Decat-ing now pointless?

Skyl1n3

I've been looking at getting my vRS decatted to give it a bit more of a grumble among other little things but the cons seem to just massively outweigh the pros, the biggest one is an MOT failure, I see a lot of decatted systems about but then I think how because isn't that an automatic MOT failure in this day and age, you can't just get a buddy who works in a garage to pass the MOT for you IIRC.

You have a few choices.

Knock the old cat out keeping it looking visually standard.

Get a dummy cat welded in place

Yes, get a friend to illegally pass it and hope no one finds out....

On a petrol there is no point having a dummy cat as the emissions test will still pick it up.

I've been looking at getting my vRS decatted to give it a bit more of a grumble among other little things but the cons seem to just massively outweigh the pros, the biggest one is an MOT failure, I see a lot of decatted systems about but then I think how because isn't that an automatic MOT failure in this day and age, you can't just get a buddy who works in a garage to pass the MOT for you IIRC.

If it's just the extra noise you want then best to get a cat-back system. The sport cat/downpipe option is only required for a stage 2 remap.

It would be interesting to see what the emissions readings were for a vehicle with and without a cat. I would have thought that as long as they lamda probes are still present, then the ecu will adjust the mixture accordingly?

It is interesting. Like those that are lucky to get a pass. Like mine last year that failed with it set on 'valet', the tester said because it had a decat. I had to change the map and then it got readings for a pass. This year it went in after a roasting and with 102 Ron fuel and set at stage 1. Pass

It is interesting. Like those that are lucky to get a pass. Like mine last year that failed with it set on 'valet', the tester said because it had a decat. I had to change the map and then it got readings for a pass. This year it went in after a roasting and with 102 Ron fuel and set at stage 1. Pass

Do you have a false cat, friendly tester or an undertray? :)

Thought that may be the case. A friend of mine (MOT tester too) told me years ago that as long as the tailpipe emissions are within limits, then there is no need for a cat. So in this modern day and age, what's to stop people having a dummy/gutted cat fitted for the visual check (or an undertray :) ) and a twin map - it worked for VW diesels after all........

Still illegal to not have a CAT, and it will be inspected if the accident is serious enough.

Then your insurance company might just check, loss adjusters might check enthusiasts forums, ie Briskoda.

They might invite you to withdraw your insurance claim.

Claim it was like that when you bought it if you like.

Best not post on an open forum if it is your road car and not declared.  & you can not Declare a Decat.

It would be interesting to see what the emissions readings were for a vehicle with and without a cat. I would have thought that as long as they lamda probes are still present, then the ecu will adjust the mixture accordingly?

The catalytic 'converter' actually changes the exhaust emissions chemically though.

On my old/first car, I had a new exhaust system and exhaust manifold fitted without thinking about the cat (very niave and silly at the time) so when it came to MOT time, surprise surprise, it failed on the emissions. Not actually by a long way if I remember rightly, I think if anything it was by quite a small margin and the tester tried several times to pass it but it wouldn't. I ended up ordering a universal sports cat from eBay for about £100-£150 and literally had it welded in to the exhaust system and it then passed with flying colours! My dad always said the car smelt a bit funny after I had the exhaust system done. Came MOT time I found out why!