Rear brake cleaning

I've just had the second service of our 1.6tdi. I was advised, because the car has rear drums a clean and reset of the rear brakes was due. I was quite surprised this is not included in the service. Surely, if something like this is known and expected why is it not part of the service.

It is part of the 2nd year Major Inspection Service as part of the Skoda National Pricing Service,

& actually as part of the Skoda Service Schedule Guidelines.

Clean & Inspect rear Drums, which requires removing the Rear Wheels and Drums.

Part of why they charge £249 or there abouts. but £139 for a MInor Service.

(edit £259 at the participating dealers on National Pricing, it is still a Service item at non Participating Dealers.)

So if it was a Main Skoda Dealership was there a Print Out Itemising the Service & Checks to be carried out?

How much did the Service cost?

EDIT.

The Wording has changed on this recently, from the Clean Brake Drums that was there before.

But on a car with Rear Drums, why would you remove the Wheels unless you are going to remove the Drums.

How can you check the Brakes without removing the Drums,  it is an Inspection & Report item.

On the Disc Brake cars, the Wheels are not removed.

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hi, it was a Skoda dealer in Colne. The 'Express Visual Check' has Immediate attention item of Hand Brake - Req adjustment at a price of £45.00 - completed 'N'. I had a phone call from the dealer while they had the car, asking if I wanted to rear brakes cleaning at an extra cost.

Are you saying they should have done that anyway? By the way I was charged £199 inc vat.

Rest assured, the 2nd year inspection service does not include a strip down / clean /adjust of the rear drums!

All it includes is a "brake check" which in the case of drum brakes consists of counting the clicks on the handbrake pull.

I argued with my dealer, who is on the national service plan, and they are adamant - pointing to the wording.

I have a service video from them showing my car does 7 clicks instead of the Skoda recommendation of 4 clicks (car is 18 month old / 20,000 miles) and recommending an urgent need to carry out Strip/clean/adjust which costs £45 extra. I said no thanks, I just pressed hard on the brakes and pulled the handbrake up 3 or 4 times, and now its self adjusted and on five clicks......

I have never ever seen a Skoda dealer strip drums at any service unless they have been instructed to and paid by the customer specifically to do so.

• Like 1

I am saying the Print Out for the Technician at the start of the Major Inspection Service 20,000 mile / 2 Year Service should have Check Brakes,

Remove Rear Drums / Clean. 

So just ask them if that is the case.

I have a Print out right here. 

'Maintenance List'. 

18th item down,  *Clean rear drum brake.*  

It does not say adjust,  

But they should have had them off to clean, and the adjust was really so easy and quick. & not requiring an Extra Charge.

Post #4,  crossed over my post.

I will not bother trying to post a poor photo of the list,

but i can if you do not believe what the Service Schedule Maintenance List has on it,  

but then surely those getting their cars serviced got the Copy after the Service.

They like an easy life.  Money for old rope,

and not for doing Service & Maintenance as should be done.

If they are not doing a major Inspection Service as per the Schedule & Guidelines then the Customer should be informed as the vehicle is booked in.

So has the Manufacturers Service Schedule Guidelines changed, while the cars still have Drum Brakes.?

They did change the BRake Fluid change from 2 years to 3 years then 2 yearly.

I have a VW Master Tech standing a few feet away,

and he says your Master Tech and Dealership Employees are talking mince.

Do you have a Print out from your Services?.

This one is still current, but for a car with Discs, so the Drum Removal not required.

Edited by goneoffSKi

They like an easy life.

So has the Manufacturers Service Schedule Guidelines changed, while the cars still have Drum Brakes.

I have a VW Master Tech standing a few feet away,

and he says your Master Tech and Dealership Employees are talking mince.

Do you have a Print out from your Services?.

This one is still current, but for a car with Discs, so the Drum Removal not required.

I have a 2 page printout, with a battery test attached.

Its titled "Express Visual Check" with a small top subsection "Service Reception" - details of car etc followed by "Technician's Report" - 6 sub sections

under Brakes,Suspension & Bearings section in small lettering "visual check of brake discs, pads, brake hoses and dampers" followed by a X in the OK column - nothing under Advisory - under Immediate attention-  Rear brake adjust. Price 39.00 - completed y/n column N

Then a ton of bumpf about tyre condition with lots of pretty graphics of tyre treads....

I've fired off a query to Skoda UK to try and resolve this.

SERVICING 2013 FABIA ESTATE (Skoda 3 year free servicing plan)

I recently had the above car serviced by xxxxxxxxxxx. It was the 2nd service carried out at 20,000 miles.

Before the service, out of curiosity, I asked about whether they actually remove the rear drums to inspect the shoes and if they cleaned them. The service receptionist stated they do not remove drums during servicing. The service receptionist could not answer how they check the brakes but was adamant that drums were not removed.

After the service they said the brakes needed adjustment (should be 4 clicks opposed to 7 clicks) but that would cost an additional £39. (discounted from £45)

Is it true that Skoda UK do not require drums to be removed at a major/inspection service? If so, how on earth  do they "check the brakes"?

• Like 1

Rest assured, the 2nd year inspection service does not include a strip down / clean /adjust of the rear drums!

All it includes is a "brake check" which in the case of drum brakes consists of counting the clicks on the handbrake pull.

I argued with my dealer, who is on the national service plan, and they are adamant - pointing to the wording.

I have a service video from them showing my car does 7 clicks instead of the Skoda recommendation of 4 clicks (car is 18 month old / 20,000 miles) and recommending an urgent need to carry out Strip/clean/adjust which costs £45 extra. I said no thanks, I just pressed hard on the brakes and pulled the handbrake up 3 or 4 times, and now its self adjusted and on five clicks......

I have never ever seen a Skoda dealer strip drums at any service unless they have been instructed to and paid by the customer specifically to do so.

I'll try this and report back.

I got a phone call from Skoda customer services the next day. A chap called John told me he would put my query to Skoda's factory/tech dept and I should receive a reply in the next day or two. Sure enough two days later he rang back with Skoda's response from their tech dept.

He said: During an inspection service, the thickness of the linings are checked by looking through the inspection holes in the brake carrier plate. (Apparently there are pop out bungs) That is all that is required.

So there you have it from Skoda UK themselves - drums are NOT removed during any annual service.

Note: I got the distinct impression that John knew about the discussion on this forum.....maybe he just googled my email text or perhaps they keep an eye on us??

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Nope, everyone including the master tech in the dealership says youre wrong.... you must have an out of date printout.

Yes this kind of annoyed me when I had daughter's Ibiza in for its service, though it kind of explains why main dealer servicing seems cheap!!

A job for the warmer drier weather, and slap some new grey paint on the drums while they are off.

On our Monte's second service we were asked to pay extra for a rear drum clean but declined the offer.

Mind had recently to call out Skoda Assist after coming back from a week away, as the rear hand brake stubbornly refused to release.

Just wish Skoda UK would stop insisting UK spec Fabia's have these old tech drum brakes, although saying that I've also noted the quality of the discs used on Skoda's has declined, just have to get a splash of water on the Spaceback's discs and you've got a heavy covering of rust before you know it :S

TP

• Like 1