Snow chains

Blaven

Octavia Scout 2011. In late November I remove my 17" alloys and fit my 16" steel winter wheels with Michelin X Climate 205/55 R16 tyres.

In the Scottish Highlands you never know what sort of winter you're going to encounter.

Lidls sells very inexpensive German snow chains. Has any one fitted them to a 4X4? Should you fit them at all? Should you fit them to the front wheels?,-or back wheels?-or all four? Or spend the money on their excellent beer?

If there's enough snow for chains I think you'll run out ground clearance. Can't see it getting icy enough for chains.

Thanks. Yeah but..........I'm thinking worst case scenario. We've a lot of minor roads up here which, as the gritting budget contracts, may not be gritted if major demands put on the main roads.

So, -I repeat my question,-Anyone any experience of snow chains on a 4X4??

You could always read the owners manual, namely the section labelled 'snow chains' ;)

Snow chains must only be mounted on the front wheels.

When driving on wintry roads, snow chains improve not only traction, but also the braking performance.

For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains with the following wheel/tyre combinations.

Wheel size - Depth (D) - Tyre size
6J x 15 a) - 47 mm - 195/65
6.5J x 15 a) - 50 mm - 195/65
6J x 16 a) - 50 mm - 205/55
6J x 17 B) -  45 mm - 205/50

a) Only fit snow chains with links and locks not larger than 15 mm.
B) Only fit snow chains with links and locks not larger than 9 mm.

Remove the full wheel trims before installing the snow chains.

Observe the national legal regulations relating to the use of snow chains and the maximum vehicle speed with snow chains.

I believe the depth is the ET of the wheel rim.
  • Like 1

If there's enough snow for chains I think you'll run out ground clearance. Can't see it getting icy enough for chains.

Have you ever been the highlands in winter. Not that icy, I've seen engine core plugs blowing out the block and that's when the antifreeze has a -20c reading on it.

Have you ever been the highlands in winter. Not that icy, I've seen engine core plugs blowing out the block and that's when the antifreeze has a -20c reading on it.

Living on Skye for 10 years, we've had two consecutive winters with hard freezes, one starting in November. I was unable then to get my freelander TD4 up my drive as snow had compacted and re-frozen. That was then, before road maintenance budgets hadn't really been squeezed. Not much left in the kitty now!

Again, I'm thinking worst case scenario. It doesn't take many cars to compact snow on our very minor road. Then its impassable.

With a 4x4 (especially a part time system as in the Octavia) it is advisable to fit chains to all 4 wheels.

Having said that they would still make a difference to have them only on the front and would likely get you unstuck if needs be.

In general though winter tyres should be enough to cope with most conditions. And that's speaking from experience driving in the Ski resort in Germany once with winter tyres fitted to our Pug 306 (front wheel drive only). Coped with iced up hills, deep snow left over night, snowy hills and a very steep (20%) driveway full off compacted snow and ice.

Snow chains should only really be thought of as an emergency backup should you find yourself completely stuck.

• Like 1

With a 4x4 (especially a part time system as in the Octavia) it is advisable to fit chains to all 4 wheels.

Having said that they would still make a difference to have them only on the front and would likely get you unstuck if needs be.

In general though winter tyres should be enough to cope with most conditions. And that's speaking from experience driving in the Ski resort in Germany once with winter tyres fitted to our Pug 306 (front wheel drive only). Coped with iced up hills, deep snow left over night, snowy hills and a very steep (20%) driveway full off compacted snow and ice.

Snow chains should only really be thought of as an emergency backup should you find yourself completely stuck.

Yeah. Obviously I've checked the handbook (which is for the Octavia, with no mention of 4x4 Scout).

My gut feeling tells me that, if you've got to fit snow tyres on all four corners, one should fit snow chains on all four also.

Its just that I can't find anyone who can give me chapter and verse on this. Maybe I'm wrong, and I do know how good ordinary winter tyres can be by themselves. Looks like I'll just have to spend my money on beer then. Someone has to do it!

• Like 1

Phil-E,

You will find areas of Scotland where people do have White Top roads for days and weeks on end and Snow Chains can be kept on for days or weeks even when winter (Snow Tyres) are fitted.

The Ski Centre access roads even in Scotland are cleared and prepared to allow vehicles access as soon as possible. 

and to allow the customers away again.

Customer getting access being essential to the viability of the area & not all customers have winter tyres fitted, so clearing and gritting is important.

That is not the case with many other roads or routes.  So basically Snow Chains are often not just an emergency backup even in the UK.

PS.

If temporary traction is required and just until back on Black Top or prepared roads then often 1 pair of chains on is enough, 

be that a Part Time or Full Time AWD.

Its a case of knowing what suits your needs or location.

If staying driving on top of Snow / Ice as the conditions are continuing then you need to go back on unprepared surfaces probably opt to have the Chains on Front and Rear.

Edited by Offski