Child seats

My son will soon be visiting from Australia and is bringing the grandchildren. First time UK visit for the kids.

Question is can you fit 2 child seats plus a (slim) adult in the rear or is that too much of a squeeze? Car is an estate.

Advice gratefully received - been over 30 years since I've had to faff around with child seats!

If you mean the "Big" car seats with side and head protection then it maybe a squeeze. I only have one proper car seat in the back of mine and a booster and my eldest who's 11 always lets me know how little room she has in the middle!!

The rear seats don't help by being curved and shaped at the edges, but give it a go mate and see how you fair :-) Maybe boosters could be an option if they are old/tall enough??

And at least you should have isofix so no messing about looping seatbelts through the smallest gaps imaginable!!

If you mean the "Big" car seats with side and head protection then it maybe a squeeze. I only have one proper car seat in the back of mine and a booster and my eldest who's 11 always lets me know how little room she has in the middle!!

The rear seats don't help by being curved and shaped at the edges, but give it a go mate and see how you fair :-) Maybe boosters could be an option if they are old/tall enough??

And at least you should have isofix so no messing about looping seatbelts through the smallest gaps imaginable!!

Thanks Steve.

I don't know if I can use just booster seats - the children are aged 4 and 5 - not sure about their height/weight.   I'll have to look up the rules and regulations.

Yup ISOFIX is a godsend. When I last fitted a child seat in the early 1970's I had to drill the holes in the vehicle bodywork in order to install it it in an Austin Maxi. 

Health and Safety?  Not invented here !!

No worries! The booster idea may still be an option but if my 5 year old is anything to go by, the issues start if they nod off and they end slouched in the seat so we still have her in a proper seat for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's certainly possible in the hatch and that's with two larger style full child seats. They do have to be slim though and I wouldn't wanting to be driving for hours either.

Edited by SC03OTT

Yeah at 4 & 5 years they should be in a forward facing high back with side protection using the cars 3 point belt.

Sonething like a maxi cosi rodi fix should work.

Got ours for £70 on Amazon.

Ok - thanks everybody for the feedback.

Will try and see if we can get 3 in the rear. Luckily the adult at the back is very slim and we won't be driving any serious distances.

Have 2x IsoFix Cybex age 4-11 seats in mine and have to unclip the isofix system and rely on seatbelts for when there's a middle passenger and it's still a squeeze. I personally wouldn't want to do any long / high speed journeys with just a booster seat without side protection.

Have 2x IsoFix Cybex age 4-11 seats in mine and have to unclip the isofix system and rely on seatbelts for when there's a middle passenger and it's still a squeeze. I personally wouldn't want to do any long / high speed journeys with just a booster seat without side protection.

I also use the cybex seat too, different models though. My youngest has the model that has the big black padded thing to hold her in.

So....I had a sit in the back of mine last night to test this out. I could fit, technically. But I wouldnt want to be there for long. And I had to either have my arms over the chairs, or quite tightly in my lap. Also have to get someone else to put the second seat in, as you cant really clamber past one to get into the middle. Mine are the "maxi cosi priorifix" and "Nania Driver"  (group 1 chairs, from 9 months to approx 4 years).

The Priorifix has an isofix leg thing that goes in the foot well too, so you cant really get past that!