Condensation and ice inside my Monte

Hi all, just looking for some feedback really. I have a Fabia III Monte Carlo Estate that is just a few months old. Since having it I have noticed that there is always a lot on condensation on the inside of the windscreen, to the point that I pretty much have to have the a/c on all the time, unless it is a very warm day. With the very cold weather recently I now have ice inside the windscreen most mornings and, because the fan is a bit weedy, it takes forever to shift. The last time I remember this was in my Vauxhall Nova 1.4L back in 1984!

I just wondered if others out there have this too or if mine just has duff seals. Thanks.

Light condensation on the inside of the windscreen is normal, your warm breath against the ice cold glass will likely cause a bit of fogging until the fans get to grips with clearing it.

Ice on the inside suggests a problem somewhere.

Do you store wet clothing in the car, are the mats wet? Do you have a wet dog?

If not then check the carpets for dampness, there may be a leak somewhere.

Go and invest in these, leave them in the car on the floor or out of the way and they will absorb excess moisture, when the indicator shows they are saturated, microwave them or dry them on a radiator so you can reuse them, we had them in our Fabia, brilliant piece of kit!

Follow this LINK

Hi all, thanks so much for responses, really helpful. I don't keep wet clothes/dogs/kids etc in the car anytime so I don't think that's the cause. The dehumidifier pads look like the way to go but I will also mention it to my dealer when it goes in for its first service. Thanks again.

Run your hands under the floor mats, check there isn't any damp patches.

Leaking door seals, windscreens and scuttle trays invariably result in wet carpets, conveniently hidden by the dry over-mats.

I've got a mark 3 Fabia estate and it fogs up like a sauner bath. No problems in the summer but now it's cooler, every time I get in the car the windscreen mists over immediately and it takes ages to clear with the screen demist setting and the air con on and the blower on full. There are no leaks, the flooring is not damp, but I do think that there is no built-in way of refreshing the air in the car passively. Even on a long journey, after say two hours of travelling when everything should have reached a  steady condition, I still have to switch on the air con occasionally to clear the screen. It is the most annoying aspect of the car and it is really annoying. I keep two microfibre cloths, one in the car to clear the windscreen and one in the house on a radiator to dry out, then I switch them over. Anything damp in the car results in a total fog out which includes my clothing if it's raining. Today I bought a dehumidifier sack, I think it's called 'Dry Ice', from Halfords and I hope it will stop this problem, Tomorrow, I make a 250 mile journey to Aberdeen and then back again. I will let you know if there is any improvement. There are several people on this site who have complained about this problem and some have said that the screen needs a good clean up with a glass cleaner. I have tried this and it did decrease the fogging but it is still very annoying. On a wet and rainy day, when my wife and I get in the car from shopping with wet clothing and wet bags, it fuggs up like the bathroom when you've just had a shower and takes ages to clear.I have never had such a dampness-retaining car before.

Pingu dehumidifier packs work and you can recharge them in the microwave.  I also have a mini dehumidifier off amazon for about £30 which I put in now and again to remove anything the packs can't

Thinking about it, I had this kind of problem with my Fabia MkII but I had rubber mats. Now I have a Polo with carpets mats, I certainly get less icing up inside the car, but there again, the weather hasn't been so cold down here.

Edited by threadbear

I can agree on de moist absorber kit idea. I have small Pingi (I think ~300 grams) tucked away in the little box below the handbrake, and I don't have any mist issues even with two kids entering the car in rain.

Leave it on when the temperature is above 2*oC, but below that it disables its self anyway.

You really have to just clear the vehicle of moisture (H20) when you can, and remove mats etc to dry before parking up when temperatures are going to drop.

Remember to open doors and let out the H20 that fills up in doors and gets trapped because that is what Skoda has had as a characteristic for decades now.

Like VW since they changed from Air Cooled engines, they have trouble keeping fluids in engines and out of passenger compartments.

Rubber seams to be something that VW, Skoda, Seat & Audi do not quite get to grips with!!

Leave it on when the temperature is above 2*oC, but below that it disables its self anyway.

Regardless of the temperature I though a/c assisted in de-humidifying the air however that might just be me making an assumption?

Regards Bob