VRS is going thanks for all the help

Just a quick message to say sadly I'm letting the VRS go, it had all the breather mods done last year along with the oil jets, and ECU update, but it is still using oil, I've spoken to the dealer principal where the work was carried out and to SUK, and basically as good will was applied last year I would not get any further goodwill, I tried arguing that the work done last year hadn't fixed whatever the underlying issue is as the car only just passed a consumption test after the work had been done, but they are not interested. They could only suggest re doing the oil tests but that the only action left on another failed test is am engine rebuild, or new engine.

The oil consumption is not the only issue it seems to be eating spark plugs especially in cylinder 2. So after taking a week to think about it I've decided the best option is to trade the car in, yes I'm taking a hit on the trade in value, but this hit is a lot less than the hit of a engine replacement.

So at the weekend I agreed a deal on a Astra 2.0 CDTI Elite, not the most exciting drive after the VRS, but it quick enough, and has just about every extra available.

I would like to thank everyone on the forum as it's been a great help to me during my ownership, I'm just sad I didn't manage to find a good VRS. For reference I would avoid YY** **, as its definitely got issues.

Edited by scoobysn7x
  • Like 3

Got it in March, seen a bill for an oil consumption test no long after I got it, so rang SUK to find out what info they had, they confirmed 2 oil consumption tests done in OCT/NOV last year, then a crap load of work done to the car, but they couldn't confirm exactly what was done. It them basically took them 4/5 weeks between being passed from the dealer to SUK to ascertain exactly what was done, being honest if this had happened quicker (as it could quick easily have done had they not decided to be silly/unhlepful) I probably would had tried to refuse/return the car, it came with a 3 month warranty but the garage (NON skoda) say engine classed as wear and tear.

Eventually SUK, and the dealer that did the warranty work, confirmed what was done, and at the same time the Skoda dealer advised that the VRS can use a litre of oil per 6-800 miles. Which I now know to be *******s, the car is still using quite a bit of oil which apparently it shouldn't be after the mods done last year.

Skoda garage advised if I'm still concerned with the oil consumption, to get another consumption test done, but that I would have to pay for it, and if it failed would mean new/rebuilt engine, and as goodwill used last year for the work I would not get any good will contribution.

Complained to SUK last week got escalated to a manager, and basically got told they would let me have an oil consumption test for free, and that they MAY contribute to a new/rebuilt engine, but they could not confirm this until after it failed a consumption test. After a bit more argument the manager confirmed that SUK did not decide if goodwill would be applied, and that would be at the discretion of the Dealer doing the consumption test, after more pushing he agreed to contact my local dealer and find out how likely a contribution would be. Called them called me back, and said that the dealer had said no chance of getting a contribution for a new/rebuilt engine, so its basically free oil consumption test and then I'd be on my own

So that means keep topping up with oil, changing spark plugs until the engine goes pop, then pay for a replacement/rebuilt/second hand engine, or take a hit now and change the car As the hit to change the car is £800 I figured that's a better cheaper option than the alternative.

Its sad I love the VRS, but the oil/spark/coil issues have made me paranoid driving it, and I'm just not enjoying it anymore.

In hindsight I think the previous owner got the work done in Nov, ran it, noticed it using oil and when faced with the same option I am, punted the car on in Feb. I'm pretty sure he traded it in to the skoda dealer that did the work, and they either punted to an auction, or sold it direct to the garage in Carlisle that I got it from. I also find it odd that the cars service history is meticulous apart from what was done last year, and that this had been purposely removed, and they just missed the one bill for the first consumption test as this was stapled to another receipt.

But can't prove any of that have to put it down to experience and take the hit

Edited by scoobysn7x

You've obviously explored all available avenues. If you can't enjoy the car because you're scared the engine will go pop then getting shot is definitely the way to go.

Sorry to hear you are having to get shot.

I think the Dealer Principal and others might have mislead you or actually just lied.

Goodwill Gestures do not even enter into things and the matter had not reached the end of the line.

Skoda UK would in the end have paid to fit a replacement engine.

VW knew of the Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Component Choices and Quality Control Issues.

The various attempts at fixes, breather mods, software updates, new oil squirters etc were still failures with many as it turned out.

There are lemons out in the car trade of the 2,900 or so Mk2 Fabia vRS due to Skoda UK not getting these bought in an new engines fitted.

The new Brand Director at Skoda UK knows the issues and there seems to have been changes for the better since the waste of space he replaced got promoted up the VW Group.

I hope you have better luck with the replacement car.

PS

Do you want to name the Skoda UK manager you spoke to,

or maybe were they a 'Communications Manager' that tells all sorts to customers following the version they were told to.

At least Tom Chadwick, John Good and Dan Wilson knew in the end that playing customers off as though there was no real issues was a waste of time and if they were called to court as a witness they would have to reveal 

the failures VW , Skoda, Audi and Seat had 2009-2014 with Euro 5 1.4 TSI Twinchargers 132-136 kw.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

The manage I spoke to was Nathan ( I don't think I got his surname), he categorically told me any decision on wither or not Skoda would help towards the cost of an engine was down to the individual dealer. To be honest he wasn't the best as he agreed that really the issues with the car should have been investigated further in November as after the work had been done the car should not have used oil, and the fact it was only just within limits for the 3rd oil consumption test should have been investigated further. He went on to say in his opinion I had a good claim to get assistance from SUK towards a new engine (if it failed the consumption test), so it started positively, but then he started back tracking and advised it would be down to the dealer to decide how much assistance if any would be given towards the cost. Then finally once he had spoken to the dealer in question he came back and said no help or contribution would be offered from SUK beyond a free consumption test, now I'm pretty sure if I had the test done failed and complained like a stuck pig I may have got some assistance from Skoda towards the costs, but I just couldn't see them footing the full bill for the engine, and its cost me £800 to change to the Astra and I'm pretty sure even with some contribution I would have been expected to pay more than that towards the engine. In all honest I just didn't feel comfortable in the car anymore, and as much as I really liked it I was just getting fed up with it. I have sent a rather stroppy email to the Duncan Movassaghi bloke, not expecting anything but more just to vent my frustration as I think the whole thing was very avoidable.

He did let slip that the Skoda dealer in Hull took the car in part ex, so I think they knew full well the car had outstanding issue which is why it ended up the other end of the country in Carlisle, I suspect they probably punted it to an auction north of the border or, sold direct to the garage in Carlisle so they would have minimal come back. I think its shocking they put the car back out on the market when they knew there was issues.

Edited by scoobysn7x
  • Like 1

Nathan @ Skoda UK Customer Services Milton Keynes has been featuring in other threads like the Mk3 Octavia vRS TDI, 

'Have they reduced the size of the brake disks.'  type threads.

Talks sh!te it would appear.

Runs off at the mouth on this and that which have no actual basis in fact.

To be honest the whole experience of dealing with SUK has been crap, if they'd actually just confirmed what was done to the car ASAP instead of fobbing me off with data protection crap, and then playing to you to me, with the dealer that did the work I would have been in a position to maybe return the vehicle but as they managed to drag that out for about 5 weeks, then gave me the wrong info re what normal usage was, and they have to be the least helpful people I have dealt with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well drove past the garage I got my new car from and my VRS is on the forecourt now, up for £6999 I think the garage is dreaming TBH as the VRS only cost me £6400 in march & I put about 5-6k on it, so no chance they are going to get £6999 that stupid money!! especially with it being a grenade :-(