Tow bar prep already fitted?

Just picked up a nearly new 1.4 tsi estate (made may 2015 and just missed the upgrades of MY2016. Darn, would have liked better audio head unit) and I need to fit a tow bar for a trailer.

Its going to cost a bit more to fit than the one on my focus which i bought and attached for about £100, but grateful if anyone could advise how you can tell if the car has Tow bar prep installed?

Thanks in advance

Mine didn't have "towbar prep" (whatever that is) and when I asked the dealer for a price for a detachable, hidden towbar the price was such a joke I couldn't even bring myself to mention it. Got it done privately for £330 on my driveway and couldn't be happier with it.

Edited by Dr_Pepper

Mine didn't have "towbar prep" (whatever that is) and when I asked the dealer for a price for a detachable, hidden towbar the price was such a joke I couldn't even bring myself to mention it. Got it done privately for £330 on my driveway and couldn't be happier with it.

It is pricey but the bonus with the genuine kit is integration and warranty approved.

• Like 2

If you do have a tow bar prep and want a Skoda tow bar I have one that I will never use so Im sure we can work out a price. I have two keys for it. And it will slot straight into the tow bar prep that is fitted at the factory.

My car was fitted with tow bar prep from the factory. I.e electrics. Attached to chassis. Then the actual tow bar hook slots into the tow bar prep is an accessory you buy or used to be when the octavia 3 was introduced. I just dont need the actual hook that slots into the factory prep, as removing the prep would be more hassle than its worth.

I thought tow bar prep was just the wiring and control module. No actual tow bar is fitted, that would be a factory fitted tow bar.

No module, just the wiring loom for the standard trailer (not caravan) electrics from the fusebox to the n/s/r quarter panel ready for the module and loom to the socket to be fitted.

Either that or my towbar prep is missing a trailer module :(

I'll check my boot sticker for the PR code tomorrow.

How much was the dealer price if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking of getting one fitted myself.

How much was the dealer price if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking of getting one fitted myself.

"£1000+" was mentioned and that was only for a fixed one which I didnt want, so I walked out. With the local guy you don't get the parking sensors disabled but who cares. everything else is top notch.

"£1000+" was mentioned and that was only for a fixed one which I didnt want, so I walked out. With the local guy you don't get the parking sensors disabled but who cares. everything else is top notch.

Can't you get a proper kit fitted that integrates with the CAN system? The ABS, Engine and Front Assist need to know as well ......

A proper kit has theft protection as well when the alarm is set.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So he just used a bypass relay and chopped into the rear light wiring?

So he just used a bypass relay and chopped into the rear light wiring?

I don't know the details to be honest, but everything works great.

I am surprised to hear that the engine or ABS has anything to do with it? What difference does it make to them? I have had towbars on all my cars over the years fitted by dealers and local guys alike and I've never heard anything about that before.

I am surprised to hear that the engine or ABS has anything to do with it? What difference does it make to them? I have had towbars on all my cars over the years fitted by dealers and local guys alike and I've never heard anything about that before.

ESC/ESP will compensate for trailers etc when used with factory kits. You may never need it but on the off chance I'd certainly want it available.

From: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/hotspotdetail?HotspotName=S05+-+TSA+%5BOctavia%2C+Yeti%2C+Superb%5D&Page=technology&PageUrl=%2Fen%2Fmodels%2Fyeti%2Fpages%2Ftechnology.aspx&view=TechnologySafety&WebID=e9741374-c026-48a1-bcc1-7136e03f01ef&WebPartID=

Trailer Stability Assist
While towing heavy trailers, like caravans, an unwanted wallow of the whole assembly may occur. Without the help of electronic, regaining stability requires focused attention and even very experienced driver may fail to tackle the situation.

The trailer stability assist solves these problems. The TSA is included in the ESP electronic stability system and is activated if the vehicle is equipped with the tow hitch with it’s own ECU.

The system is based on braking the one or more wheels individually, while limiting the torque at the same time. The TSA is activated if tendency to wallow or wobble is detected. This can happen while towing heavy trailer or caravan. The TSA intervention results in regaining the stability of both car and driver, contributing to safety.

Because when towing ECO mode will not 'coast' and the ABS module alters the brake bias.

I wouldn't be sure that a bypass relay setup would be type approved ....

Eco Mode will not enable when towing electrics are connected, if in Eco it will automatically chance to Drive/Normal mode. Coasting in Eco downhill would be a bit bloody dangerous and selling a car on without informing the new owner it's a dodgy toolbar is something I couldn't do and sleep nights. But each to their own I guess

Regards

T

• Like 2

Agreed, sounds like a dangerous bodge job you could end up being liable for. I would question the insurance implications as well as it isn't an approved accessory and don't all towing kits need to have approval nowadays?

"A dangerous bodge job" very dramatic - let's not get too carried away here. It was an extremely professional firm and a branded product. I appreciate and am interested in the details you guys have provided but I don't think those things you mention are exactly the be all and end all. In fact I'd almost be tempted to think it's Skoda's money making opportunity at work. if the car does make those adjustments, how would it know whether it's a 25kg bike rack or a 1 tonne of caravan attached? What about old cars that didn't have abs or ecus? Were they all dangerous and bodged? My car's a manual but if it's dangerous to coast in eco with a trailer can't you just put it in normal? As you say, each to their own but I'm happy with the huge saving and a great product. I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything I'm just interested in the detail.

But doesnt the factory towbar prep also alter something with the cooling system?

A cousin of a friend of mine has/had an O3, and he ordered without towbar prep. But he later found he needed a tow bar. He mentioned that a factoryfit prep included changes to coolingfan and/or radiator. And perhaps a bigger alternator. It was a while back, so I dont remember the details. And this guy works at the local skoda dealer.

But doesnt the factory towbar prep also alter something with the cooling system?

A cousin of a friend of mine has/had an O3, and he ordered without towbar prep. But he later found he needed a tow bar. He mentioned that a factoryfit prep included changes to coolingfan and/or radiator. And perhaps a bigger alternator. It was a while back, so I dont remember the details. And this guy works at the local skoda dealer.

I've heard that elsewhere as well,  but never seen any evidence of it.

"A dangerous bodge job" very dramatic - let's not get too carried away here. It was an extremely professional firm and a branded product. I appreciate and am interested in the details you guys have provided but I don't think those things you mention are exactly the be all and end all. In fact I'd almost be tempted to think it's Skoda's money making opportunity at work. if the car does make those adjustments, how would it know whether it's a 25kg bike rack or a 1 tonne of caravan attached? What about old cars that didn't have abs or ecus? Were they all dangerous and bodged? My car's a manual but if it's dangerous to coast in eco with a trailer can't you just put it in normal? As you say, each to their own but I'm happy with the huge saving and a great product. I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything I'm just interested in the detail.

Sorry, bypass relays on a CAN based car are a bodge job.

You don't have to go with Skoda, a proper Westfalia or Witter kit includes the towing control module and a professional fitter will make the necessary coding changes to the other systems on the car. Front Assist and Lane Assist need to know that a towbar is fitted as well as the BCM, CAN Gateway, ABS & Engine.

I would ask your dealer if the fitting of a bypass relay would invalidate any warranty on electrical systems.

Try PF Jones for a quote, you may find out that a proper towbar and dedicated wiring kit isn't as expensive as you think. I would also take their advice on electrics as a professional towbar supplier and fitter.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-electrics-guide.html

And take a look at the wiring kits they sell for the Octavia - not a universal bodge job kit in sight ...........

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-wiring-kits/skoda-towbar-wiring-kits/skoda-octavia-towbar-wiring-kits.html

I don't understand why people will spend £15k plus on a car the try and save £100 on a towbar .....

• Like 1

The following is what happened when a "professional" tow bar fitter/ company fitted a Skoda bar to my VRS 4 yrs ago.I have included the photos that were sent to the dealership.

Ordered the VRS and the factory fit option of tow bar prep so as I could fit the Westfalia or similar myself afterwards. I had an issue with the car on delivery and the dealer agreed to fit the official tow bar.

The independent fitter for starters got the socket the wrong way round which meant I could not insert the plug(which was good when I need the lights on a large trailer around midnight).

As you can see he butchered the sealing grommet, which has the wiring sealed from the elements. 

After the initial moan to the dealer, the fitter came back and then cut off the proper wiring and replaced it with a standard socket which had no chance of keeping out the water. So after another larger moan to the owner and the service manager, 

they ordered another wiring kit and fitted it. It then took multiple visits to get the coding sorted to stop the parking sensors going ballistic when reversing with the trailer.

Placed an order for a VRS in Jan and have specced it with factory fit towbar - took the easy option and paid the money. I was offered a non factory fit bar with a relay and switch to disable the parking sensors  to be fitted on delivery - I declined..

I assume that all those that have after market bars fitted have informed their insurance company?. Insurance companies must be informed of all modifications or else they can wriggle out of a claim 

post-81430-0-38888600-1456184199_thumb.jpgpost-81430-0-75682500-1456184199_thumb.jpgpost-81430-0-08724300-1456184200_thumb.jpgpost-81430-0-44570500-1456184200_thumb.jpgpost-81430-0-80558600-1456184200_thumb.jpgpost-81430-0-14820000-1456184201_thumb.jpgpost-81430-0-47378800-1456184201_thumb.jpg