Suzuki Vitara (New model) and S Cross Thread

I haven't seen any on the roads apart from mine, even with a 1000 mile round trip to collect

What?

The closest dealer was 500 miles away?!

So I've got the Vitara and had a brief drive of around 40 miles so far. Early impressions are good so far, as you would expect, but I thought I'd jot down a few observations for those interested in this cheap little SUV

The car is the Vitara 1.6 DDIS SZ% Allgrip (4x4).

The engine, which I believe is a 1.6 Fiat sourced item is fine as far as these things go. Slightly gruff whilst accelerating, but settles down to a very distant hum once up to speed and on a light throttle. It feels a lot more sprightly than you might imagine form a 120ps engine (and around 236lb/ft) due mainly to it's surprisingly light kerb weight :) I tried switching the widget do-dad knobbie jobbie dial thing to Sport and although 'Sport' might be making promises the car can't keep. it makes a noticeable difference to the way the car drives. All of a sudden and extra 420bhp becomes available and the active aero parts come out.............well perhaps not, but the accelerator mapping ramps up quite a bit and the car certainly feels much brisker to hustle. Obviously Snow mode is a little redundant at the moment although this is also the mode for mud, again, not a lot of it about in sunny Manchester currently. There is also a 'Lock' position which mimics the centre diff of proper off roaders, but I left the car in auto, which suits it just fine.

The controls are all pretty light, the gearbox is very positive in action although there is a little numbness to the throw which I have put down to the whole shebang being new and tight, also the pedals are all pretty easy on the feet too :) The steering is light and fairly numb, something I don't expect to improve :D but the car seems to go where you point it, which is always a plus. One nice surprise is the noise the indicators make, very upper class and sound like a distant muffled grandfather clock, powered by a atomic generator........or some b0llox like that. While I'm on the subject of noises, the horn is hysterical. It sounds like the love child of a cow and a punctured space hopper. it's reminiscent of Road Runners "Meep Meep". it's super inoffensive and probably as much use as jelly scaffolding, as people will just wonder who's driving a Friesian around, instead of getting out of the way or taking notice of you. But it's in keeping with the car, very inoffensive.

The seats are comfy and of the sit upon rather than squeeze down into variety and the rear head room is adequate  for those of us with no kids or friends to stuff in back there. Otherwise it's a bit tight vertically as the sunroof nibbles a bit of the height. It is a panoramic monster though and runs most of the way own the car, flooding the car with light, if the rain ever stops for long enough in the North West. Also the boot is decent in size and has one of those new fangled split floor contraptions that mean every time you want something hidden under the false floor, you get the fun of emptying everything out of the boot that sits upon it. perhaps if I regularly transported a mixture of meringues and house bricks I could find a use for it.

The Sat Nav actually works! something I wasn't expecting and the whole thing is painless and easy, even supporting Bluetooth text message reading etc. I believe if you hook up a USB you can use Mirror-link on a smartphone. That CSI lot would make short shrift of getting finger prints off it though, it a proper magnet for the things

Looks wise, it's really nice too. Frontally a bit Evoke and rearwardly it's a  bit Ford Kuga. OK the build quality isn't quite up with Audi and the plastics make you wonder where all those old 78rpm records might have ended up, but it's properly screwed together and feels like it will last the test of time (mind you, we all know tests are much easier these days than when we were young).

One other winning point is the ride quality, it's superb, genuinely superb! The diesel has softer suspension than the petrol variant and it really is a comfortable thing. The damping is spot on imho and the car doesn't jig about too much over humps, yet soaks up all the usual road nonsense that goes on in out cities with aplomb, or is that with 'a plum?' I can't remember. It rolls a little, but nothing too extreme, certainly if you are carrying meringues and house bricks, they should both be intact at the far end.

Finally the economy. There is lots of it. A quick mix of A/B/O-negative/Motorway and traffic jams has produced an average of 51mpg so far. Just as well really, as the fuel tank isn't big enough to keep a goldfish in.

Oh and the radar cruise control works really well, not only does it keep distance from the car in front via a 3 position switch, but it can recognise enemy fighter squadrons crossing the Channel from about 20 miles away.

• Like 2

Nice, enjoy.

As to the steering, did you check what they set the tyre pressures at at the PDI and adjust if required?

I haven't yet, as I had to go pick up the 1 series from the detailer, which took up what was left of the day. I don't expect there to much I can do, as the petrol version is a bit numb in the steering department too. I put it down to this new fangled electric steering. it's ruined plenty of good sports cars so far too :( It's probably the only gripe I have really, which isn't bad for me :)

Funnily enough PDI's often don't include things like checking wheel nuts and similar!  

nope, brought the car home the long way round, jumped into a taxi, got stuck in rush hour, picked BMW up, got stuck in rush hour, got home, ate pie, drank wine and now can't drive until tomorrow. Wine before tyres, before shiny, in this house.........well 'shiny' sometimes has to come first :D

• Like 1

Some photos. Sadly taken with my mobile, but they're not too bad. I should add that this car has the Rugged pack. ie bits of extra plastic pretending to be skid plates and the Walrus tusks front :) I might go outside and check if the skid plates are plastic though (that's not my house in the picture :( )

Vitara 2015 (1 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18720241961_3eddc7f551_b.jpgVitara 2015 (2 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18095193314_a950954477_b.jpgVitara 2015 (3 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18097175903_e0b2f7eec4_b.jpgVitara 2015 (4 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18530058408_9db29dbe32_b.jpgVitara 2015 (5 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18095197854_84990193d5_b.jpgVitara 2015 (6 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18715734032_c9b3bb9a8a_b.jpgVitara 2015 (7 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18691551216_bbf5d1e715_b.jpgVitara 2015 (8 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18720257291_338013eac9_b.jpgVitara 2015 (9 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

18717873895_9bef0fe781_b.jpgVitara 2015 (10 of 11) by Amanda, on Flickr

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

My bet is on a Dyson.

Oh yes. I have a Zorbsta in (almost metaflake purple) bought entirely for the name and the colour :D) and a DC59 Animal rechargeable one :)

Just done around 30miles on the motorway (at realistic outside lane speeds ;) ) and 15 miles of A and B roads with a bit of traffic. 61 mpg! I think the fuel gauge is stuck? I would have averaged around 25-27mpg in my previous Grand Vitara 3dr 2.4 :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been working in Edgbaston for the last 8 days or so and drove down from Manchester at an 'outside lane repmobile speed' using the radar supported cruise control and thanks to a lot of ruddy slow roadworks averaged around 62 mpg over the 90 miles. Then over the following week I drove in and out of town for about 14 miles a day in stop start traffic, this averaged about 55 mpg (not bad considering the car was stone cold and went straight into stationary traffic). The cars only done a few hundred miles so far, so I guess it will improve slightly more in future. Even my old Toledo 130 tdi couldn't average this sort of mpg. I should add I am not a light footed driver, as those who I've met at mini meets will testify  The ride quality is a revelation, I'm still surprised to be reminded how comfy cars were before they started making them 'sporty'. Steering is still taking a bit of getting used to as it's really numb around the straight ahead position and the brake pedal transmits a lot of 'sensation' through it. which I'm not too keen on, but other than that, the car is a surprising triumph :) Can't wait to take it on the beach in a few weeks time :D

For economy, it's a cracking engine. The 105bhp version in my bravo would show 70s mpg on a sensible motorway run.

Are you back up north now?

I am and about to spend a few days in the M135.  I'm hoping it feels extra special fast now :D The Fiat engine in the Suzy is a bit rough at idle when warming up and is also quite 'vocal' (to quote the mags) when accelerating and not fully warmed through, but once as speed it's really quite civilised, which with the pretty high gearing (around 38mph/1,000rpm) makes it a great cruiser on the motorway.

incidentally I saw a silver VRS Fabia at my hotel (Holiday inn Express, Oldbury) for a few days. It had a reg that finished in VRS and a Brisky sticker in the rear window

Has your 2015 Suzuki Vitara got an engine that is shared with Fiat's?

The Jeep Renegade has a Engine shared with Fiat. Different engine from the Suzuki.

Yes, as does the S-Cross. The previous model SX4 had not only the engine, but much of it's mechanicals shared with Fiat. It's a cracking engine (Grommit) in the Vitara and performs better than it's numbers would suggest. probably a lot to do with the cars great light weight :)

There is a demonstrator sitting just down the road from me at the Suzuki dealer.

£22k

Yer having a giraffe.

It's a rather minging two tone sea blue and black as well.

Fugly colours are optional. Suzuki do a horrendous lime colour in the S Cross too :o Nobody pays the sticker price for a regular brand car btw. You could get 2K off that purchase price with a nice smile. I looked at the Qashqai 4x4 and figured I didn't want to spend an additional £7,000 to get the same spec. The plusher materials and fittings just aren't worth £7K in what will be a car that actually goes off road occasionally. Same with the Yeti, it's not worth paying the extra for me.

Is it still sitting straddling the pavement, ? it is an ugly beast, and i like Ugly cars, not that one though.

Was round the back when I saw it in their little used lot.

Mind you they want £3k for an 8yr old Corsa as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my first 1,000 miles in the Vitara and the economy still impresses. Long motorway haul at 'realistic' outside lane speeds gives around 55-60 mpg depending on wind direction, although this can go slightly higher if there are 50 mph roadworks to help squeeze a bit more out. I did around 30 journeys of around 2 miles each way and in stop start London traffic and averaged almost 45 mpg. The car never even got the water temperature up to normal in the hot weather down there.

The radar cruise control is a mixed blessing and something I had never owned on a car before. It works fine, but if you are driving late at night and are perhaps a little weary, you can find that the car in front slows a little, then another pulls out into the gap in front of you (or drops back from an outside lane ) and slows you further. All of a sudden you are driving at 60mph and hadn't realised it  :D I think overall I prefer normal cruise.

One thing I am not too impressed with (apart form the steering in the traight ahead position :() is the feel of the brake pedal. It's very light and transmits a little too much 'sensation' when you brake at medium speeds. It's a bit like when your car has stood for a while and the discs are a ittle rusy if you know what I mean. Of course this could actually be the reason :D

But the ride quality is still very impressive. The way the car can handle any shape of speed bump at speed is unlike any car I have owned, simply brilliant. The engine too, although a little course during acceleration, is quite at speed and once you have around 1,500 rpm on the dial pulls like a .........er............turbo diesel. It feels more like a 2.0 than a 1.6 :)

Overall I am very happy with the car and its about to do nearly 1,000 miles this week. My M135 must be getting worried that I have forgotten about it :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost up to 2,000 miles now and the car is starting loosen up I think. 600 miles in the last few days in and out of London and some fast cruise on the motorway netted 57mpg. Still enjoying the car in almost every way, even the radio which is a bit poverty spec in terms of amp and speakers, is OK. Normally I expect to get average or slightly below average mpg compared to most of the drivers I know with similar vehicles, so I am still genuinely staggered at the economy of my little 4x4. The engine itself is a little noisy as I've said before and under load and during acceleration is definitely a little raucous, but once at speed, is quiet and smooth. I've noticed the gearbox is a tad notchy when cold although the gears engage easily enough, but once the oil is warm the change is sweet as a jammy doughnut. I hadn't really noticed it at first, but the change itself is so light that it masked the sensation to a degree and now that I am familiar with the cars subtle mechanical messages, I naturally spot these things (as you do).

Still not sure I like radar cruise control or not. For every upside it has, there is a corresponding downside. One being if you follow a middle-lane hogger and you slow to match their speed, once you move back to the inside lane you accelerate again and start to come up the nearside of the middle-lane numpty. Mind you in the 20+ miles of roadworks on some of out motorways, it is a boon :)

Only real niggle currently is the LED lights need adjusting as they are set way too high. I'm surprised they don't auto-adjust like Xenons as they seem almost as bright.