Spark plugs for MK2 Fabia vRS?

Smith2191

I use Denso SKJ20CR set at 0.6mm gap. Cured my misfire, now runs perfect.

I'll be putting these into ours shortly, now done 14k since engine change (delighted to say not using a drop of oil) and I'm not taking any chances with leaving plugs in for recommended intervals. Goneoffski kindly provided me with a link to a site to get these, though I don't recall him advising that I would need to alter the gap prior to fitting?

• Like 2

I'll be putting these into ours shortly, now done 14k since engine change (delighted to say not using a drop of oil) and I'm not taking any chances with leaving plugs in for recommended intervals. Goneoffski kindly provided me with a link to a site to get these, though I don't recall him advising that I would need to alter the gap prior to fitting?

The reason I altered the gap to 0.6mm was I was getting misfire at high revs, especially when pulling hard. I initially suspected my Bluespark box was to blame, but when I removed it, misfire still occurred, but not quite as bad. I phoned Bluespark Tech Support (they were brilliant) - and here's what they said:-

On 21 July 2015 at 18:23, Bluespark Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Derek,

I remember you really quite vividly and hope that you are well (other than this issue obviously).

Misfires on the 1.4 TSI are very common and almost always related to spark problems.

Increasing boost pressure almost always aggravates this issue, and whilst its possible that the box could have developed a fault, I would say that a spark problem is far more likely.

Fortunately though these issues are very easily solved. You usually just need to re-gap the spark plugs (or replace them with ones with the correct gap). We recommend running a 0.6mm plug gap.

There is some more information about this in this thread:

http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=174604

From the factory VAG used to recommend a 0.9mm gap, now due to misfiring issues with standard cars they recommend 0.8mm gaps. Obviously as with any engine the gaps tend to open up over time as the plugs get worn away.

If you could possibly check your plug gaps and let me know what they are currently I would really appreciate it. I would be very surprised if re-gapping to 0.6mm/0.65mm didn't solve the problem, but obviously if not I will be more than happy to check over your box thoroughly and repair or replace it for you.

Best regards,

Edd

I took the opportunity to replace my plugs with Denso  SKJ20CR as recommended by George (Goneoffski) & regapped them to 0.6mm as per recommendation of Bluespark.
Result? No more misfiring no matter how hard i thrash it.
Thanks George (goneoffski) & Edd (Bluespark)
  • Like 4

The reason I altered the gap to 0.6mm was I was getting misfire at high revs, especially when pulling hard. I initially suspected my Bluespark box was to blame, but when I removed it, misfire still occurred, but not quite as bad. I phoned Bluespark Tech Support (they were brilliant) - and here's what they said:-

On 21 July 2015 at 18:23, Bluespark Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Derek,

I remember you really quite vividly and hope that you are well (other than this issue obviously).

Misfires on the 1.4 TSI are very common and almost always related to spark problems.

Increasing boost pressure almost always aggravates this issue, and whilst its possible that the box could have developed a fault, I would say that a spark problem is far more likely.

Fortunately though these issues are very easily solved. You usually just need to re-gap the spark plugs (or replace them with ones with the correct gap). We recommend running a 0.6mm plug gap.

There is some more information about this in this thread:

From the factory VAG used to recommend a 0.9mm gap, now due to misfiring issues with standard cars they recommend 0.8mm gaps. Obviously as with any engine the gaps tend to open up over time as the plugs get worn away.

If you could possibly check your plug gaps and let me know what they are currently I would really appreciate it. I would be very surprised if re-gapping to 0.6mm/0.65mm didn't solve the problem, but obviously if not I will be more than happy to check over your box thoroughly and repair or replace it for you.

Best regards,

Edd

I took the opportunity to replace my plugs with Denso  SKJ20CR as recommended by George (Goneoffski) & regapped them to 0.6mm as per recommendation of Bluespark.
Result? No more misfiring no matter how hard i thrash it.
Thanks George (goneoffski) & Edd (Bluespark)

Thanks for the detailed explanation, appreciated.

• Like 2

I'm also running the denso spark plugs after having a misfire a couple of months back, it's not showed its face since.

Apparently these are what Audi have in their 1.4 tsi engines in the A1's.

• Like 1

Mine are now shot after 12k.... (NGK7's) going to use the denso's next... at 0.6mm gap..

some good info on this thread, thanks :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mine are now shot after 12k.... (NGK7's) going to use the denso's next... at 0.6mm gap..

Lasted longer than mine which were shot after 5k miles haha, currently running whatever the standard skoda ones are, changing to the denso before we go away next year.

• Like 1

Lasted longer than mine which were shot after 5k miles haha, currently running whatever the standard skoda ones are, changing to the denso before we go away next year.

"Shot" like? Any photos of how they were looking? mine did 17K km (a little over 10K miles) and were still looking like that:

Not too bad, but 2 of them were a bit white on the sides...

post-76656-0-83652600-1445960552_thumb.jpg

"Shot" like? Any photos of how they were looking? mine did 17K km (a little over 10K miles) and were still looking like that:

Not too bad, but 2 of them were a bit white on the sides...

I say shot, I was away on holiday and the car started misfiring while under load so I just took It to the nearest skoda dealer and they changed the plugs under warranty. Didn't have a chance to see what they took out not the part number of what they put in.

First off the car has been running well up until a couple of weeks ago.It is a Fabia Mk2 vRS 1.4 DSG CAVE TFSI. On a trip to Norwich on a hill whilst accelerating the engine warning light came on. I eased off for about 10mins everything seemed fine so pressed on no with no more problems. Then on a trip back from Leicester the engine management light came on when travelling up a hill this was about half way home to Manchester. I was doing 80 so eased back the light went off and then it ran fine for the rest of the journey. I even enjoyed the the last bit over the snake pass towards Manchester. Back to last week the car was running but was misfiring at idle speed. When driving I noticed that it was also misfiring but harder to detect at faster speeds. The poor running seems to occur when it has been run for a while. The idle is speed and misfiring is constant. I had a diagnostic done last week at my local garage  and it came back with an error for a misfire on cylinders 1 to 4 and they were intermittent. I had the car serviced, oil, filters and spark plugs were changed. These were to the recommended ones NGK 5758. The car still runs with an intermittent misfire at idle and does seem sluggish to pick up speed but once going it does seem ok. What to do next? I am wondering if I should take it into a Skoda dealer and let them have a look at it. What do you think? Any suggestions? Anybody know of a decent Skoda garage in Manchester area?

2 years ago Skoda / VW changed the plug fitment for the Twinchargers to

03C905601B

NGK SIZFR6B8FG & a 0.7mm gap

(  NGK 96498   i think!!  Best Check.)

?

Has your ECU had a Software Update anytime, or in the past 2 years?

Has your DSG required the Oil Changed and the Software Update since the Service Campaign was introduced in May 2014? *A Free Service Campaign.'

Not related to the Misfires,

but if it needs doing you could get the Engine Software Update done at the same time.

There is nothing in service log book about this being done. Mind you it does say the spark plugs were changed at 36k. I forgot to mention it is a 2011 model. So would you recommend that I take it to a Skoda dealer and ask them to do this along with another service and to check that the plugs are the correct type with the right gap settings?

First off the car has been running well up until a couple of weeks ago.It is a Fabia Mk2 vRS 1.4 DSG CAVE TFSI. On a trip to Norwich on a hill whilst accelerating the engine warning light came on. I eased off for about 10mins everything seemed fine so pressed on no with no more problems. Then on a trip back from Leicester the engine management light came on when travelling up a hill this was about half way home to Manchester. I was doing 80 so eased back the light went off and then it ran fine for the rest of the journey. I even enjoyed the the last bit over the snake pass towards Manchester. Back to last week the car was running but was misfiring at idle speed. When driving I noticed that it was also misfiring but harder to detect at faster speeds. The poor running seems to occur when it has been run for a while. The idle is speed and misfiring is constant. I had a diagnostic done last week at my local garage  and it came back with an error for a misfire on cylinders 1 to 4 and they were intermittent. I had the car serviced, oil, filters and spark plugs were changed. These were to the recommended ones NGK 5758. The car still runs with an intermittent misfire at idle and does seem sluggish to pick up speed but once going it does seem ok. What to do next? I am wondering if I should take it into a Skoda dealer and let them have a look at it. What do you think? Any suggestions? Anybody know of a decent Skoda garage in Manchester area?

How many miles? Remaps? If plugs didn't fix it, coil-packs is the next thing to check/replace. They do also tend to die out on some cars although they show a much longer lifetime than plugs. I am actually replacing them now at 62K km after I got cylinder 4 shut-down on two occasions during the last month.

sharktank123,

you need to do something,. and checking the Ignition coils would be one of those things.

Was the car Called in for the DSG or have you checked?

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

If it needs to go in for this free Service Campaign, it is a good time to have the Engine Checked 

and a Engine Software (ECU) Update done.

Just checked the recall and no record is showing for this vehicle? Like you said its better to make sure than be driving along waiting for something to happen.

If it was ignition coils is there an easy check could my local garage do it or would you take it to a local Skoda dealer garage and get them to check it out along with the ECU updates etc... 

Just checked the recall and no record is showing for this vehicle? Like you said its better to make sure than be driving along waiting for something to happen.

If it was ignition coils is there an easy check could my local garage do it or would you take it to a local Skoda dealer garage and get them to check it out along with the ECU updates etc... 

You wish it'd be that easy. There's been a case were a certain coil-pack had been repeatedly misfiring, owner then replaced it with a new one at his own cost as he was away from a dealership at the time. Problem solved. Then he thought he'd put it back on and claim it under warranty. He puts it back on, gives it the beans and... car running fine, as if nothing had happened before... Surely at some point the same coil-pack would cause a misfire but it is more complicated than: Does it work? Yes/No > Replace.

It's nice if you got VCDS so you can do this checking on your own. See if it is the same cylinder misfiring or even shtuting down every time, replace just that coil-pack, see if it fixes the problem. That's what I am doing currently. I got 4 new but replaced just no.4 and will test in the coming days to see if I get anything.

Sorry but what does VCDS stand for? The diagnostic errors has the following. It has 2 columns one headed DTC then another headed Description.

DTC               Description

P030100        Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

intermittent

Priority                                                      2

Fault Frequency Counter                         5

Fault Delay counter/ driving cycle            255

Distance Indicator                                    65821

Time

Date

P030300        Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

intermittent

Fault Frequency Counter                         1

Distance Indicator                                    64940

Time

Date

P030400        Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

intermittent

Fault Frequency Counter                         3

Time

Date

P030200        Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

intermittent

Fault Frequency Counter                         3

Time

Date

P030000        Random / multiple cylinder Misfire Detected

intermittent

Fault Frequency Counter                         5

Time

Date

This is how I got the printout. Doe this give any clues as to what going on?

It's one of the most well-known diagnostic tools for VAG vehicles. Anyway, it does seem a bit odd that all cylinders are misfiring at the same time, might not be down to coil-packs but maybe just bad fuel? Does the time of appearance of the misfires coincide with new fuel going in by any chance?