Spring ping / cluncking on full lock?

Guest BigJase88

Guest BigJase88

Only really happens on full lock when say reversing off my drive. Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is but its as if its spring ping / cluncking.

Happens at either side depending on how you turn the steering wheel.

The car has really low mileage (7k) and is on a 63 plate so i can't imagine something has worn out at that age?

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Guest BigJase88

suspension is stock.

Just had a look there and brake pads look like they are hardly worn at all.

Could be something like a bad cv joint or bad top mount. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything at such low mileage

Could it be the track rod ends? My car did similar and it is a known issue of a batch of contaminated grease in the track rod ends. My car is 63 plate and had them replaced under warranty.

Worth Checking maybe.

Guest BigJase88

Yes mine is a 63 plate. Its still under original warranty plus has an extra 2 years main dealers warranty. I guess i will pop in.

It could be cause it does not feel like a 7k mile car. Its handling is all over the road

Just the wheel end end, the also did a re-alignment after replacement.

Not saying yours Is definitely this but it does sound similar. The dealers will be aware of the issue.

Guest BigJase88

Okay well i will go in on friday

I bought the car at a main dealers but not from Skoda but i would rather Skoda sorted the issue :)

Guest BigJase88

Do you think they will cover it being a 63plate?

They better do cause i don't really want to explode but i will ;)

That sounds a bit nasty, duff/substandard track rod ends from TRW - surely if they are that bad they should be getting recalled.

Personally I just thought from the thread title "broken spring end" - which, at that age would be just as bad quality wise!

No recall was done or even a Service Campaign, there was even denial of any issue.

But there is a TPI because there was an issue known by Skoda & the VW Group.

So Skoda UK can pay up if the Main Dealership Technician identifies a fault.

I don't see why they wouldn't cover a 63 plate car especially as still under warranty and with such low mileage. As George says there is a TPI so confirmation of the issue following a visual inspection would certainly result in a FOC repair. As hard as it is be nice to them, pays dividends in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest BigJase88

Oh and the ignition barrel is faulty too. Sometimes when removing the key the ignition stays on. Like a stiff barrel

Poor

The clunking and pinging sounds like either a broken coil spring right at the top where it locates on the top mount, or a top mount bearing seizing up and skipping round.

Can you see the top mount under the bonnet? Is it rusty, alot of modern cars seem to collect water dripping off the scuttle. With yours being low mileage points to it not moving alot water could of gathered and soaked into top mount

Guest BigJase88

Car is booked into Skoda tomorrow so i guess i will have answers then

The car does not and hads never inspired confidence on the road. Feels very loose and not how i would expect a 7k mile car to drive.

I had just put it down to the fact that i had came from a 3 series bmw and just thought it was the charm of owning a small cheaper car, but im starting to wonder now

I've had the same problem. I've replaced a few things - track rods and the usuals. only things I haven't replaced are the driveshafts and cv joints which I believe to be the issue due to it only happening once the car stars moving. I put it on full lock and then as soon as there's any forward or backwards movement *CLUNK*

I've had this problem since 13,000 miles for 2 years and to be honest I've given up trying to fix it for the time being as it doesn't seem to have ever gotten worst.

Edited by daz1412

Guest BigJase88

I've had the same problem. I've replaced a few things - track rods and the usuals. only things I haven't replaced are the driveshafts and cv joints which I believe to be the issue due to it only happening once the car stars moving. I put it on full lock and then as soon as there's any forward or backwards movement *CLUNK*

I've had this problem since 13,000 miles for 2 years and to be honest I've given up trying to fix it for the time being as it doesn't seem to have ever gotten worst.

It could quite well be a cv joint.

Obviously today when i took the car in the clunk has disappeared but the sticky ignition reared its head again so they can crack on with that aswell as trying to find the fault

When mine was cold it actually got better. Once it had been driven for a good few miles it came back. Now it's just consistent there though, to the point I don't even notice it anymore cause I'm used to it.

If you manage to get it sorted - let me know what it is?

Guest BigJase88

Well they just sent me a video around the car saying everything was okay. I will phone them now

Guest BigJase88

I took the guy out this morning to try and replicate the noise. Which i couldn't do. Obviously as it was booked in to get a look at it disappeared.

When i then drove it away what happens?

Yup clunk clunk. You couldn't write it

Could you maybe video it? Then give it to the garage, if it's good enough to prove there is no fault then surely it is good enough to prove there IS a fault

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk