DSG and uphill/downhill driving

delitfol

Hi guys,

Not a Skoda specific one but the same platform, I have a 6 speed DSG 3.6 Passat CC and seem to be having an issue with driving uphills where the DSG changes into 4th, then immediately back to 3rd and then back to 4th sometimes etc, without me changing the throttle angle or the Hill angle changing.  Its almost as if it cant make up its mind.

I'ts obviously fine in Manual or Sport, Sport - it holds 2nd and 3rd for longer so doesn't seem to be as fussy with hills.

Is this a problem?  

I have already tried adjusting the DSG using VCDS and by doing a basic settings reset.  It works for a few days, but then starts learning and changing gears at again lower rpm and then the issue re-appears with hills.  Its also had a recent (last year) DSG oil change.

Do you think its anything related to an intermittent VCDS error code for a "Vehicle inclination sensor" ?

Does anybody have experience of the DSG and know whether the DSG relies on this sensor for analysing the cars angle of climb?  Is there a possibility that the dealer didnt do the DSG oil service correctly/fill level is wrong?

I have also noticed the odd occasion when changing down manually at a roundabout mid-turn, the DSG farts and borks for a second before it selects 2nd (from 3rd for example), then gives me the gear and i shoot away.  Its really annoying as all of my power (mapped to around 330bhp) arrives at higher RPM so it will always need to be cogged down to pull away.

If you have an intermittent inclination sensor problem that MAY be why.

I have the 7 speed DSG.

It's temperamental and has a mind of its own determing what it wants to do and what's best for the car. Mine does it sometimes.

Personally I'd put it down to its character. But if you have that error then maybe in your circumstance there maybe something wrong.

It may be the inclination sensor, or it may just be that you happen to be right on a change point and it's hunting between gears.

So, does this happen on a variety of hills or only ever on the same stretch of one specific hill?

• Like 1

Apart from looking into the possible inclination sensor issue, just nudge it over to manual (semi auto) when in the correct gear and back again at the top of the hill.

I have an occasional run when I hit a dip then a hill and because of the dip just before, it nearly always changes up to fifth just as the hill starts, then has to change back again, unless I intervene.

Thanks guys, no judder between 1st/2nd, the off kangeroo effect from 2nd>1st but thats usually because im stopping quickly in traffic.

It is repeatable on any hill really, but yep, i can always replicate it on the same hill.

I've been looking and can see the speedo jumping around slightly, the needle doesnt stay 100% still, so could it be confusing the engine jumping between say 29/30/31mph?

I'd say that the inclination sensor is definitely a good place to start! Since the gearbox uses this sensor to determine if you're climbing or descending a hill and change down accordingly. A dodgy/out of range reading from the sensor may be causing it to get confused

Thanks guys, no judder between 1st/2nd, the off kangeroo effect from 2nd>1st but thats usually because im stopping quickly in traffic.

It is repeatable on any hill really, but yep, i can always replicate it on the same hill.

I've been looking and can see the speedo jumping around slightly, the needle doesnt stay 100% still, so could it be confusing the engine jumping between say 29/30/31mph?

Hopefully you're under warranty. I'd get the box looked at by the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed! i now have a DSG that makes its mind up when it comes to hills! rear axle inclination sensor was the cause, front one working fine so i suppose it just couldnt tell what was going on with one sensor

Thanks all.

Edited by delitfol
  • Like 1