DSG7 software update

Mine was taken in to perform an "update" to fix a lights warning message. They mentioned that there was a DSG update, but that the Skoda system was tempremental and they weren't able to apply it.

So it doesn't seem to be a recall, seems to be a "next time you're in" kind of thing.

Strange, it was almost an aside to the other update "Oh by the way there is a DSG update if our update systems work today" though I'll get it in soon, as I've heard horror stories about the 7 speed box and want to try and keep it running.

4 minutes ago, Croat said:

Mine says no recall for my VIN number. :)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Entered VIN...

Dear customer,
No relevant recall campaigns have been launched by ŠKODA for the entered VIN ....

And yet the dealer has a service ticket to update mine?

Strange.

DSG box seems to work fine, was a little jerky in uphill stop-start traffic yesterday in 2nd gear, though I would rather preventative work occur as I've heard the 7 speed can be flaky!

Edited by WillM82

I don't have a DSG7, I have a DSG6 in my 2014 vRS, but I have been trying for some time to get to the bottom of a very 'jerky' downshift issue when in D - 3rd to 2nd is especially harsh; it's slmost like you've jammed on the brakes extra hard.  It's been to the dealer three times, with the gear box sender unit replaced last time.  The latest from the dealer, when they were looking at the issue again this week, is that Skoda have advised that a software update is available and they are going to install it in a couple of weeks. 

So, as I say, not related to any DSG7 software update, but it seems there is also one available for the DSG6, and if anyone else has been experiencing the harsh downshift like me, it might be worth asking your dealer about the upgrade.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Ok today I was in service cuz i damaged my car (LRD), will open a topic for that. Any way they told me there's an update for the DSG. That there is some issue that can cause overheating and damage. They need to do the update free of charge. So

I will have to do that when I leave the car for repair.

Edited by Croat

Isn't it the DSG7 in the 1.6TDI ?

IIRC. Its only the wet DSG6 that requires frequent oil changes, kinda thought the dry DSG7 has some stupidly long inspection recommendation, might have been as mich as 150k km

Edited by themanwithnoaim
Cos I'm a **** without my glasses on

If that's the case then that's one less thing to worry about (other than the long term reliability of the DSG7 and dual clutches etc.).

I'd been told that the 40k service was important, though I never got a definitive answer if it was for DSG6, 7 or both.

Yeah only DSG6 (DQ250) requires an oil and filter change at 40k miles.

DSG7 (DQ200) has no scheduled change and is deemed "sealed for life" like their manual gearboxes.

Although I have always done regular fluid changes on all gearboxes even when there isn't a recommended change schedule.

22 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Isn't it the DSG7 in the 1.6TDI ?

IIRC. Its only the wet DSG6 that requires frequent oil changes, kinda thought the dry DSG7 has some stupidly long inspection recommendation, might have been as mich as 150k km

Yes mine is DSG7 and needs software update.

WillM82, 

Was your car part of the World Wide Recall that was only a Service Campaign in Europe, 

Synthetic Oil changed to mineral Oil and a Software Update, started by VW Group in the UK in 2013 and by Skoda in 2014 in the UK, 

no idea about Ireland.

This is the New Zealand Service Campaign, in Europe it can be DSG DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch from 2009-2014

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

They replaced MCU's.

The recent 'Service Campaigns' are a more recent thing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edit,

After VW said no need for a recall in the UK, they then negotiated with the DfT / DVSA that they could do a Service Campaign.

Lots of vehicles areoutstanding from having these done, because as usual not all Registered Keepers were informed.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall 

Edited by Awayoffski

Awayoffski, I'm not sure - it is a Nov 2013 built car which started life in Scotland UK.

Even in N.Ireland (without getting into politics...) it is covered by Skoda UK, if there are any recall notices.

I did put the VIN through the Skoda recall web app, however nothing was returned (despite the dealer suggesting that I need the DSG update but that their systems were down).

Does that NZ recall only affect 09-11 models?

4 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

WillM82, 

Was your car part of the World Wide Recall that was only a Service Campaign in Europe, 

Synthetic Oil changed to mineral Oil and a Software Update, started by VW Group in the UK in 2013 and by Skoda in 2014 in the UK, 

no idea about Ireland.

This is the New Zealand Service Campaign, in Europe it can be DSG DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch from 2009-2014

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

They replaced MCU's.

The recent 'Service Campaigns' are a more recent thing.

Kinda think that oil change was due only in tropical/hotter climates neither N. Ireland or Scotland are that warm even, in August !!!

NZ is NZ and not many affected vehicles.

Europe is another matter, so have Skoda UK Customer Services confirm any outstanding Service Campaign work, 

or any carried out.

& the Service Campaign Sticker should ne in the Spare Tyre well if done.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/314923-fabia-recall 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/295037-7-spd-dsg-recall 

Scotland and other places can have the same weather as New Zealand, wet, warm, hot, cold, humid / condensation, temperature changes or whatever, 

hence VW changed their tune, internal corrosion and loss of power happened, but DVSA let VW Group take the Pith.

*3 years ago a heat wave for 2 weeks in March in Scotland and 23*oC and then over night an over 20 degree drop, 

so not tropical, but then cars can sit in the sun and under the bonnet can be into the 40's o*C.

Condensation and corrosion was and is the issue, the difference is in Europe & VW's home market the Authorities and courts are not 

like in the US, Australia & other World Regions.  ie were actions get taken or Class Actions.

Edited by Awayoffski

Mine was done. Not sure if there is any difference while driving. I guess it's only prevention for some overheating. I found out that on mine Octavia on 30K km DSG was replaced or completely serviced. I am second owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my VIN and

Dear customer,
No relevant recall campaigns have been launched by ŠKODA for the entered

I have the DSG7. I have filled in the contact us form to see if my box is sealed for life or needs the 40k change.