similar spec to vw or audi, at 12 months old there ain't much difference.

• Like 2

Would save 6k and look at something like this with more room and well spec'd;

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604713224

Or £1500 aget get a lot of kit plus DSG;

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604696305#

TP

That first one seems a bit of a bargain. Is there anywhere to view the old Spaceback brochure? The GreenTech isn't in the new one.

This might explain why the Fabia has gone up in price for the new one, this is a paragraph from Parkers road test of the Audi TT;

"Shooting straight from the hip is the new chassis, which is derived from the same one that underpins everything from the new Skoda Fabia to the VW Golf (with Audi A3, Skoda Octavia and SEAT Leon sandwiched in-between). This ‘MQB’ platform is entirely modular, allowing for carte blanche alterations to dimensions and shared cost of common components."

See, the Fabia is really a 5 Door TT, not a bargain Supermini!

The All new 3rd Generation Fabia does not have a MQB platform though,

just 'elements from a MQB'.

Which means nothing because the All New 3rd Generation Fabia did not require new Type Approval because it is the same as a MK2 Fabia FL,

with some engine mounts and suspension points that are different.

Just as well maybe, since there appears to be issues with MQB Modular Platforms, 

that i do not really know what they are.

But there are issues.

Maybe just production, but then the VWG are never that good at coming forward when things go wrong.

Is it Quality Control yet again rearing its ugly head, or just Design Issues.

http://caradvice.com.au/300226/volkswagen-fires-production-chief-over-mqb-production-problems

Edited by goneoffSKi

Well I found the ergonomics of the MQB platform Octy III were rubbish, so I got rid after 6 months. Whereas our Spaceback has far more comfortable seating, the foot pedals are not not offset to the right and there's room to nicely rest both feet in cruise, not bad for a 57 platform :D

TP

Had a quick poke inside fabia today at the dealer here in Germany. Similar spec to the one in the video, also had dsg. Seems nice enough and had a full size spare wheel recess but it didn't have one fitted.

That is the EU for you.

They think TPMS should be standard, then in 2015 let manufacturers away with Front Fog Lights or a Spare Wheel Tyre being Options.

The Manufacturer then launches cars with statements like 'on average 60 kg lighter' than the previous model.

The Manufacturers then get to do their own EU Emission Testing taking a Basic Sample car with no Options off the Production Line,

even though its weight might be nothing like an actual car bought out of a UK Dealers,

Standard or with Options.

Lots of Kidology goes on.

Car Magazines and Road Testers should put the cars they test on the Scales before publishing their articles. IMO.