Audi oil consumption lawsuit

nice read about oil consumption across the VAG group also the fix they seem to be doing on the audi engines differers to that of the 1.4 TFSI

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/audi-oil-consumption-lawsuit.shtml

"Under the settlement agreement, current owners or lessees who have not already paid to have repairs made will be entitled to a replacement of the crankcase pressure regulating valve, front crankshaft seal and front crankshaft bolt. Additionally, the engine control module software will be updated to match the new part(s).

The agreement also gives owners and lessees an extended warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles to 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) to cover any repair needed to correct excessive engine oil consumption."

• Like 1

That is about the 2.0 TFSI.  & the USA, where the Volkswagen Group and others get legal actions taken.

& they are crapping themselves. Like happens in Canada as well.

In Europe (UK) they get away with what they have done for decades and admit nothing,

but just if the customer persists they replace the engine, pay compensation, buy back the car,

you often have to jump through hoops though, and Skoda Owners have done better often than VW & Audi Twincharger Owners,

but they really try to keep it out of courts in England , Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

They won a case in Australia, and that was just pathetic how they got away with it.

Hopefully soon there will be more on the 1.4TSI / TFSI Twinchargers 132-136KW and the failures with them from 

2009-2012,  then still with some of the Revised engines 2012-2014 that are in the Audi A1 185 PS 2011 on,  

VW Polo GTI 2010-2014,  Skoda vRS Mk2 2010-2014 & Seat Ibiza Cupra 2009-2015.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 3

Good find and an interesting read.  However, it does refer to the 2 litre turbocharged engine used in three Audi models so not really "across the VAG group".  The the lawsuit was in the USA and I somehow doubt that Skoda will be offering either replacement engines or extended warranties any time soon.  I found this comment interesting and although I am impressed, I can't understand why Audi folded:

Although Audi agreed to settle the case, the judge said the automaker raised important defenses, including:

• All cars use oil and any actual oil consumption issues have been disclosed in the vehicles’ owner’s manuals.
  • The engine warning light comes on in advance to warn the oil is running low, so plaintiffs would have a tough time showing the alleged defect is a safety issue.
  • Oil consumption is a maintenance issue, therefore plaintiffs cannot establish an actionable defect exists.

Very odd.

Sorry, 

but Skoda already do fit Replacement Engines where faulty, in and out of the Original Warranty,

and extend warranties, and do other deals,

as VW, Audi & Seat have had to.

Now they just need to be doing it in a more consistent way to any customer that owns one of their engines which has manufacturing, 

component and engine management issues.

• Like 1

It did mean you actually.

I dare say.

Like so much of your relentless, obsessive, biased campaign against VW, your "facts" are incomplete.

The Australian coroner who investigated the case on which your linked video was based concluded that there was nothing wrong with the VW Polo and suggested that the fatal crash might have been connected with the driver being on a mobile 'phone call.

I can quite understand that you wouldn't bother either to mention this or the fact that VW initiated a "hush-hush" campaign to change the oil in some DSG boxes and update the ECU code - about 2.6 million vehicles! Likewise, you seem reluctant to point readers of this forum to the site that will allow them to check whether their car needs this non-critical work.

I have no doubt that you know a great deal about cars in general and VAG cars in particular and that many people have benefited from some of your advice - certainly it saved me from buying a vRS money pit ;)

Perhaps if you stopped dressing up your unsubstantiated prejudices as "facts" and ended your pointless one-man campaign against the wickedness of VAG one could take your advice seriously.

Questioning unsubstantiated nonsense seems a reasonable forum service to me. If you then choose to swallow the rubbish you are served up, so be it.

ps - it is the invalid points I am questioning ;)

Edited by vxh26

Not a one man campaign though.

Lots of Facebook Groups & Websites that will reveal how they operate.

Plenty are out here like me doing the Social Media thing for free while VW spend Millions world wide on spin,

or just have people like you that will defend the indefensible.

http://rustingvolkswagen.co.uk

vxh26,

Can you please link the VIN Checker for Skoda & VW in the UK so that owners can be aware of any Service Campaigns or Recalls.

There is the UK Recall site run by the VOSA/ DVLA, 

but Manufacturers Service campaigns will not show here.

http://dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls

There are outstanding Recalls on some Mk2 Fabia, and other Skoda.

The Registered Keeper or Owners might have not actually heard from Skoda /VW on these,

or had a Vehicle at a Dealership and not yet been told of the Recall,

or other Service Campaigns, so those Owners & Drivers really need to check if any REcalls or Service Campaigns are Running.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

it is the invalid points I am questioning ;)

But who's saying they are invalid?

You?

So I should ignore points/opinions from other members just because you think they are invalid?

So are you saying that myself/other members are unable to make there own conclusions from what they read?

Look, we all have opinions. People can read everyone's and make their own conclusions.

You can't just rubbish what someone else says just because you don't believe it to be valid.

They are called discussion boards for a reason. :thumbup:

• Like 1

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall

Some parts of the UK and Mainland Europe have very similar Weather conditions to New Zealand,

and the same vehicles with the same parts & fluids from the same Plants.

But then more vehicles sold, and different Service Campaigns & Field Actions.  

(Drivers maybe on a Mobile Phone.to Blame for MCU Failures.)

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Maybe vxh26 can join this group.

http://facebook.com/DSGUkGroup

Edited by goneoffSKi

A dsg recall must mean that there is a fault and that it has been identified and resolved ?

I think its a case of rose tinted glasses if anyone thinks VAG is any different to any of the other manufacturers though

My 3 year old £43k Mercedes NOT covered under warranty but goodwill !

6865_zpsce8f7529.jpg

6867_zps1054d087.jpg

Sometimes 'World Wide' seems to get lost in translation with the likes of the DSG Recall,

or it is just that the DfT /VOSA expect that Manufacturers selling vehicles into the UK will do things by Service Campaigns,

notifying Registered Keepers that they have contact for, 

and be sure any issues are addressed.

http://dw.de/vw-recalls-a-million-cars-worldwide/a-18002275

I have a friend who has just bought a 2010 plate vrs estate with 40 odd thousand on and although he was warned about the engines he bought anyway it looks as it has a thirst for the black stuff . He is now checking if it has had breather mod ect fitted I told him to check regarding service campaigns but he is only 21 . I have bought and sold many cars in my life and this is the only one that seems to be a complete lottery to what you get . How can you possibly check if the car is using a lot or a little when buying private or a dealer its not like they will lend it to you for a month to check it out. What is aceptable to most people may be different as most cars i have had previously have not used any or very little . This is not a negative post in any way I love my car and it uses a little oil which is no problem for me but when you read all the replacement engines  or people putting loads in every month it seems there will be a load of 2010 -2012 caves that will be worth nothing because of the lottery factor . But when you speak to people if they have never heard of briskoda or troll through forums would not have a clue thinking what a bargain 180 ps, dsg ect ect but could be looking at thick end of 3 grand for independand garage to fix now most are out of warranty.

• Like 1

well ,the question is WHAT TO FIX, isn't it? Nobody really knows what is causing the oil consumption... many fixes were treid, some worked some didn't and the latest (piston oil cooler nozzles) looks the most promising.

Giving a car to an independent is completely pointless since even Skoda dosen't know (wouldn't admit) what is wrong lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

bump, for those talking Class Actions and Law Suits.

Maybe just use the UK Law.

That may be different in England / Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

If in Scotland you might find a Court that will be less than impressed with the Actions of the Parent Company 

Volkswagen Group and the treatment of customers with a problem of the Manufacturers making that VWG have tried to brush under the carpet.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

A Civil Case against a Volkswagen Group Manufacturer, VW them selves or Skoda, Seat or Audi will shake them up.

Maybe CAB getting Trading Standards involved can have a Case Raised in a UK Court.

But then Volkswagen Group do not want to be in court with Expert Motor Engineer Examination Reports,

which is why the do Deals & Goodwill Gestures and accept no liability out of Court.

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 3 weeks later...

If you are having High Oil Consumption Issues or Engine Failure or past Experience of it with your Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat engine,

maybe contact BBC Watchdog on Monday so they have heard from you before their programme this week on the Audi 2.0 TFSI Engines issue.

• Like 2