WINTER motoring

skoda.fr

Here is some more tips in a video from Radio 1's Newsbeat.

BBC - Newsbeat - Top tips for driving in the snow

Another one is if you are faced with going down a steep hill on snow or ice. Get yourself into a low gear (2nd or 1st), DO NOT touch the pedals, let the engine do the braking, just steer. If you are going too fast then light dab the brakes.

• 9 months later...

Just in case ... Advice from AA, clear and in pictures as I was asked today about screen wash. :no:

Colin - following the "financial review " - can you ascertain of a supply of road salt and a shovel might be a requirement for every car driver this winter . :rofl: :rofl:

• 5 weeks later...

ive just picked up a set of Nankang Snow SV-2 winter tyres for the wifes car. never used these before, normally use vredestein snowtrac tyres. but since my vRS was much mmore precious than this pants 307, i thought these would suffice, anyone used them?

• 7 months later...

Am I better going for a cheap set of brand new winter tyres or a set of jeep tyres that have been re-moulded, but designed for use with mud and snow?

Specifically

A set of Nakang SV-2 snows which will cost me ~240

A remoulded set of Kingpin Mud&Snow ~120

• 2 months later...

I've just read all the bumf in auto express regarding winter Tyres so you don't have to!

Best winter- continental contiwintercontact TS830P

Best all season- hankook optimo 4s

The conti only looses on all year use down to price.

There you go!

I'm going for the conti's on the new motor due in Dec/Jan

Anyone with a MKII Octavia, Yeti or MKII Superb (the ET may be too much for the MKI Superb as they use ET37 IIRC as std) that is after a brand new set of 5x112 7x16" ET 42 (OE Audi winter alloys) fitted with brand new 205/55/16 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres then take a look @ eBay Item number: 160646518031

They are not 'cheap' but they are certainly the cheapest way to buy brand new (from a dealer) genuine VAG alloys and new winter tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with a MKII Octavia, Yeti or MKII Superb (the ET may be too much for the MKI Superb as they use ET37 IIRC as std) that is after a brand new set of 5x112 7x16" ET 42 (OE Audi winter alloys) fitted with brand new 205/55/16 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres then take a look @ eBay Item number: 160646518031

They are not 'cheap' but they are certainly the cheapest way to buy brand new (from a dealer) genuine VAG alloys and new winter tyres.

Not 'cheap'? £168.75 per wheel/tyre. If you assume the wheel at (at least) £110 that puts the tyre at £58.75.

Not 'cheap'; I'd call it a 'bargain' :thumbup:

Not 'cheap'? £168.75 per wheel/tyre. If you assume the wheel at (at least) £110 that puts the tyre at £58.75.

Certainly is - I've gone for some steel wheels (£45.99 each) plus some Goodyear GW3s (£120 each fitted, admittedly 215/60x16) so that's £165.99 per corner and no nice alloys :doh:

The RRP for the wheels is IIRC £220 each!!

They are certainly a bargain.

The RRP for the wheels is IIRC £220 each!!

They are certainly a bargain.

Well it has certainly got me thinking.

If they are only a few quid more than steel wheels and tyres then it is a bargain.

The big questions are can I afford it?

How much snow, ice and slippery roads are we going to get in the next 2 years?

Is it value for money for the quite low mileage that I do?

Answers on a postcard

How much snow, ice and slippery roads are we going to get in the next 2 years?

Is it value for money for the quite low mileage that I do?

Answers on a postcard

Only you can answer that.

For me if I do not work then I do not get paid, plus all you need is to slide on a bit of ice to hit a curb which will likely wreck a wheel meaning a refurb or replacement, not to mention any damage you do to the wishbone/steering rack, possible loss of NCB and insurance excess etc ......

Having been actively involved in motorsport for over half of my life, i know 1st hand what the difference the correct rubber can make, so much so that not only did I buy some for my car last year I have now given them to my wife to use whilst I have my new set to put on.

Last year my wife could not even get onto our drive because of the ice (the drive is not even on a slope let alone a hill!) and needed to be pushed by a neighbour, I came home an hour later and had no problems at all :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We're running special offers at the moment on Winter checks and Winter Tyres. We can even store your current tyres free of charge. Feel free to message me if you would like any more info.

As Briskoda members we also offer price match on tyres and 10% off services.

Cheers,

Yes they will fit no problems, although they are only ET42, I believe most MKII Octavia's are around ET50 - BUT also 1/2" wider than these.

If you are still in doubt the seller can check for you as they are a VW dealer with ETKA.

Tyres are the same size as mine though - 205/55/16 - So I guess contact with the road will be the same.

Planning on getting these and selling my alloys on - so I'll be running on those permanently and swapping rubber. (So free alloys...)

I don't have anywhere to store 4 extra wheels, you see.

Would they need spacers? Now would be the time to buy them before I get those wheels... :)

Garage says that the fitment on those wheels would not be suitable on my Octavia because they would be 14mm extra width wise.

One guy apparently sent them back...

Drawing board time.

Garage says that the fitment on those wheels would not be suitable on my Octavia because they would be 14mm extra width wise.

One guy apparently sent them back...

Drawing board time.

What size wheels are fitted to an Elegance then? because going by what they say they must be only 6 1/2" wide? a vRS runs 7 1/2" so TBH I cannot see a & 7" ET42 wheel being an issue on a MKII Octavia .... BUT I don't own one so cannot be 100% sure.

Sacked off the local garage after they didn't seem too interested in helping me.

Went to Kwik Fit for £40 cheaper and got Goodyear Ultragrip 8's which have been rated very highly on them ol' interwebs.

Come on Winter, give it your best shot.

If it had been just the wheels...