Radio 4 feature - Audi tfsi engines

Wakey

From 10 minutes on the link.

They will no doubt pick up on the fact once more listeners contact that it is not just Audi and it is Volkswagen Group Euro 5 emission engines of various types.

Rather a lot of differing TSI & TFSI's  1.4 - 2 litre.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

From 10 minutes on the link.

They will no doubt pick up on the fact once more listeners contact that it is not just Audi and it is Volkswagen Group Euro 5 emission engines of various types.

Rather a lot of differing TSI & TFSI's 1.4 - 2 litre.

Sure i read something about the 4.2 v8's suffering too.

Thats quite a lot different aha.

Sure i read something about the 4.2 v8's suffering too.

Thats quite a lot different aha.

Yep , there are more VAG engines with issues than without , timing chains , burnt valves , oil pump failures , oil use , porous heads , flaky injectors , you name it

• Like 1

Interesting listening to the You and Yours report concerning the 2.0 litre TFSI. A few comments worth repeating here: -

Owners in the UK with oil consumption issues receiving widely varying treatment from Audi.

Audi state that up to 0.5 litre oil consumption per 620 miles is considered acceptable.

Owners are finding that oil consumption can get worse as the car approaches 5 years old.

Some are experiencing very high consumption (1 litre per 300 miles).

Owners in the US brought a court action against Audi.

Audi agreed a settlement whereby effected cars would be repaired and warranties extended to 8 years.

Audi avoided having to admit in court that there was a design fault with their engines.

Subsequently they have said that piston ring geometry has now been changed requiring a small modification to the piston.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, the Audi dealers are now handling this as well as can be done, ie work done FOC up to 5 years old, initially they all seemed to be taking individual dealer approaches, now it seems that they all will do the work FOC with Audi UK picking up the tab. None of this is completely good as these engines should not have failed so in the end you get a car sorted, but would you buy another one? Also word of mouth is a very powerful thing!

Edited by rum4mo

They do nothing Free of Charge,  Audi is part of the Volkswagen Group and the Dealers are paid to do work 

by which ever system the VWG like to be doing it.

the VWG Customer Services of Seat, Skoda, VW & Audi have messed owners around for years now where there are 

Design, Manufacturing and Quality Control issues,

making customers jump through hoops in World Regions where they get away with treating each failure as though it is a one off.

Chickens coming home to roost finally and hopefully, 

because they have treated paying customers like mumpties for a long time now.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Volkswagen have been building engines that fail, and supplying replacements that fail again,

and the thing they do not do is communicate with the Buyers / Owners of the vehicles and admit to the failures 

of Volkswagen.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

Once they spend money tough luck unless they complain enough and cause a stink.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I've made the point before but it's not just vag . Mazda with the rx8 and mazda 6 petrols and diesels, BMW with their liners , Mitsubishi with the evo 10 rod failures and auto box failures, 06 Nissan 350z use buckets of oil as well, Mercedes corrosion issues, Porsche have bore issues as well on the Cayman , these are just the ones I can think of , manufacturers just take the mick with consumers and have done for many years

• Like 1

Basically yes, the bigger problem is with the 1.4 TSI /TFSI is the 180-185 ps Twinchargers,

and also has been the 170ps ones.  Only some of them, but in the CAVE/ CAD engine  that might be greater now than 20% of them that suffered problems.

the 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers with 160 & 150 ps did not have many engines with issues other than any engines might have,  and the 1.4 TSI / TFSI Turbo or ACT/COD engines 120,140,150 ps are similar to that, just the small percentage that might have issues as with any engines..

Edited by goneoffSKi

the more I read the more I think I made the right decision to jump VAG ship and move to Hyundai (time will tell, I know they have clutch issues at times)

I was looking at replacing my GLII with a fabia 3 SE 90, using a TSi engine it seems to me looking around the entire TSi range has a design flaw in the piston / rings area, just the higher power engines seem to show it up quicker

Edited by bluecar1

Hum, I'm also in the market for a VW with a small TFSI engine, a worrying time, do I feel lucky? Stay with rusty Polo with 1.4 BBY engine, or finally face the future?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone who has personal, detailed, documented experience of excessive oil consumption on a Mk II Skoda Fabia vRS contacted the BBC Radio 4 You & Yours programme about this February 13th item yet (LINK)?

If not, it might be worth doing so using this LINK.  It is certainly more likely to achieve a result than endless boring repetition and incomprehensible ranting on Briskoda.net ;)

The references to the class action in the USA, the changes to the piston / ring, the age of the cars affected and Audi's willingness to remedy faults on older cars are particularly interesting.

• Like 1

Great Idea.

People that had and still have issues should take actions themselves to get it out there to a wider public.

?  

Have you written up that post to be 'pinned' yet from your knowledge of the Engine Failures and the Successes with attempts at quick fixes and misimformation that the Volkswagen Group have had in resolving the failures since 2009 on the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Twincharger CAVE / CAD / CTHE engines ?

as fitted to the Seat Ibiza, Skoda Fabia, VW Polo & Audi A1.  from 2009 - 2014.

Edited by goneoffSKi

?

How are we getting on with Briskoda Members undergoing Oil Consumption Tests,  Breather & Breather Valve Modifications, 

Software Updates, Oil Squirter Modifications, & the fitting of the latest improved engines.

Also the DQ200 DSG Service Campaign & MCU & Clutch Pack Failures.?

Anyone had a New Engine or Gearbox Recently or ones not already posted in this thread?

cheers.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Interesting listening to the You and Yours report concerning the 2.0 litre TFSI. A few comments worth repeating here: -

Owners in the UK with oil consumption issues receiving widely varying treatment from Audi.

Audi state that up to 0.5 litre oil consumption per 620 miles is considered acceptable.

Owners are finding that oil consumption can get worse as the car approaches 5 years old.

Some are experiencing very high consumption (1 litre per 300 miles).

Owners in the US brought a court action against Audi.

Audi agreed a settlement whereby effected cars would be repaired and warranties extended to 8 years.

Audi avoided having to admit in court that there was a design fault with their engines.

Subsequently they have said that piston ring geometry has now been changed requiring a small modification to the piston.

Sounds so familiar ,I wonder where I've read/heard this before.

PAY-OFFS,REPLACEMENT VEHICLES,Customers having to sign confidentiality agreements etc.Warranty replacement Customer Service Campaign,trial fixes but never, ever a recall!!

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Bumped:

Has anyone who has personal, detailed, documented experience of excessive oil consumption on a Mk II Skoda Fabia vRS contacted the five weeks old BBC Radio 4 You & Yours programme about this yet (LINK)?

If not, it might be worth doing so using this LINK.

The references to the class action in the USA, the changes to the piston / ring, the age of the cars affected and Audi's willingness to remedy faults on older cars are particularly interesting.

• Like 1