DSG clutch pack?

My 9 month old Fabia 1.2 SEL DSG is in the dealers having a new clutch pack, it went in because I had an issue with what I thought was a miss fire on the motorways when cruising at 65mph I could feel it " miss" a bit also when pulling away up hill slowly it would make a noise like the fan belt was slipping, it was also terribly jerky in traffic, the dealer tells me it's a clutch pack? It's always done it from new just got worse, has anyone else had issues with they're DSG? Oh and my horn stopped working too

This is a known occurrence on the 7 speed DSG... But very disappointing that they've not managed to fix it on the new generation cars yet!

It's like any clutch that can have manufacturing defects. The clutches in the 7 speed are dry clutches very similar to a manual clutch. Because of that they are prone to wear.

Hopefully a new clutch pack will sort it.

• Like 1

Sadly replacing Clutch Packs may not be enough and a new Mechatronic Control Unit will be required.

Skoda UK might want to approve the cheapest fix, but be sure to ask in writing about their commitment to repair properly, 

and ask to have an Extended Warranty put on the DSG work, not just Warranty Parts cover until the car is 3 years old.

They need to resolve correctly the Manufacturing fault and cause least inconvenience to the owner 

and give them confidence in their vehicle and not have to worry about future expense because Skoda UK or VW penny pinched on the repair.

If a new DSG is required, then that is what they need to pay out on, now or down the line, 

and they can not wash their hands of responsibility when the Original Manufacturers Warranty Expires.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/363360-dsg7-noise-when-changing-gears/page-2

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Hi GoneOffSKi, i picked up the car last night and it seems all good, it's like a different car changes are seamless and even the missing seems to be gone but time will tell, as to the warranty i have 3yrs from Skoda as i bought it new is this not enough? if it goes wrong again it will go straight back to the dealer and all repairs will be at  they're cost after 3yrs i'm in a new one (probably not Skoda though)

I will monitor it as i do 400 miles a week and update in a week or so.

Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

The dsg box it seems it very reliable these days. All the niggles on the early Mk2 Fabia's with the 7spd dsg are sorted so the Mk3's should be good. The master tech at my dealers has told me it's rare to get one go wrong now, and they are a popular transmission choice. They're bullet proof or thereabouts. I agree with GoneOffSki that it's good to have a warranty though for as long as possible. 

Edited by Estate Man

Is that rare because these are not in cars for as long as 2 years since the UK Recall on the ones that had Synthetic Oil in from the Factory.

Time will tell how reliable the Factory Built DSG are from 2014 on because there are issues, similar issues and like with used cars over 3 years old you never know until 3 years has passed, getting issues within 1 or 2 years is just a warning and hopefully VW / Skoda / Audi / Seat 

and Dealership Employees are all over it like a rash.

After all the other DSG World Wide Recall was in 2012, and no Service Campaign on them in the UK until May 2014 with Skoda UK,

or Seat UK, and all are still not done yet.

Can't say for sure GoneOffSKi. I'm relying on what the Skoda tech told me and my other VW contact. They did say that the earlier 105ps DSG box did show up issues quite early on and those were fixed. How fixed I don't know. But there have been no major or consistent issues, apparently, with the new box on the 110ps Mk3 or Polo's. I'm buying one so I feel confident. I know the techs very well and they are straight guys. I keep waiting to take one apart for myself to take a look, but the nephew hasn't had any DSG's in apart from some troublesome 1.4TSI VRs's and there hasn't been a gearbox issue with any of them. 

I am not aware of the DQ200 in the Twinchargers being any more troublesome than the DQ200 in the other various models.

Any of the the models had failures and that was across the VW, Seat and S-Tronic in the Audi's.

The World wide recall was on many cars, and so was the service campaigns.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

The Clutch Pack failures were not just involving the boxes fitted to the more powerful engines.

Time will tell if VW / Skoda got it right, but as it is they are now into the next generation of DSG and they will just hope yet again that memories are short on their past lemons.  It can be passed of as just a small number and i suppose out of millions built, thousands landed with big bills is small fry to VW.

• 3 weeks later...