VRS Timing Chain

YetiVRS

long story this one but I thought I would share it in case anyone else has the same problems.

my problems started December last year with the engine misfiring, soon afterwards I had the ECP light come on and the car go into limp mode, after pulling over on the hard shoulder and restarting the car seemed fine so I carried on only for it to happen again a bit later.

I phone my local dealer who told me not to drive the car and call Skoda Assist I was back at the office by then so I called them and they came and scanned the car and said there was a misfire logged on all 4 cylinders, they cleared the codes ran an ecu update and after road testing the car it all seems fine.

a few days later the problems were back worse than before so I booked it in with my local dealer for them to look at, I went to collect at the end of the day and they said they would have to have it back for a week to check more thoroughly as they couldn't trace the fault, I rebooked for the first week of January as they couldn't load a car for a week until then.

I dropped my car off and left in a very slow CityGo but at least it wouldn't stop on the motorway every hour, I rung them when a week was up to check it was all sorted but they said very sorry we've had a lot if illness and haven't managed to find out much on your car we will let you know how we get on tomorrow, I then started ringing every day to chase them because it seemed they had done pretty much nothing all week, over the next week they changed the fuel filter and not much else and were telling me they were baffled.

at this point I had had enough of the CityGo and was feeling pretty annoyed with the dealer so I rung Skoda UK who said they would contact the dealer to find out what was going on and I also contact the customer service department of the dealers parent company who told the dealer to change the CityGo for a larger car, I was called by the dealer who said they were still working on my car but had a Yeti I could have instead of the CityGo.

over the next 2 weeks they tried various things and finally told me that they were going to change the timing chain as it seemed to have stretched, they did this serviced the car at the same time and fitted new spark plugs at my request and I finally got the car back after 5 weeks.

so in conclusion it seems in addition to its other problems the twin charger can also suffer from timing chain stretch, on the upside my car doesn't use oil and now is as good as new again, and I also didn't pay a penny apart from the service as I had extended the warrantee.

• Like 4

Cheers,

normally they claim the DATA Protection and such nonsense but if they are sending it on then good.

Cars owners and future owners have every right to know what is done to their vehicles / engines.

It is good to see the correct cost when Skoda / VW are paying compared to what Customers that own vehicles are quoted for the same jobs.