pre new-ish car jitters!

vigyaz

So I sorted my insurance,loan and v5 rdy to buy our new fabia vrs on Friday! Now my old-man throws a spanner in the works and begins echoing the daunting tales of engine issues related to the 1.4tsi engines, now he's got me worrying am I about to buy a car that is destined to die horribly?

It's a 60 plate fabia vrs, CAVE era if.I'm right? I spoke to dealer and no history of this car having oil issues, but that depends if anyone's been checking it I guess? It has a full service history with skoda and 40k.miles.

Any advice appreceated

Paul.

If it's covered by a warranty against engine work if it drinks oil there shouldn't be any issues should there?

I'm guessing it's cheap for a car of it's age/power anyway as these depreciate a lot.

So you shouldn't take that much of a hit if you sell in on when the warranty runs out anyway.

Edited by BossFox
  • Like 1

Aye, drinking oil doesn't bother me too much as it's pretty normal for these cars from what I've heard, it's the other stories of failing engines that scare me, although I spoke to progress skoda Northampton earlier and they mentioned that engine failures are rare and usually only happen as.a.result.of people not looking after the car/oil level.

Car is costing £7500, I got £3k px. For mine so not bad I guess?

Aye, drinking oil doesn't bother me too much as it's pretty normal for these cars from what I've heard, it's the other stories of failing engines that scare me, although I spoke to progress skoda Northampton earlier and they mentioned that engine failures are rare and usually only happen as.a.result.of people not looking after the car/oil level.

Car is costing £7500, I got £3k px. For mine so not bad I guess?

They would say that though, they want you to finish the deal. As BossFox says if there are issues you've still got the warranty and shouldn't lose much if you want to sell once out of warranty

Do I still have warranty? I know I got 3months with the garage I'm buying from but the normal warranty is up surely?

It's a Nissan garage I'm buying from not a skoda one btw, I just rang the skoda one because I've used them plenty before.

Do I still have warranty? I know I got 3months with the garage I'm buying from but the normal warranty is up surely?

It's a Nissan garage I'm buying from not a skoda one btw, I just rang the skoda one because I've used them plenty before.

How old is it?

Personally i would only be buying if you can buy a 'Skoda Approved Used Warranty'   2 years under £550 from a Skoda Dealer 

or Skoda UK and it is Covered by Car Care Plan ltd.

So if the Service History is up to date and the Service Campaign Work is done

then you should be able to buy this and have piece of mind on the Engine & DSG which is the main points to Consider.

• Like 1

vigyas,

No.

The Breather Pipe / Valve mod was usually only done where some owner complained about High Oil Use, 

and it had an Oil Consumption Test done & the Breather Pipe / Valve Mod.

Those might be worth Avoiding unless then a New Engine was fitted.  IMHO.

The Service Campaign is on the DSG.

Since May 2014 on some cars.

You need to check if it was due the work, and had it done, 

not compulsory, but it would be to get an Extended Warranty.

The DSG Service Campaign work is not only on the vRS.

it is on the cars with a DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG fitted to various VWG cars.

The Mechatronic Control Unit should be checked,

the none service Synthetic Oil changed for Mineral and a ECU Update done.

& a Sticker in the Boot.

Free Gratis at Skoda's expense.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I would say buy it.

but,

Only with the Security of a Skoda Approved Extended Warranty.

£399 1 year or £547 for 2 years.

Otherwise it is a £7,000 Gamble.  

That is what the Replacement Engine change costs, £4,500 & £2,500 on a DSG.

Did Skoda UK CS say,

no Warranty History & Full Service History.?   Then that is good, buy a Warranty if you want the car.  Safest to.

Get the Dealer Selling to give you a cheaper price maybe,

tell them the low down, they might need to cut the price to get you as a buyer, or anyone else.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Do not buy anyone elses.

The 3 month one is only good if you can return the car if faulty.

It will not pay for a New Engine.

A member is having that battle right now.

So a 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty on a car Under 6 years old & under 60,000 miles i think it is'.

Car is not Faulty when purchased so the Warranty should cover.

If the car was Faulty when purchased, then the Selling Dealers Warranty should cover that,

it would need a New Engine, not some cheep repair, so they would need to take it back.

Probably fine,

1,800 CAVE sold in the UK,

& 7 out of 10 must be OK if only 3 in 10 are wrong.  but the thing is the Smiles for Miles is worth it.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

If you're looking at changing have you considered a Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI?

You may not get a DSG but the 1.2 TSI is meant to be a cracker and no real issues so far (apart from some early ones needing a shim fitting to the turbo).

You would probably get a newer car with fewer miles too.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

I think I'm making the right decision, weight lifted if I'm cancelling the loan I think. Already put a deposit down tho so £200 lost probably. To be expected though for wasting time.

What are you worried about exactly? Engine failure? Gearbox failure? The very small statistical chance of that happening is not exclusive to VAG. If you have a FSDH, and get the work continued initially by the same dealer which goes a long way to "warranty sympathy". buying an extended manufacturers warranty, also from the dealer you intend to get the car serviced with will also help. If your engine dies as a result of oil starvation you'll not get the warranty on a brand new car just out of the showroom to cover the repairs - it's up to the owner to keep it topped up in order to retain the cover. 

If you like the car, if the price is OK, and it has a history then I'd buy it. Most thing in life involve an element f chance, why worry about it? Sounds though as you can't answer yes to the first couple of questions.

Guest BigJase88

There are 2 people in my small town with the 1.4tsi in ibiza cupra guise (same essentially as a fabia)

Both have had new engines and one has had a new dsg gearbox.

Dont get me wrong the car's on paper make sense

Auto

Rapid 0-60mpg

Great mpg

Low tax

But in reality the power and transmission plant is a proper gamble.