Suzuki Vitara (New model) and S Cross Thread

Probably everything that can be said has already been done in the S Cross thread. But as It is parked in the Yeti forum, I figured we could start a fresh one here and leave the Skoda chaps alone.

So to kick off. I have ordered a new Suzuki Vitara Diesel Allgrip. Got a good deal and a free upgrade Rugged pack (cosmetic tweak). It's basically a slightly shrunk and differently styled S-Cross. Great value for money (possibly best in class in that respect) but not as expensive feeling in the plastics used as the class leaders.

Currently there is a 1.6 petrol manual

1.6 petrol 6 speed Auto (not sure if it is on sale at launch)

1.6 diesel manual

3 trim levels     SZ4, SZ-T and SZ5

Allgrip 4x4 only available on both petrol and diesel SZ5 models

Twin colour paint available (eg Orange body/Black roof etc)

Bags of kit on all models, although as is the way with Suzuki, options are mainly cosmetic tweaks and most are dealer fit.

• Like 1

The lack of factory fit options can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view.
On one hand it greatly reduces the lead time for your new car, but on the other it can force you to go up to the next trim level just to get a couple of minor bits and pieces that you want.

The lack of factory fit options can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view.

On one hand it greatly reduces the lead time for your new car, but on the other it can force you to go up to the next trim level just to get a couple of minor bits and pieces that you want.

you are not wrong :) I could do without the Radar stuff and even the panoramic sunroof (although I do like it) I just wanted the 4x4, Xenons/LED Diesel, manual, and Climate control. Everything else is a bonus or an expense depending how you look at it.

just been down to see Mike (great Salesman if anyone goes to the Stockport Suzy dealership) to check on a couple of things. Yes it does come with privacy glass :( and no it does not come with heated seats :(:( If you look on the pictures on the web it does, but apparently we don't get them and they are not an option :( Still the car has alcantara style inserts, so they should be too cold :)

On a more positive note, I mentioned I wish I had gone for the two tone metallic grey and black roof before Mike had ordered the car. He said no problem, he would keep my order for stock and re-order me one with the two tone paint! Fantastic. Not quite sure how we will sort out the finance as it's ben prop'd, but were there's a will.......

Very happy so far (apart from the heated seats). Suzy Dealerships always seem so friendly to do business with.

I've been trawling countless Europe on sites looking at Vitara vids. There are the odd one or two with English subtitles and a couple with Computerised voices narrating. It's a shame I hate that electric turquoise blue colour. It's grown on me slightly because it's nearly always the one that is reviewed.

There is one where several different colour combos go for a cross country drive. If I ever find it again I'll post it up.

Amanda :)

I have watched all there are on Youtube from the moment any appeared.

At the end of a video i then make sure to watch those that show, and on. and on.

My 'Watch later' list gets incredibly long when I go hunting :D I now just search for the last 24 hours to see if anything new has been thrown up. Doesn't really matter now I suppose, as I have put a deposit down on one :D

• Like 1

Here's the vid with lots of colour combos. The grey with the black roof is the one I have ordered. The Orange one with the white roof has the rugged pack fitted.

Good choice, Galactic Grey with black roof is the only two tone version I like. As a rule (from the videos and photos) the separately coloured roof makes the car look lower and more squashed in the top half to me. I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen one.

My Suzukis have always been reliable but I've got a few early production issues with my S-Cross, hope your Vitara is a good one Amanda. Nothing affecting the reliability but a bit annoying when I stop and consider it. The Yeti has been on sale for a few years now and many of the issues seem to affect the earlier cars (paint, gearbox, cam chain etc). Given that I'll have the S-Cross for another year or two I should be ok if I go for another Yeti or Vitara.

• Like 1

Good choice, Galactic Grey with black roof is the only two tone version I like. As a rule (from the videos and photos) the separately coloured roof makes the car look lower and more squashed in the top half to me. I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen one.

My Suzukis have always been reliable but I've got a few early production issues with my S-Cross, hope your Vitara is a good one Amanda. Nothing affecting the reliability but a bit annoying when I stop and consider it. The Yeti has been on sale for a few years now and many of the issues seem to affect the earlier cars (paint, gearbox, cam chain etc). Given that I'll have the S-Cross for another year or two I should be ok if I go for another Yeti or Vitara.

Agree the black roof lowers the look, probably why so many Range Rover products do it.

I'm hoping the mechanicals will be trouble free as they have been tried and tested in the S Cross. I am not convinced about the Radar cruise and such like, it's a big car feature for toy car prices, if you see what I mean. Hopefully the warranty will be solid and they will fix any problems I get, assuming I get any. Actually the only new car I ever owned that didn't have an issue was my Clio 16V bought back in the early 90s. My Merc was trouble free except for an issue with the electric seats caused by my umbrella being dislodged during a service and jamming itself under the seat. it pulled the seat wiring apart a little! All fixed free of charge of course and not really the cars fault.

Anything I should look for? assuming the two car's DNA is really as similar as it appears. 

Agree the black roof lowers the look, probably why so many Range Rover products do it.

I'm hoping the mechanicals will be trouble free as they have been tried and tested in the S Cross. I am not convinced about the Radar cruise and such like, it's a big car feature for toy car prices, if you see what I mean. Hopefully the warranty will be solid and they will fix any problems I get, assuming I get any. Actually the only new car I ever owned that didn't have an issue was my Clio 16V bought back in the early 90s. My Merc was trouble free except for an issue with the electric seats caused by my umbrella being dislodged during a service and jamming itself under the seat. it pulled the seat wiring apart a little! All fixed free of charge of course and not really the cars fault.

Anything I should look for? assuming the two car's DNA is really as similar as it appears. 

Well, I would think the mechanicals should be trouble free, mine have been except perhaps an occasionally obstructive gear change in cold weather and what feels like a very slight clutch judder, just for the first couple of changes. I believe that this is because Suzuki have used a low friction gearbox oil (to help reduce co2); Toyota had a similar problem a few years back. This last week the gearbox has been fine, but then the weather has been warmer. Suzuki have checked it and declared it fault free anyway.

The issues I have had are all build/fit/finish related. They are not significant enough for me to want to take the car in and in fairness are no greater in number than I had with the Yeti, but they are disappointing:

Headlining does not fit under the seal at the rear of the roof and so the edge of the trim looks untidy; The passenger front door panel pressing is slightly out and makes the panel fit look rough at the bottom; The dash rattles when you have the heater on (assume that this is due to expansion of plastic) and some other little rattles at other times, including the parcel shelf which keeps popping out of its clips and finally the driver's seat cushion occasionally clicks when my weight shifts on it as if the cushion is slightly loose. The seat base is secure, it is something to do with the foam. The dealer offered to strip the seat down but I don't want it pulling apart because I've worked in dealerships and see how little some technicians care for your property.

Finally, it isn't a fault as such but the hard plastic in the boot and some of the interior scratches very easiIy. I can't help thinking that if Suzuki put a couple of hundred pounds more into the trim and fittings and priced the car say £500 more it would still be great value but feel up with the class leaders for perceived quality. 

That might all sound a bit negative but it is a very good and reliable car and I think that most of these issues may relate to me having one from the first few months of production. None of the issues have resulted in a breakdown.

• Like 1

Well, I would think the mechanicals should be trouble free, mine have been except perhaps an occasionally obstructive gear change in cold weather and what feels like a very slight clutch judder, just for the first couple of changes. I believe that this is because Suzuki have used a low friction gearbox oil (to help reduce co2); Toyota had a similar problem a few years back. This last week the gearbox has been fine, but then the weather has been warmer. Suzuki have checked it and declared it fault free anyway.

The issues I have had are all build/fit/finish related. They are not significant enough for me to want to take the car in and in fairness are no greater in number than I had with the Yeti, but they are disappointing:

Headlining does not fit under the seal at the rear of the roof and so the edge of the trim looks untidy; The passenger front door panel pressing is slightly out and makes the panel fit look rough at the bottom; The dash rattles when you have the heater on (assume that this is due to expansion of plastic) and some other little rattles at other times, including the parcel shelf which keeps popping out of its clips and finally the driver's seat cushion occasionally clicks when my weight shifts on it as if the cushion is slightly loose. The seat base is secure, it is something to do with the foam. The dealer offered to strip the seat down but I don't want it pulling apart because I've worked in dealerships and see how little some technicians care for your property.

Finally, it isn't a fault as such but the hard plastic in the boot and some of the interior scratches very easiIy. I can't help thinking that if Suzuki put a couple of hundred pounds more into the trim and fittings and priced the car say £500 more it would still be great value but feel up with the class leaders for perceived quality. 

That might all sound a bit negative but it is a very good and reliable car and I think that most of these issues may relate to me having one from the first few months of production. None of the issues have resulted in a breakdown.

My current Gr Vitara has rattles galore and fit and finish isn't great, but there again, it's not really the cars USP. I bust the hard plastic on the real door trim as the boot is so small, I tried to put a second tennis ball in it and I had to ram the door so hard to shut it, I broke the real panel :( Well it actually hit my collapsible trolley. Probably I will give the car a little bit of leeway as it isn't built to the same standard as an X1/Q3/GLA etc and it's price reflects this, but there again. nobody advertises a car as it's quite cheap, so don't expect it to work 100%"

I've often wonder as to how much it would cost to elevate a car from 'OK' to 'good' with fixtures and fittings upgrades. I suppose there are weight penalties to consider too, which impact on economy and so on. They presumable started with a strict brief of 'price, economy, value for money' and commendably stuck to it :)

The colour range is too limited - grey is the only one I'd consider, the others are meant to be noticed by being a bit lairy or juvenile to me.

The colour range is too limited - grey is the only one I'd consider, the others are meant to be noticed by being a bit lairy or juvenile to me.

You iz not schizzle wiv d'nizzle innit.

White and silver look good and the red/black and orange/black combo are growing on me. hopefully they will expand this eventually.

But one of the reasons that the car is such good value for money is they have rationalised the models and spec available. Which, as the car will never be as common as say the Yeti, means that you don't keep bumping into identical cars to your own, even though choice is limited :)

You iz not schizzle wiv d'nizzle innit.

White and silver look good and the red/black and orange/black combo are growing on me. hopefully they will expand this eventually.

But one of the reasons that the car is such good value for money is they have rationalised the models and spec available. Which, as the car will never be as common as say the Yeti, means that you don't keep bumping into identical cars to your own, even though choice is limited :)

1 Huh!

2 Agree

3 Yetis common? Not out here although after the 'fire sale' they picked up quite a bit - like from none to an occasional one.

A disappointing aspect is the plastics used. If it's like Toyota uses it'll scuff badly v quickly and it's permanent.

1 You are clearly not a yoof (juvenile)

3) Lots of Yetis over here in the North West (England)

1 Anything but however the colour choices seems to be aimed at them.

3 Skoda is not really on the radar for the general public in Oz but they are at least advertising now.

I've noticed one or two manufacturers now producing cars in 'Mediterranean' colours. A lot of adverts are now given colour correction favouring these colours too. Bit annoying for a middle aged peep like myself :D

It's a bit sad when the only acceptable colour is grey.

It's the new black

or it's an old black that has faded a bit

Edited by Lady Elanore