Corroded Alloys

Hi all, my 2013 VRS is due its second service soon and I've recently noticed that three of the alloy wheels have started to corrode. It's not surface corrosion, it seems to be under the lacquer and on the centre emblem. It's definitely not due to kerbing as I'm really careful about this, the other half says we're usually only a short walk to the kerb! Obviously I'll mention it at the service but realistically have I got a case for replacement under warranty or am I being too fussy about a garaged ten thousand mile two year old car.....?1d12ee3a57635514718d56567ceb7abd.jpg80db84075dba01f892a0fc6cf59daa69.jpg65c9637cd798726293259a5ab9691db5.jpgedddbb2ad442e0d3e2625bd4a3ba9ff5.jpg99569a1b53f654a59bc9c6d787bc7286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search for "white spider" on VRS wheels, that is pretty common and should be a warranty job, rim replacement.

Had this on my wheels also.

Edited by Laars

I've got the same on my wheels mate. I had one replaced under warranty 6 months ago. I have the same wheels you have.

6 months ago, there was only corrosion on the one wheel, now I've got it on the other 3. A lot of corrosion in a short space of time. I'm going to eventually get some different wheels!

• Like 1

Nah never refurbished, have to admit didn't notice anything when tyres changed and was conscious of them marking rims so did look..... To be fair though the unchanged rears are the worst.

This happens to all diamond cut alloys no matter what the make

It's because the lacquer doesn't bond very well to the smooth surface and the slightest pin hole or chip allows water to track underneath (the white ****)

True, but in comparison to where it is well known on the Dark Chrome Gigaro the first ones were going bad before November 2010. And some replacements have had a far better lacquer and lasted well. I have had 6 replacements on 2 cars and a couple have not had the issue, 4 are as bad as the originails they replaced.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Would the centre caps be classed as a warranty item or general wear or tear? The ones on both front wheels are bubbling badly despite being only 15 months old, its due a service in a fortnight so was wondering if its worth mentioning it? I have 15" standard alloys on mine.

Centre caps are covered under warranty. Seems the new types are just as bad or worse than the old green logo ones.

The ones they replace them with, will have gone the same way in 3 years, Skoda caps / badges are just poor quality parts. Expensive if you have to buy them though.

• Like 1

Would the centre caps be classed as a warranty item or general wear or tear? The ones on both front wheels are bubbling badly despite being only 15 months old, its due a service in a fortnight so was wondering if its worth mentioning it? I have 15" standard alloys on mine.

Yup. Warranty again

Dealer should sort

I had four replaced last summer at the 2 year point , they were not in the same league as that very minor corrosion creeping in but i have always kept them well cleaned and protected

As I understand it the replaced ones were refurbished rather than new , they did look like they had more laquer on than the originals which might account for the longer life

As said though its very common with diamond cut wheels and always a matter of time , but out of warranty you can easily get them refurbed a solid colour

I had exactly this on the wheels of my Golf GTi, but unfortunately it started whilst out of warranty. Eventually I got them refurbed and powder coated instead of re-diamond cut to stop it coming back again. Same thing happened with the VW centre caps as well, you would think VAG could have sorted out the problem after all these years!

It's not a VAG issue, it is a trade-off for running polished or diamond cut alloys which affects all manufacturers.

There is no protection from the paint as there isn't any, the laquer is applied directly to the polished surface of the alloy. It is a weak design but looks pretty in the brochure, in the showrom and conveniently normally before the warranty expires.

The vast majority of warranty replacement alloys are not brand new, they are refurbished from the previous claim, this is why they sometimes seem more durable the second time around, chances are they have more laquer on!

If the car is a keeper then get them swapped under warranty as close to the three year mark as you can then budget for a full refurb but without the polished finish for a few years later.

The Proteus alloy on the MkII Octavia Scout has suffered the same issue since 2007. Skoda knew about it but were still fitting the same wheels as late as 2013.

It is a simple calculation, the cost of a handful of warranty claims is offset by what would be needed to properly address the issue.

The craze for diamond cut alloys is still ramping up so the issue isn't going away anytime soon.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

The problem is for owners outside of warranty, to get them repaired you need to skim the wheel down to the bear alloy and then re-lacquer it. But as you're removing a layer of the metal, the experts say you can only get this done once to protect the integrity of the wheel.

Thats why you are better off having them refurbed a solid colour rather than diamond cut again, this is also a great deal cheaper . They do look nice and while Skoda are paying i'll have them but they have a finite life as you say

When my polished / diamond cut alloys corroded (after already being replaced under warranty once) I had them refurbished but without the polished finish.

I was worried because I really liked the shine that the polished surface gave off in the bright summer sun but I needn't have worried. A proper good quality refurb with a nice bright silver and they look every bit as good as before...

IMG_6037_zpsd7ac3dbc.jpg

IMG_6033_zps6efb198c.jpg

The problem is that the alloy wheel trend has moved on a step, we now have twin colour alloys, as with the OP's Gigaro on the Fabia, black spokes with polished faces.

An all-over silver isn't going to look very similar to what is there now...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1