Help! Haldex issues.

Hi all, hope someone can shed some light on my problem. I recently bought myself a 2012 octy 4x4 2.0 tdi cr. All is well with the car, and I am well chuffed with my purchase. Unfortunatly it seems to have developed a fault with its drive line. I noticed the other day, when pulling out of a junction, that the front wheels were struggling for grip, just like my old 2wd octy. There are no warning lights lit up, no horrible noises coming from the drive line, I am at a loss...

Any ideas, thoughts, solutions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. :thumbup:

The power under normal driving conditions is roughly 90% to the front wheels and 10% to the rears.

Extra power is transferred to the rear wheels when the front wheels lose grip.

So, the Haldex system doesn't prevent the front wheels from loosing grip. The traction control, tyres and clutch control influence this.

If the front wheels spin then you should see the ESP (traction control) light flash on the dash.

If it doesn't flash (or you can't turn the ESP on/off using the button down near the ashtray) then this will suggest there is a fault, which then may also be affecting the Haldex.

Edited by silver1011

From my experience with my TT Quattro you shouldn't notice any wheel spin at all and that was with a previous version of Haldex so yours should be a better set-up unless Skoda have ruined it

It should feel near enough like a permanent 4x4 and if you are wheel spinning out of junctions its not working correctly

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

Can you give a more detailed description of the situation at the junction.

I have a MKII Octy Scout and my regular route home takes me from a a very busy T-junction onto a 50mph bend, which even on a dry day will be wet from water coming off nearby farmlands.

I regularly have to boot it to get round safely, and occasionally the wheels will scrabble for traction for a split second, then grip. Very occasionally the TCS light will come on, though to be fair to the car, that only tends to be during heavy rainfall. I've never experienced 'fishtailing' or ever thought the car was out of control.

How was your situation in comparison?

Thank you all for your replies. To fin69, I am experiencing a flashing tcs light on the dash when I boot it. I turned off the traction control to try out what would happen, and I got massive wheel spin, on the fronts only of course.

I've looked about on the web, could it be the pre charge pump?

Thanks for the battery link silver1011, i'll be looking in to that too.

When I first got the car, I could boot it out of junctions etc, and all I got was no fuss/drama acceleration. Not that I drive like that of course!  :devil:

Thanks all on this great forum! Keep your answers coming!!

• Like 1

I would definitely get the car scanned, from my time on the TT forum the Haldex would often have issues with earthing straps, corroded plugs and pre-charge pump failures and most of the time non of them would bring a light up or interfere with the traction control despite logging fault codes.

Check your front tyres for wear...

After 4 years your Haldex should be due for an old change? Book it in to a Skoda dealer and ask them to check it over while changing the oil.

If you have a full service history then any part needing replaced, which is out of warranty, should be subject to a goodwill contribution by Skoda.

I would definitely get the car scanned, from my time on the TT forum the Haldex would often have issues with earthing straps, corroded plugs and pre-charge pump failures and most of the time non of them would bring a light up or interfere with the traction control despite logging fault codes.

Check your front tyres for wear...

After 4 years your Haldex should be due for an old change? Book it in to a Skoda dealer and ask them to check it over while changing the oil.

If you have a full service history then any part needing replaced, which is out of warranty, should be subject to a goodwill contribution by Skoda.

Thanks guys. I think a trip to a garage is on the horizon. The service history tells me the haldex oil was changed 8 thousand miles ago, Also, incidently, it had a new clutch fitted also. Don't know if that has anything to do with my problem. I would say not.

Now to find an honest, reputable, independent garage that will help me. :)  P.S The tires are about 1,000 miles old.

Edited by pj71

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thought i'd write a quick update. It would seem that my 4wd is back! I have not had a chance for anyone to look at it, due to work stuff.

When I boot it out of junctions now, I am not getting any wheel spin, no tcs light on the dash. Just lots of lovely forward momentum.

I will have it checked out though...

Thanks, as ever,  to all your helpful hints, and experience. :D

Hi all, thought i'd write a quick update. It would seem that my 4wd is back! I have not had a chance for anyone to look at it, due to work stuff.

When I boot it out of junctions now, I am not getting any wheel spin, no tcs light on the dash. Just lots of lovely forward momentum.

I will have it checked out though...

Thanks, as ever,  to all your helpful hints, and experience. :D

In which case I would suspect your tyres were possibly at fault. New tyres take around 500-1000 miles to bed in, and provide far less grip until they have around that sort of mileage on them. The fact the problem has seemingly solved itself would suggest to me it was the tyres.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, time for an update.

I have a non functioning haldex system at the moment.

I have a fault code 02248. Valve for controlling clutch operating angle, mechanical failure.

I have been told there is a repair kit, and that it costs over £800.

If there is any one on this forum who has a much cheaper fix, or solution/ideas, please feel free to leave a comment.

The car is safe to drive so I i'm not in a massive hurry to fix it.

I look forward to your helpful solutions!! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, time for an update. My haldex 4wd system has been fixed. Turned out to be the pre charge pump, as I suspected.

A massive thank you to the lads at Auto Fault Finder in Cheshire.

They quickly diagnosed the problem, and within one and a half hours, they had sorted my problem, and for less than half the original quote I received.

Thanks to all the people on this great forum who chipped in with there knowledge, and helpful hints.

:thumbup:  :happy: 

• Like 3

Not the controller then?

There seem to be quite a few of these threads popping up now on older 4x4's and Scout's due to water ingress / corrosion...

imag2520.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Not the controller then?

There seem to be quite a few of these threads popping up now on older 4x4's and Scout's due to water ingress / corrosion...

imag2520.jpg

Hi, no, they didn't even open the brains up, which surprised me a bit at first, but there experience told them that there was no problems with the printed circuit board.

They plugged in a laptop, and straight away he said 'its your pre charge pump!' 

He told me that when you have the rear axle serviced on these cars, for some reason, v.a.g. don't seem to change the little oil filter! 

As a consequence, the filter gets clogged up, and it burns the pre charge pump out. 

Can't thank the guys enough.  :D

• Like 1

Hi, no, they didn't even open the brains up, which surprised me a bit at first, but there experience told them that there was no problems with the printed circuit board.

They plugged in a laptop, and straight away he said 'its your pre charge pump!'

He told me that when you have the rear axle serviced on these cars, for some reason, v.a.g. don't seem to change the little oil filter!

As a consequence, the filter gets clogged up, and it burns the pre charge pump out.

Can't thank the guys enough. :D

I got filter changed with the oil at my mate's garage. Seems daft to have a replaceable filter but no schedule to change it. That and it didn't cost much more than the dealer wanted to just change the oil.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I got filter changed with the oil at my mate's garage. Seems daft to have a replaceable filter but no schedule to change it. That and it didn't cost much more than the dealer wanted to just change the oil.

Hi trundle, apparently the little filters are very hard to get hold of, on there own. 

I don't get why they (v.a.g official dealerships) don't change them. 

I am just very pleased to have found a cost effective solution to my problem. 

Hopefully other people with a similar problems with there 4x4 systems fill find this information helpful, just like i have found other posts on this forum so helpful.

Many many thanks to all the guys and girls on this forum.  :thumbup:

Hi trundle, apparently the little filters are very hard to get hold of, on there own.

I don't get why they (v.a.g official dealerships) don't change them.

I am just very pleased to have found a cost effective solution to my problem.

Hopefully other people with a similar problems with there 4x4 systems fill find this information helpful, just like i have found other posts on this forum so helpful.

Many many thanks to all the guys and girls on this forum. :thumbup:

As you have a face lift octavia with the newer version of the Haldex system (v5?) then the filter is listed as non replaceable. The problem the dealer has is the official VAG documentation does not include for a filter change regardless of the Haldex version fitted, they have to follow what the documentation says.

As you have a face lift octavia with the newer version of the Haldex system (v5?) then the filter is listed as non replaceable. The problem the dealer has is the official VAG documentation does not include for a filter change regardless of the Haldex version fitted, they have to follow what the documentation says.

Yeah, you are correct of course, i think i have a version 4? I just think it is crazy that it is not down as a serviceable item. Its obviously causing people problems.

At least now i am all clued up for future servicing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you are correct of course, i think i have a version 4? I just think it is crazy that it is not down as a serviceable item. Its obviously causing people problems.

Hello folks,

Yes you are right about that filter,dedicated to Haldex 4gen.All statements from the Skoda/VAG official services that there is no filter or filter is non-serviceable is false and it could be proved by the practice .There is a filter inside and the same must be replaced together with the "Haldex" coupling oil(every 45k miles) .The same had been done 1 week ago to my car and it was clearly visible that this is a first service of the component(100k miles on the clock).At the same time Volvo for instance, recommends replacement of absolutely the same filter at each 60k km(40k miles approx.).Another issue is that the filter replacement kit is not among the spare parts neither of Skoda nor VW.In case of non-replacement of the filter/oil could be expected such an issues as fault of the pump or valves itself and damage of the "Haldex" system!In case that you need to see the pictures from my old filter ,please do not hesitate to contact me.The old filter was full by fine particles and sludge inside i.e almost clogged and faulty!

Edited by zar
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Your car is equipped by 4-th Gen. of Haldex. 100%sure :D.All procedures i've done to my car, regarding the AWD system should be applied to yours as well  :D

Edited by zar