New (to me) Skoda Yeti Adventure but Rust?

Roloyet

Hi all,

Please bare with me I am new to this although have been looking on here for some time. I finally decided to take the plunge and collected my new (63 plate) Skoda Yeti Adventure tdi 110 bhp in candy white at the beginning of December 16, after looking at this forum and hearing the great reviews. I have to admit I am very pleased with the purchase and for me it is better in nearly every department than my Audi A4 Avant Sline that it replaced.

Just one problem I have notice when cleaning it today, three of the doors have little spots of rust in the bottom corners. I was not expecting this for a three year old car that has only covered 30k miles. It appears that the three years manufacturing guarantee is just out so I was wondering how I stand with taking this directly to Skoda or am I better taking this to back Croxdale where I bought the car from?  

Any advice is much appreciated.

Steve

If you bought from a skoda dealer you get 12 month  skoda warranty as long as it is approved. The rust could be from other owner hitting the bottom of the door and chipping the paint take it back and ask them to rectify

• 12 months roadside assistance
  • ŠKODA APPROVED multi-point vehicle inspection check
  • Vehicle status checks
  • 30 day/1,000 mile exchange
  • 12 months Approved Used warranty on cars up to 6 years old/72,000 miles
Edited by skoda1982

Is this the dreaded zinc inclusions?
If it is the blisters will not have burst unlike a chip from stones.
If it is zinc inclusions it should be covered.

The Skoda warranty is as below.

3 years paint warranty

12 years body protection warranty on all new ŠKODAs

Edited by Urrell

If it's an approved used car from a Skoda dealer I would be getting it back within the 30 day/1000 mile return period and ask them to rectify. If they won't, return the car. Make it clear that you are aware that this is a 'known issue' so are disappointed that it wasn't pick up in the PDI that they are supposed to have done.

Edited by Falmouthboy

If it's an approved used car from a Skoda dealer I would be getting it back within the 30 day/1000 mile return period and ask them to rectify. If they won't, return the car. Make it clear that you are aware that this is a 'known issue' so are disappointed that it wasn't pick up in the PDI that they are supposed to have done.

The OP states that the damage is to the bottom corners of the doors. That does not sound like the zinc inclusion problem.

However I will agree the dealer should still have noticed.

Hi, Sorry for my delay in responding. Having looked at the paint work in more detail there are about 8-9 spots of rust or bubbling (bubbling tends to be in the centre of the door and the bubbling and rust spots on the edges) I will try and get some photos up when I work out how to do it. I am trying to figure out if I am better going back to the dealer  Croxdale Citreon where I bought the car from our directly to Skoda. The car does have full Skoda service history.  

Many thanks

Steven

If you contact Skoda directly they will tell you to take it to a dealers, so take it back to them.

Bubbling in the lower middle of the doors does sound very much like "zinc inclusions" and there have been numerous threads about that on here.

Sometime or other you will have to visit a main dealer for them to cast there "expert" eye over the affected areas,please do not use Benfield motors (now Lookers) at Newcastle,visited there bone idle service/warranty department a couple of years ago only to be greeted with apathy & disbelief that a Skoda rusts! I then visited Silbury Skoda & was treated like a long lost son,affected areas on car photographed & emailed to Skoda HQ & a resolution sorted in 3 working days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Skoda aren't interested in rust on the doors, it doesn't matter about warranty or anything else as this has to be a manufacturing defect being in the same place on both doors.  My 2010 Yeti started developing rust on the rear two passenger doors in 2015, I've been 8 plus times to Skoda garages, and round and round in circles, taken it to Skoda UK and even to the ombudsman,  thank goodness the end is in sight as I am getting rid of the car. I really wanted a new Yeti, but after the treatment I have received I'm off to Mitsubishi.

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

WOW. That is the worst case of tin worm I have seen for many years, going back to early 50s Fiats.

I try to change my cars every 3 years and having seen this I'm glad I do!:ohmy:

Fred

• Like 1

It appears that in my ignorance Skoda retailers would talk to Skoda UK and in my ignorance I did what the Skoda retailer told me to do but that wasn't what I should have done according to Skoda UK.

In 2015 I noticed the paint bubbling in the same place on both rear passenger doors and starting to blister.  So I went to a Skoda retailer, who told me I needed to go to their body shop (in another town), which I did, who told me they didn't do Skoda warranty work and sent me to the company that did do warranty work.  They made an assessment of the rust and recommended two new doors, which they sent back to the Skoda retailer.  I followed up with visiting the Skoda retailer a few more times to see where we had got to as well as visiting the company that did the assessment, who told me I needed to give the retailer a kick to get things moving.

That retailer then closed down.

Going to the Skoda retailer on the same site as the one that had closed down, I had another assessment, from someone who said the warranty wouldn't be honoured and that I should approach Skoda UK Customer Services, which I did.

When the quote came back for about £750, the work was going to be undertaken.  So off it goes to another body shop for a final assessment.  The price then comes back at just over £2000 and the work wasn't going to be undertaken.

According to the ombudsman my complaint is which the Skoda retailer that closed down, and if they had still been in operation I could have pursued them for my claim.

Also, the rust had got worse and although I had been to a Skoda retailer or a recommended Skoda repair shop over 8 times, I was deemed not to have pursued the case enough. 

My argument was and is that in 2015, it was recommended that I had two new doors.  It doesn't matter how much worse the rust has got in that time because I still need two new doors and it is now 2017.

I can't say how annoyed I am with Skoda Customer Services and the ombudsman could only say my case was against the closed down retailer (what use is that to me?).

Personally I do not see how a "Manufactures" paint/anti-corrosion warranty will not be honoured irrespective of who the selling agent was. Corrosion is corrosion and provided after an inspection, it is not down to a previous repair, it should be a valid claim against the manufacturers warranty.

Hopefully the OP's blisters/bubbling paint looks nothing like that. Just get your car to your local Skoda dealer and get them to inspect it.