Monte Carlo 1.2tsi 105 engine issues, what year effected?

Hello,

I've put down a deposit on a 13 plate monte 1.2 tsi (105bhp), I'm dude to travel down south to collect and pay balance this weekend. Just googled 1.2 tsi engine problems and found a lot about vag engine in 1.2 favour with a cam chain seem to be the ones that were "silently recalled". Some suggestion that modern vag engines with a belt in 1.2 tsi aren't effected. but I can't find out if the monte 13 plate vintage is the newer vag belt or the older vag chain type engine? Or did they iron out the offending engines prior to 2013, are engines produced since fine? Plus how many valves and cylinders should it have, again some suggestion of 8v but also 16v, please help. Thanks

I Had a 1.2 tsi monte 105ps from new 13 plate march 2013 did 21k miles in 18 months had no issues with the engine at all, no noises no oil usage nothing, and mine was a chain.

The 1.2 TSI engine in the Fabia is just an 8v head, the one in the Leon, Octavia and Golf has 16v all with 4 cylinders.

All early 1.2 TSI's were 8v, the 16v engine is a totally new design which appeared in 2013 and for Skoda anyway was introduced with the Octy III.

To answer the OP's question, then just about every glitch with the 8v TSI had been resolved by November 2012 with a number of design updates. As long as you service the car regularly you shouldn't have any issues, although I would opt for a time and distance rather than variable regime.

TP

Skoda issued TPI (technical product information) 2026513/5 dated 01-Oct-2012 for this engine on the issue of 'rattling noises from front of vehicle/engine compartment when starting engine'. This was to do with the timing chain lengthening due to wear resulting in the timing chain jumping off with resulting contact between valves and pistons. An optimised timing chain with modified chain clips was introduced from engine number CBZ* 462774 (Mlada Boleslav) and CBZ* 714253 (Salzgitter. The engine number is on a barcoded sticker on the boost pressure pipe (top right of engine viewed from the front). The engine production plant is indicated by the letter M (Mlada) or S (Saltzgitter) on the RHS of the sticker.

An optimised chain guard is also mentioned in the TPI. I believe that this was designed to stop the chain jumping off.

If you would like more information on the 1.2TSI engine design then download the Self Study Programme in the link below.

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/467/Audi_Self_Study_Programme_485_-_1.2l_TFSI_engine.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks dgw, so if my engine number is below either if those 2 numbers u have provided then i need to get the chain looked at / replaced?

Only if a significant rattle is evident on startup. But if one is - and hopefully that is extremely unlikely given the age of the car you are buying - could you not cancel the purchase?

I probably could but would risk loosing my deposite, plus if it can be sorted under the 1 year remaining warranty I would commit to the sale.

Ring the seller and ask for the engine number which is on the V5C. You may be able to work out whether it is one of the affected ones without needing to know where it was built.

The engine data sticker is no longer on the boost pipe, its moved to the intercooler cover on the back of the engine.

If its of help our two Malda TSI's have engine numbers starting as follows;

Manufacture date - November 2012 - CBZ*C7****

Manufacture date - March 2014 - CBZ*F8****

TP

Mine is there too, notwithstanding what the official workshop information says. I had to use a camera to take a photo of the sticker to be able to read it clearly. The Mlada-built engine was manufactured on 09-01-15 and its number is CBZ J42 206.

So are these current engines 8v or 16v,  and are they chain or belt?  I know they are changing the engines in a couple of months time,  but I'm curious to know what is under the bonnet of my new 1.2TSi DSG Yeti. The car must have been built around week 12 (I was told week 14, but it's arrived early...should get it next week or the week after).  The self study programme only mentions 8valves with a chain.

Only the Octavia III and Fabia III currently have the newer 1.2 TSI 16v engine design. When Skoda switch the whole range to euro VI compliant engines later this year, then the 8v engine will be withdrawn.

Oh forgot to say the 8v has a cam chain, whereas the 16v is belt.

TP

Thanks for all who have responded, bought my wife the fabia Monte Carlo 13plate 1.2 tsi 105 bhp yesterday, it's one effected by the chain issue based on engine number.

Its only done 9.6k miles. A few extras; two tone seats, scratch protection inside and out, sain protector on seat, mud flaps wind stoppers on windows, flow exhaust, cruise control, sat nav Amundsen +, blue tooth connection, maxi dot mfd but can't seem to load it / find it on the menu mfd???

Enjoy the car.

Is it Bought from a Skoda Dealership & a 'Skoda Approved Used Car'.

Have you checked and has it required any Warranty Work or Service Campaign Work up to now?

If you can maybe post up some pics of the Flow Exhaust tail pipe please.

Sorry I meant to say I DO NOT think it is one of those effected, based on the engine number. I'm going to take it to a local skoda dealer to double check. The engine doesn't make any rattling noises at start up from cold tho. I bought if from a private dealer. It still has 1 yr manufacturing warranty. I haven't check its warrenty history, nothing in the log book.

The Skoda Dealership will have any work done in the VWG Official Workshops on the Computer or should have.

A Dealership should tell you or Skoda UK Customer Services can on Tuesday.

Is the car on Variable or Fixed / Annual servicing,

and has it had 2 Services now, Minor & Major Services?

Ok so I dont seem to know how to post u a pic of the power flow exhaust??? The private dealer give it its 2nd service, not skoda. Not on any service plan.

• 1 year later...

Skoda issued TPI (technical product information) 2026513/5 dated 01-Oct-2012 for this engine on the issue of 'rattling noises from front of vehicle/engine compartment when starting engine'. This was to do with the timing chain lengthening due to wear resulting in the timing chain jumping off with resulting contact between valves and pistons. An optimised timing chain with modified chain clips was introduced from engine number CBZ* 462774 (Mlada Boleslav) and CBZ* 714253 (Salzgitter. The engine number is on a barcoded sticker on the boost pressure pipe (top right of engine viewed from the front). The engine production plant is indicated by the letter M (Mlada) or S (Saltzgitter) on the RHS of the sticker.

An optimised chain guard is also mentioned in the TPI. I believe that this was designed to stop the chain jumping off.

If you would like more information on the 1.2TSI engine design then download the Self Study Programme in the link below.

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/467/Audi_Self_Study_Programme_485_-_1.2l_TFSI_engine.pdf

Hi, sorry to dig this post up again but I am in the process of buying an October 2012 Fabia MC 1.2 TSI with the engine code of CBZAC31190 and can't work out from the post where it was manufactured or if its affected by the 'stretch' issue - can someone help please?

Best wishes,

John

I would guess from the engine number alone that it was built in Mlada Boleslav and is one of those affected. Is there a Skoda dealer near you who you could ask to confirm that?

• 1 year later...

Can someone help me out too please. I'm currently in the process of possibly buying a 2013 fabia monte carlo. The engine situation really freaked me out, I checked ad it's Mlada made with an engine number of CBZ D86101. Would it have the problem? Thank you for any help.