Fabia Vrs Dsg Advice.

Baz192

Hi just looking for some advice on my fabia vrs dsg box. It seems recently that it is racing to top gear and doesn't like to come back down gears am sometimes having to force it back down. Is this common? Had car over year

If its behaviour has changed then best have them check it again.

?

Is it Ingrams it was done at?

From Mid to late October the Petrol has a Winter Formulation, 

& if you are using 99 ron, you might be getting improved performance,

but then that would have happened last winter as well,

& the DSG should not perform any different.

?

Have you had the Spark Plugs changed.

I know the service interval is 40,000 miles but best check them.

Unfortunate.

Best call Skoda Customer Services & get a Case Handler,

tell them the DSG is playing up since the Service Campaign work.

If you can use another dealership, maybe consider doing that.

But probably it will need to be Ingrams that check it out.

Just be sure there is a Fully Qualified Master TEchnician to do it.

Possibly a Software Update,

maybe a new Mechatronic Control Unit is required.

Be sure to talk to Skoda UK Customer Services First, & get things in writing or record them.

They did the Service Campaign, and they are responsible.

So no matter the cars Warranty, the DSG is their Design or Manufacturing issue, and they can not blame 

the workshop / dealer.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Perhaps a quick fix. Disconnect the batter for 30 mins, this shall clear ECU's memory tables and theoretically DSG should be to square one, unless it has some sort of non-volatile memory storing your driving preferences and shift points. 

Then drive in manual shifting when you want. Do it for as long as you can but a week should be more than OK, guessing here I am afraid.

See if it worked - relatively hassle free way of perhaps achieving of what you are after. 

DSG "learns" driver's style and adapts. My one is absolutely perfect after two years (Nov 2012 CTHE not requiring DSG recall or ECU updates according to SKODA, and I enquired enough times LOL) and does exactly what  I want. The only inherent problem which all DSG boxes have is sluggishness engaging a gear after braking before a junction etc and then trying to go fast straight after releasing the brake pedal.

Form what I read it has something to do with a delay set in the system between the time you release the break pedal and the drive engaging back again. Oh, it sometimes gets confused in a really slow traffic, especially uphill, between 1st and 2nd gears, but is a very rare occurrence indeed. 

• Like 1

Great advice, but i have to disagree this time.

Maybe since a Skoda Dealership did the Service Campaign, and now there is an issue, leave it to be checked on the diagnostic and 

inspected and the Master Tech to road test it.

In New Zealand the Service Campaign was a proper one,

not a cheapo try and see how we get on attempt as done by VW in the UK.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Replacing a Mechatronic Control Unit is an expensive thing, and if out of Manufacturers Warranty 

something the owner needs to pay for, Parts & Labour.

But then VW know the issues with the Boxes they Built and fitted to the Engines,

& they extended Warranties in other World Regions.

If Mechatronic Control Units that have been in DQ200 DSG that they built and filled with Synthetic Oil 

go wrong even past the 3 year UK Warranty, it is their liability.

They know why they go wrong.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Jabozuma,

it is interesting which DQ200 DSG 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch as fitted to various cars,

& to all Twinchargers have had different oils in between 2009- 2014.

Your DSG was Built in 2012 most likely, for fitting to the New Build CTHE, and First Registered late 2012,

& must have Mineral Oil in,

yet 'sharkriders' is built later probably, supplied and first registered later & requires the Service Campaign Field Action 

to change Synthetic to Mineral & update the ECU.

There are owners of 2010-2011-2012 cars that were told they needed the DSG Oil Changed, and others that they do not.

Then 2012-2013 ones that do or do not.

So they know which DSG had which oil put in at the factory,

So did they Try out on Customers the Mineral oil like with your car, 

then revert to Synthetic.

& these later boxes are now known to need changed to Mineral!

I have no idea what the deal is, & VW do not seem to explain publicly.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

And they will never will I am afraid, not in their interest and they have motoring press in their pockets in Europe at least...

As for the problem in this thread, I am not saying do not go to SKODA and instead try fixing it yourself, not at all. I just know SKODA tech will tell you the same thing. Unless there is something wrong with it, which apart from reluctance to shift down was not described by OP then it will be a waste of time I am afraid. To avoid that (time is one thing nobody can make or buy unfortunately) the simple procedure  described might save the OP all the buggeration inherent in dealing with SKODA... Unless of course the dealership is at OP's door step :)

• Like 1

Sadly the Technicians looking at it might be the ones that fitted a New Engine for another members Twincharger several weeks ago (Months now)

and have no idea how to get the car running properly again and are relying on Trial & Error.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Jabozuma,

it is interesting which DQ200 DSG 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch as fitted to various cars,

& to all Twinchargers have had different oils in between 2009- 2014.

Your DSG was Built in 2012 most likely, for fitting to the New Build CTHE, and First Registered late 2012,

& must have Mineral Oil in,

yet 'sharkriders' is built later probably, supplied and first registered later & requires the Service Campaign Field Action 

to change Synthetic to Mineral & update the ECU.

There are owners of 2010-2011-2012 cars that were told they needed the DSG Oil Changed, and others that they do not.

Then 2012-2013 ones that do or do not.

So they know which DSG had which oil put in at the factory,

So did they Try out on Customers the Mineral oil like with your car, 

then revert to Synthetic.

& these later boxes are now known to need changed to Mineral!

I have no idea what the deal is, & VW do not seem to explain publicly.

george

mine was definatley built later, I can be sure, I didn't get stock, it was ordered and built for me in April 2013. and as you say, needed the oil change. I didn't have any issues after, I wathed them do it too, seemed a very simple thing... took them AGES to upload the new software though! longer than it took them to change the oil! lol...

• Like 1

It is good you say that,

because some Technicians seem to feel there is no need to Upload the Software.

It is something that some that feel their box is not right after the Service Campaign might need to check has been done.

& a Stamp or Note in the Service book & a Sticker in the Boot.

It is good you say that,

because some Technicians seem to feel there is no need to Upload the Software.

It is something that some that feel their box is not right after the Service Campaign might need to check has been done.

& a Stamp or Note in the Service book & a Sticker in the Boot.

I would assume the mineral oil obviously has different characteristics to the synthetic oil, so NEW perameters would be needed for the software, I wouldn't like to think I had software that thought it was using synthetic oil... all the safe temps ect might be exceeded!

• Like 1

Good point about temperatures, I have not though about that one really...

Synthetic oil was allegedly causing some electrolitic reaction within mechatronic unit screwing it up. Mineral oil is apparently immune from such an effect.

It must be some very special oil to be on par with a good synthetic one :)

There is no Advice being given to Owners on any change of Service Schedule since when anyone bought their car & the DQ200 had no Service Schedule.

So we must assume that the Mineral Oil is there for the Lifetime of the Box,

unless VW are paying for future Mineral Oil changes.

Good point about temperatures, I have not though about that one really...

Synthetic oil was allegedly causing some electrolitic reaction within mechatronic unit screwing it up. Mineral oil is apparently immune from such an effect.

It must be some very special oil to be on par with a good synthetic one :)

There is no Advice being given to Owners on any change of Service Schedule since when anyone bought their car & the DQ200 had no Service Schedule.

So we must assume that the Mineral Oil is there for the Lifetime of the Box,

unless VW are paying for future Mineral Oil changes.

mine was changed at 20k, which I quite like for longevity of box!

at 100k , I will change the oil again, (so this mineral oil will be in there for 80k, not too much time) AND change the clutch packs, just to keep ontop of things :) probably for upgraded versions, as when the warrenty has gone, and at 100k, I will also be looking at upgrading the turbo, as a premtive measure!

The point i am making is we can make these decisions as we like,  because we are giving it thought.

But the Manufacturer needs to actually tell owners of cars that the manufacturer has found required a Service Campaign 

if there are now changed Service Requirements,

due to the use now of Mineral oil.

Previously there was no Guidelines to change oil,

so now is there a service schedule.?