Drivers Door Creek

My drivers door makes a creeking noise as I'm pulling out of my drive and over speed bumps. This noise stops with the window down.

I've tried lubricating window seals and door seals, nothing changed so far. On the top of the A pillar I can see the door seal has been making contact more than it should by the looks of it.

Has anyone seen this before if so can they help. Skoda dealer I use are useless so I'd rather fix it myself in work unless it needs new parts then il use the warranty.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, this sort of noise can be misleading. It may sound (and actually be the thing you think it is) like the front door seal or seals but may not be. In the trade I dealt with just this sort of things for 35 years. The fact you put the window down and the noise goes away can be an indicator or not. Putting the window down alters the door dynamics and can make the noise go away as you've found. In some cases it may make the door sound worse. So, the first step is to make sure the door check strap is tight and lubricated. They do come loose sometimes and can make noise with the door closed. Next, check each hinge is tight, and I'd lubricate each one too. They are in fact self lubricating but sometimes some grit gets into the hinge and it can make the door creak or groan as the car moves on uneven ground. So do those things first. Then come back. 

The other thing it often can be is the front suspension anti roll bar or the front suspension strut top mount creaking. But they can sound like the door is the problem in many cases. Opening the window just directs the noise away, strange but true. 

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1

Hi Richard, this sort of noise can be misleading. It may sound (and actually be the thing you think it is) like the front door seal or seals but may not be. In the trade I dealt with just this sort of things for 35 years. The fact you put the window down and the noise goes away can be an indicator or not. Putting the window down alters the door dynamics and can make the noise go away as you've found. In some cases it may make the door sound worse. So, the first step is to make sure the door check strap is tight and lubricated. They do come loose sometimes and can make noise with the door closed. Next, check each hinge is tight, and I'd lubricate each one too. They are in fact self lubricating but sometimes some grit gets into the hinge and it can make the door creak or groan as the car moves on uneven ground. So do those things first. Then come back.

The other thing it often can be is the front suspension anti roll bar or the front suspension strut top mount creaking. But they can sound like the door is the problem in many cases. Opening the window just directs the noise away, strange but true.

Thank you, when I get the car back later il check the door. The suspension noise I used to have has gone since I've lowered the car I made sure I lubricated everything I could when I had the struts off. Forgot to say it's had a door seal sorry, had a water leak on the front drivers door when I first had the car.

I get this every 4-6 Months on my drivers door, As Estate man say's above I notice grit and grime seems to gather on the Hinges its a Very annoying Creaking sound when it occurs, Mine is always solved with a good clean of all the door shuts, Then a drop of oil on the door hinges, so I do all the doors at the same time. Problem solved.

Edited by tamiyaandy

• 2 weeks later...

Checked passenger side after I posted this and I can confirm that was also loose. T25 bits to tighten the screws, guessing these don't stay tight will check every few weeks.

Maybe lock tight is in order?

• 8 months later...

It's been awhile but the creek has been fixed :)

It was the trim next to the windscreen it was loose. Tightened and applied some rubber care on seals, brilliant.

E22C5CC8-90A1-4255-B011-E7D93AC81808.jpg

FB9FB3AA-8CF4-46F0-83C6-2E8AB35135EF.jpg

Bump on this.

Which screws and where were they located? Have a similar issue and want to check this out first before I book it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk