1.0 TSI

Cheers guys.  We finally test drove a 1.0TSI today.  I couldn't believe the engine. Apart from a slight three cylinder rasp in first gear, it is great through the rev range and pretty much silent once you get up to any reasonable speed.  Plenty of overtaking power too and no comparison to the ten year old 1.9PD unit it will replace in terms of refinement!  Anyway, its ordered now so should have it by the end of January, a few weeks after I hopefully get my Superb  :)

Edited by Superb170
  • Like 3

Having recently recieved my 1.0, I'm sharing my 2 cents in all the threads.

I'm not sure if it's the engine, or if the MY17 is better sound insulated than my previous MY15, but the 1.0 is very quiet. I'm running on studded winter tyres at the moment so A. They make a lot of noice and B. I'm breaking in the tyres so I haven't really hit the higher revs yet, but I can barely hear the engine.

My old 1.2 used to struggle a bit when starting from a red light, there was a bit of delay before the tourque set in. There's none of that with the 1.0. I'm guessing that they have changed the gear ratios. The first gear pulls well from zero, but it gets to 3000 rpm pretty quickly (again, I can barely hear it and I drive it like my old 1.2, but there's really no need to go over 2000 before shifting). Also, at the other end, the 6th gear doesn't need as high revs as I remember from the 1.2 but if that comes down to gear ratios or just the added tourque of the engine, I don't know.

I haven't done any overtaking yet with my car, but when I testdrove the 1.0 I didn't feel any lack of power on the motorway.

As for reliability, I'm crossing my fingers. I mean, they have tested the engine in the Audi A3 before they put it in the Octavia, so I hope VW knows what they're doing (although recent history sure has proven otherwise!)

Edited by Riolux
  • Like 1

Probably a bit frustrating getting a new car with snow on the ground but you are obviously pleased so far.

The engine is just a cut down and enhanced version of the small four cylinder and there is nothing to suggest that has any issues so you should be safe.

The interesting thing is the broad rev range the max torque is produced.

At 1500 rpm it's producing 175Nm