Spark Plug Question

I'm looking at changing my spark plugs and have seen various threads recommending NGK 6's or 7's or Denso plugs, mine is a standard car with no mods I was edging towards the Denso plugs but just wanted to check which are the best ones?, also does the engine cover just pull off?

Thanks

Yes the Plastic Engine Cover pulls off, easily.

Then you need to do the bit which is more involved, not difficult, but you need the Tools.

You need to remove the Ignition Coils.  So a Tool is useful to do that easily.

At the drivers side it is easier if you make room moving some pipework.

Then the long reach plug spanner. (thin wall.)

You need to check the gap before putting the plugs back in.

I put them in using a bit of rubber pipe, makes sure they go in and are started easily on the thread.

(Some just use the Plug Socket with rubber grip, but you need to be careful.)

Do not knock the gap out of the setting, and do not cross thread the plugs.

I recommend the DENSO plugs because they are worth every penny.

If in doubt, get help from someone that knows what they are doing, taking out the plugs and putting the Pipes back, sealed properly, 

and the Ignition Coils on.

post-86161-0-43164500-1458043085_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-93251800-1458043116_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-56699200-1458043153_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-08308400-1458043180_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Thanks for the help, I'll be ordering the Denso's this afternoon, there's a local garage near by so I'll prob just nip in there to get them to fit the plugs, as I'd be bound to break something lols

Edited by scoobysn7x
  • Like 1

Ask if they are used to this type of engine. Be happy that they are competent, it is not difficult, but easy to mess up.

They need to be careful with the Breather Pipes and the Turbo Pipe seal if the move it.

Plenty have found to their regret that even a Main Dealer Technician can be a bit handless when changing the plugs, 

even when charging near £100 to do so at Service Time.

its a fairly easy job if you got the tools or if you know someone with them . 

you just need to replug all 4 wires on each coils . 16 wires in total . 

then just stick em on the spark plugs . ( beware the R8 coils are like 1cm longer and dont seal the plug holes anymore incease you like to wash you engine)

OEM audi part number is 06E905115E . but they cost 55€ each . ( guess that audi print is made of gold)

or you can just buy the NGK one wich is the same but without the audi print 

the NGK one is called "NGK U5014" and will cost between 28 - 35€

https://www.ngk.de/nc/en/product-finder/produktfinder/PKW/ZUENDSPULEN/AUDI/R8/U5014/816/

they also give a nice touch to the engine bay

1614130_1678219642437871_551767415328893

• Like 2

wire setup instruction .

gallery_71709_1964_102486.jpeggallery_71709_1964_70933.jpg

You should do a more in depth guide on this. There's quite a few people who have been wanting to do this mod but not pulled it off. I for one would like to hear more about it. What improvements have you noticed

• Like 1

I'm assuming if I were to change the coils it would invalidate my warranty with the chaps from Skoda down the road, because I'm interested in getting all new coils and spark plugs but would it be better just handing them into them when I'm due my service and requesting them to fit it... or don't you reckon they'll do that for me.

You should do a more in depth guide on this. There's quite a few people who have been wanting to do this mod but not pulled it off. I for one would like to hear more about it. What improvements have you noticed

will do , after around 600 miles on the autobahn i can say you will notice the difference ^^

will do , after around 600 miles on the autobahn i can say you will notice the difference ^^

Look forward to it. Be interesting to see how they affect the life span of the plugs whether that be for the better or not

some numbers for the geeks for comparison . stronger coils increasing the spark wich is needed at higher boost preasure . i had missfiring issues on mine and now its all gone .

also the okada coils do cost around 750€

standart: 3.3 M ohms 
5 zylinder: 4.75 M ohms 
R8's: 5.31 M ohms 
Okadas: 6.2 M ohms

• Like 2

Quite a difference there with the figures then. is your car mapped? as stated above with a map you might see an even bigger difference, l might give this a go next month, i get the feeling i'm having some issues with misfiring at the moment.

The diagrams are very useful, im wondering how easy it would be to make up an adapter rather than recable it. 

you can get a ignition cable repair set at your dealer or on ebay . and just modify them . so you have oem cables and R8 mod cables . 

yes mide is moded with the apr stage 2 (testpipe file) . intake , intercooler , dp 100 cell straight pipe bla bla.

• Like 2

its a fairly easy job if you got the tools or if you know someone with them .

you just need to replug all 4 wires on each coils . 16 wires in total .

then just stick em on the spark plugs . ( beware the R8 coils are like 1cm longer and dont seal the plug holes anymore incease you like to wash you engine)

OEM audi part number is 06E905115E . but they cost 55€ each . ( guess that audi print is made of gold)

or you can just buy the NGK one wich is the same but without the audi print

the NGK one is called "NGK U5014" and will cost between 28 - 35€

https://www.ngk.de/nc/en/product-finder/produktfinder/PKW/ZUENDSPULEN/AUDI/R8/U5014/816/

they also give a nice touch to the engine bay

1614130_1678219642437871_551767415328893

Is that a tmc performance intake? How do you rate it looks like the itg and polo wrc one

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

the tmg intake uses a cone style filter inside , the ITG uses some kind of foam wich works good also . 

for bouth options need the adapter to turn the batterie by 90° wich you can buy there also . (iam not sure if they fixed it it still seems that it doesnt fit 100% on the fabia)

• Like 1